TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Looks like all the major coaster activity is currently being focused on the East side of the US and Canada. I'm calling it now.... something big will be coming to the West Coast either next year or after. Not to mention if we are going to give away Deja Vu, we would like something awesome in return. On a side note, we are seriously dying here to have an Intamin giga/hyper, even a B&M hyper, airtime machine with a nice huge layout. Canada's Wonderland, (jokingly) I'll speak on behalf of the West Coast that we will gladly trade our Goliath for your Behemoth. You get our hyper that doesnt look like Leviathan and we get something that we could really use here. Deal?

Deja Vu+land already cleared for Mr Six Dance Coaster=space for new attraction

Exactly what I've been thinking... Plus the graveyard that is the unused space behind Terminator. Who knows, the reason they moved Mr. Six's Dance Coaster to it's new location could be due to some new plans. It will be sad to see Deja Vu go, but if a nice ride takes it's place I'll be excited. That is, as long as it's not a GCI wooden coaster that's taller than Apocinator by 50 feet.

I was at MM on Thursday, hoping summer crowds died down a bit. In comparison to July, it definitely did.

Deja Vu was open and running and even though I knew about the speculation of it being moved, the line for it was a little longer than usual so I passed up on, having ridden in it many times on previous trips. I didn't even get on X2 this time, I kind of changed the routine this time around

Anyway, Green Lantern did not stop on the MCBR like it had been doing a few weeks back, it was only slowing down and continuing right along. It was as fun as when I rode it in July. Am I the only one who wishes it had the drop after the lift that is available as an option on Intamin's website for the design versions of their zac-spin coaster?

Superman was running both sides. Tatsu was still running only one side of the station. Apocalypse was surprisingly empty, no need for the two extra queue areas, they were even skipping watching the new video segments (which was not the case in July, when both queue areas were being used.)

Colossus was fun, still feels a little smoother due to the work it had done in the Spring. Scream was a short wait, as usual. Goliath was running fine.

It seems to me that every time I go there, the pizza branding changes? either way it was good.

I'm glad Deja Vu will still be at MM in October, I plan on making a trip with a lot of friends then to ride Colossus with the reverse trains and get a final ride in Deja Vu.

well that sucks ._.'

Hopefully if Magic Mountain hopes to keep the crown while retaining a good variety of coasters, they'll get something that's in the east coast that the west doesn't have (or something the U.S. doesn't even have LIKE A MEGALITE)

As fun as those Mega-lites look, I think replacing the Vu with one of those would be just replacing a low capacity ride with another! I was looking at an aerial view of that area and I can't really see room for an exceptionally large anything back there except some flat ride! Magic Mountain seems like it's maxed out it's usable space for large full circuit coasters! I remember an employee on a tv show stating that the unique thing about this park was that all of the big coasters with the exception of a few were placed along the parks boarders, if that technically true, then where could they put a true Deja Vu replacement? Just food for thought!

As fun as those Mega-lites look, I think replacing the Vu with one of those would be just replacing a low capacity ride with another! I was looking at an aerial view of that area and I can't really see room for an exceptionally large anything back there except some flat ride! Magic Mountain seems like it's maxed out it's usable space for large full circuit coasters! I remember an employee on a tv show stating that the unique thing about this park was that all of the big coasters with the exception of a few were placed along the parks boarders, if that technically true, then where could they put a true Deja Vu replacement? Just food for thought!

Look at what they did with Tatsu. They built a full circuit roller coaster on top of the mountain, with a total change in elevation of 260-odd feet. Considering they had to redo the exit from Roaring Rapids, remove a piece of track on Revolution, and shut down the waterfall to build a footer, MM can find space to put a ride anywhere.

Now, there may not be as much space in the Deja Vu/Mr. Six/Graveyard area, but there's definitely enough for a custom Mega-lite (which I would not complain about), a short Blitz, hell, even a Eurofighter. There's always an idea I've had about building this massive out-and-back coaster along the back edge of the park; probable, no; plausible, yes.

Honestly, I don't see MM adding another big coaster project for a year or two, but I'm going to wait and see if/where the drop tower is being done.

EDIT: Nevermind, Elissa beat me to it.

I don't know what everyone is talking. Deja Vu is so awesome. After x2 its the most forceful coaster at MM. And I have been frequenting MM several times a season for the last 6 years since moving to L.A. and not once has it been down? I know the other clones were having problems but Ive never seen it down on any visit (so im talking the last 20+ visits) to the park.... DON'T GO DEJA VU!!!!

T

I remember reading on "the coaster guy" that there had been people meeting on the lot for mr. six's dance coaster. And now with dejavu being moved I think that they will have something planned for that area be it flat ride, wild mouse/spinning coaster, or mega-lite.

What's the average cost of an Intamin, Moser or S&S drop tower. 5-6 million I'm guessing.

I smell another multi-ride installation next year.

Both Heide Park and Liseberg had to pay around 8-10 million for their conversion's, and that's minus the tower.

So I'm guessing 10 millions at least for a 300 foot drop ride from Intamin.

And now, a Public Service Announcement...

NO PARK IS OUT OF ROOM, ESPECIALLY SFMM. Whenever you're about to post something about 'fitting in', or 'out of room', just don't.

Thanks!

Why would you come at me like that?

My comment/question was based off the notion of; if the park built most of their coasters along the parks boarder and they truly have, and this forum is wishing for a large coaster to replace Deja Vu; where would a great place to squeeze one in truly exist? Due to that previous land clearing and the void that the Vu would leave is causing some people to think that it's being prepared for something new and most enthusiast want the big dawgs. So based off arieal view, that area alone would not accommodate a large coaster like a hyper, giga or whatever else that's exceptional in height or length without it being stacked all over surrounding areas and attractions and in my opinion that might cause that area to look extremely cluttered! I'm sure they would hopefully apply thought and not just plop a ride down without careful consideration but I was just thinking through this forum and not talking out my butt. And just to be clear, I thought the land surrounding magic mountain was still owned by the Newhall land and Farming Company or Newhall Ranch which is why they haven't expanded in any of those directions and built Scream, Goliath, Green Lantern in their locations and Tatsu on the hill which produced that awesome custom layout. I had no idea you'd or anybody else would respond so snarky over a question that I had but I'm prepared for the flame spray to begin I guess over this one!!!

^ Tatsu could have been built ANYWHERE. Sure it was a custom layout, but it's not really built into the land like Revolution, Gold Rusher or even Ninja was. They just built it on top of the hill.

And even without building on the edges of the park, SFMM has PLENTY of room inside the park if they choose to get creative.

^ I agree. It's silly to think otherwise. Why do people always forget that it's always possible to build OVER things. Look at Tatsu or even Goliath (which goes right over Colossus). Even that small space where Deja Vu sits can lead over and out of that area.

I'm so sick of the "park is out of room" nonsense.