TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I humbly request some advice...

I want to visit the park this September. I'm looking at Sunday, Sept 4 (labor day weekend) or Sunday, Sept 11.

What should I expect crowd-wise? I've never been in September (or a holiday weekend).

Thank you, kind people.

"We have the most coasters of any park on the planet, oh wait, not anymore!"...lol

Given the recent dealings with Intamin if it is a new coaster I would not be surprised if it was from them, but who knows. Since they did clear out the space next to DV for a coaster they ended up putting somewhere else and with DV gone, that opens up a nice piece of land for something good, perhapse a nice intense compact Intamin full circuit coaster. I don't think a drop tower would go there as I agree with that being the back corner of the park it would not make sense but what do I know! Imo, IF a drop tower was coming, if it wasn't put somewhere on the summit then it would most likely go in the front or middle of the park.

It seems to me that the back corner of the park has always been kind of like the red headed step child of the park. In order to really get the crowds back there they HAVE to build a world class attraction. I actually think that whether or not they keep deja...which I hope they do.

I like the dive machine idea too, but we already have superman, which faces straight down; and x2, which flips you over your head into a vertical drop (way more badassness than a dive machine is capable of imho). SoCal needs an Intamin megaAnything.

Well I'm hoping the reason B&M decided to take on CW gigacoaster is b/c Intamin couldn't b/c they were already contracted out to build SFMM one...long stretch I know

Honestly I'm thinking the same thing. We have only heard one project worldwide for Intamin next year and B&M has three already (The Swarm, Leviathan, Dollywood 2012) and I think they have one or more still up there sleeve. So where does that leave the Intamins? Either they are having a soft year because people don't want to spend money (Yeah right; have you seen B&M prices?) or they still have announcements to make in the coming months. Hopefully this is the year Six Flags returns to active partnership with the #1 coaster builders on the planet.

Reading the above post about a shuttle coaster got me thinking of one ride ... Speed: The Ride.

I'm sure the park could get it rather cheaply, it's a great ride, most of the GP wouldn't recognize it from Vegas, etc.

For a park the size of SFMM, it's kind of odd that they only have one launched coaster, and that coaster now launches backwards.

I definitely agree, we need another launched coaster bad!!! Do they have room up the backside of the hill behind Tatsu and Ninja? That would be a nice area to add to the space already known. After looking at the satellite image, Imagine a launched coaster with good height like TTD or at least Xcelerator, launched from the lot cleared out for Mr Sixs dancecoaster, then a vertical hill where Deja Vu sits? Ok maybe that wouldn't work quite like that, but who knows...

Hi, kinda new-ish. I've been thinking about visiting SFMM with my kids (right now, they're 2 and 5). What age do you think the park starts being more appropriate for them to visit? I know a lot of rides won't open up to them until they're at least 4 feet tall (which my daughter is almost at) but should I wait a couple of more years before visiting?

^I have a four year old and she likes SFMM but there's not a lot for her to do there at 40''. Three kiddie coasters and the looney tunes kids area. This is all in one corner of the park. If your kids are tall and adventurous they are allowed on the water rides and two or three flat rides (scrambler, pirate ship, carousel). 42" will open up a few more things, but 48" is the magic number for SFMM. If they're into water parks at all Hurricane Harbor is a nice waterpark with quite a few things they would enjoy.

That being said, if you're talking about parks in general there are plenty of parks that both those kids would LOVE right now in SoCal like Legoland or Sea World or of course Disney. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

You know, Speed: The Ride does need a new home, and despite the fact that its short as hell...could be a nice EXTRA addition to whatever ride package SFMM gets next year....just lose the OTSR before it crosses the California/Nevada border, for Christ's sake!

Edited by daveydo5172

Thanks! Yeah, I figured somewhere like Disneyland is a better bet for young kids. We may be going there (Disneyland) this winter with my mother-in-law (her favorite place). It's just that the direction we come from (Fresno area),we pass SFMM on the way to L.A. and my daughter has pointed it out before, indicating she wants to go there. She definitely has an appetite for rides (LOVES Santa Cruz Boardwalk) but I had a feeling that SFMM was just too much in the way of older kids and adult rides and not enough kids stuff.

Do you think SFMM working with Intamin could happen especially after the out of nowhere announcement of Green Lantern last year?

-Cookie

I'm strongly thinking they are working with Intamin, whether it be a coaster, tower, or AQUATRAX!

Well I'm hoping the reason B&M decided to take on CW gigacoaster is b/c Intamin couldn't b/c they were already contracted out to build SFMM one...long stretch I know

Honestly I'm thinking the same thing. We have only heard one project worldwide for Intamin next year and B&M has three already (The Swarm, Leviathan, Dollywood 2012) and I think they have one or more still up there sleeve. So where does that leave the Intamins? Either they are having a soft year because people don't want to spend money (Yeah right; have you seen B&M prices?) or they still have announcements to make in the coming months. Hopefully this is the year Six Flags returns to active partnership with the #1 coaster builders on the planet.

I don't think so,I mean why if SFI is swimming in loot are they now relocating at least two coasters to other parks to pass off as "new"?It's because all that hapless spending of the past decade has come back to bite them in the a$$ that's why.

I think SFMM needs a full circuit Intamin coaster! (yeah I know technically GL is, but you know what I mean) If Deja gets the axe then I could totally see a Maverick style terrain hugging coaster weaving through the Deja site and along the back side of the mountain! But my dream would be an insane Giga starting by the Deja site and going out towards Riddler and Dive Devil and returning back with plenty of airtime and twisties!