TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I really, really, really wish the park gets Green Lantern's boarding process down easier. Do you think that doing grouping (getting groups of 4 or so together) would work at the merge with Flash Pass? How does Insane board? I do feel like two cars can be boarded at one, to avoid the waiting on the block break. Some trains wait up to a minute long! That is a long time if you are stuck up in the sun - really sucks.

We went today and they were loading two cars at the same time, you'll be happy to know there were no stops at the block brake, you just slow down a bit but the cars no longer come to a complete stop up there. That made for a more thrilling ride since the brake makes your car rock right before you head into the next drop.

^That sounds good. When I went a week ago, I got there first thing in the morning, and waited in a line that started just outside of the building. It ended up taking me about 40 minutes to get on. It was the absolute slowest loading ride I had ever seen (except for the ride operators at Deja Vu who literally did nothing but chill for 3 minutes before finally opening the loading gates). Hopefully SFMM gets really efficient with GL, though!

I really, really, really wish the park gets Green Lantern's boarding process down easier. Do you think that doing grouping (getting groups of 4 or so together) would work at the merge with Flash Pass? How does Insane board? I do feel like two cars can be boarded at one, to avoid the waiting on the block break. Some trains wait up to a minute long! That is a long time if you are stuck up in the sun - really sucks.

We went today and they were loading two cars at the same time, you'll be happy to know there were no stops at the block brake, you just slow down a bit but the cars no longer come to a complete stop up there. That made for a more thrilling ride since the brake makes your car rock right before you head into the next drop.

That sounds awesome they can load both cars - however I think it may be the crew working that shift who decides to do it. Have any videos? Would like to see if it is more efficient.

^That sounds good. When I went a week ago, I got there first thing in the morning, and waited in a line that started just outside of the building. It ended up taking me about 40 minutes to get on. It was the absolute slowest loading ride I had ever seen (except for the ride operators at Deja Vu who literally did nothing but chill for 3 minutes before finally opening the loading gates). Hopefully SFMM gets really efficient with GL, though!

There may be a reason for this, system reset or sensor problems, but who knows. I took a picture and uploaded it to TPR a few years ago of the Twister II station - I guess in the picture an employee was on their cell phone. Someone from Elitch Gardens saw the photo (even got uploaded to RCDB) and the employee received 'corrective action'...or so I was told.

PIC: http://rcdb.com/210.htm?p=16231

I feel like as enthusiasts, we are part of the Q.A. process to some of these parks. As long as we are respectable and understanding, it may be up to us to 'clean' up the parks as well. =/

Has anyone seen this article? Cedar Point.

SANDUKSY

A Six Flags park in California is the new roller coaster champion, but Cedar Point officials say the rival park wears a tarnished crown.

Cedar Point says the park's Superman: Escape from Krypton ride isn't a roller coaster, and it shouldn't be counted as such.

The Sandusky Register interviewed three roller coaster buffs, all of whom disagree with Cedar Point -- they say Escape from Krypton is a legitimate roller coaster.

Last month Six Flags Magic Mountain in Los Angeles announced that with the opening of its newest ride, Green Lantern: First Flight, the park now has 18 roller coasters.

That surpasses Cedar Point’s 17.

But Cedar Point spokesman Robin Innes says Six Flags is stretching the definition of “roller coaster” when it includes Superman: Escape from Krypton.

According to the ride’s official website, Escape from Krypton blasts riders along an L-shaped track that extends 415 feet into the air, giving them 6.5 seconds of weightlessness and plummeting them back to earth in a free fall.

It describes the ride as a “dual-track coaster.”

But the ride resembles Cedar Point’s Power Tower, Innes said, which lifts riders straight into the air.

Cedar Point does not include Power Tower among its official list of 17 coasters.

Escape from Krypton also resembles Demon Drop, a former Cedar Point ride. Referring to Six Flags’ Escape from Krypton, Innes said, “We would call it a free-fall ride.”

Innes also said the quality of Cedar Point’s coasters is second to none.

Six Flags, meanwhile, isn’t jumping into the fray.

A spokeswoman for Six Flags Magic Mountain, Sue Carpenter, did not return phone messages a Register reporter left Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Still, roller coaster enthusiasts and people unaffiliated with the theme parks say it’s reasonable to classify Superman: Escape from Krypton as a roller coaster.

Like to article.

I'm 75% sure it's happening, sadly. I was hearing this rumor in late May, early June. Deja Vu just seems like it would fit better at SFMM. Plus, as everyone has said, the mechanics know the ride in and out. I do hope there is a last minute change of plans.

If not, I would be excited to ride my first GIB at SFNE though. But I definitely agree with everyone, this possible move could be added to the book of "Six Flags - WTF moments."

Deja Vu was running pretty good when I was there last month but I can understand why they may consider removing it. The wait is always horrendous. No matter how things pan out I see the parks being tied for a few years. If CP moves forward with the "Family" aspect they have been they'll spend a few years adding smaller touches to the park and if SFMM is removing Vu then there's your tie at 17. Or if they keep Vu and CP builds another coaster, which they are due for, there it is at 18. The coaster wars may have hit a lull but they are still alive in my mind.

Well I mean SFNE already has Flashback which is a sitdown boomerang. Erm...why would you want 2 Vekoma Boomerangs in one park...the only thing difference is one is sitdown and the other is inverted. It just doesn't make sense. SFNE doesn't need another Vekoma, it needs a Beemer. :S

And what about the rumors about CP getting a coaster for 2013? It is actually quite overdue for a coaster.

Who's to say SFNE wouldnt REMOVE the Boomerang they have already? Why are you missing out on that logic? Also, I doubt any US parks will be adding any new significant coasters(other than the ones currently being constructed)anytime soon. I will bet you the current economic conditions are going to put most plans on hold for several years(especially if we head into another recession). Perhaps this is why SF seems to be re-instituting a ride rotation plan again? If that is what they are doing....of course, both chains could pick up some bargains if they go shopping at Hard Rock/Freestyle/WTF park!

I think they should just replace Flashback with Deja Vu and then move Flashback to another Six Flags park that doesn't already have a boomerang. Imagine it... Boomerangs for everyone!!! I can honestly say that pretty much no one would care if Flashback is removed. In fact, I think would make the park better if the ride was replaced.

I think they should just replace Flashback with Deja Vu and then move Flashback to another Six Flags park that doesn't already have a boomerang. Imagine it... Boomerangs for everyone!!! I can honestly say that pretty much no one would care if Flashback is removed. In fact, I think would make the park better if the ride was replaced.

Actually it's a really fun ride. Top 3 coasters there.

Actually it's a really fun ride. Top 3 coasters there.

Well of course Bizzaro and Batman take up spots #1 and #2, however 3rd place is a matter of opinion. I'd take Thunderbolt over Flashback any day. Flashback ranks just below Pandemonium in my book and that's being generous.

Hey Everyone, I'm new here and just came from PlanetSix where I still am but I wanted to try this as well. Actually, I have followd TPR for over 5 years when they started the threads with pictures and info on Tatsu's development back in 2006. I dont know why it has taken me this long to join but here I am!! Six Flags Magic Mountain is my home park and I absolutly love it. I have my problems with it...believe me but I still love going.

Right now I am disappointed because I am no longer going tomorrow as my group decided not to go as there were not enough of us to make a trip worth it.No matter, we will go in a matter of weeks. Anyway, this is my secondd season with season passes. My first was back in 2005 and for some reason I havnt gotten one since until this year.

My favorite coasters at the park are:

1. X2

2. Tatsu

3. Goliath

4. Riddler's Revenge

5. Deja Vu

6. Viper

7. Scream

8. Batman: The Ride

9. Apocalypse

10. Superman: Escape from Krypton

11. Green Lantern

12. Ninja

13. Revolution

14. Colossus

15. Gold Rusher

16. Road Runner Express

17. Canyon Blaster

Ive had a lot of great memories at Six Flags Magic Mountain. But my three big ones are:

1) First ride on X on a HOT July afternoon

2) First ride on Tatsu in may of 2006 when it opened

3) First date to SFMM, especially riding X2 which was only a week old

That trip on X2's opening week was interesting because it was either that trip or the following where I met Robb and Elissa. Im sure they dont remember me now but I was the guy up the stairs on the right side of the X2 station when it broke down and I was passing the time chatting with Robb and Elissa about their favorite coasters and parks...etc. Anyway that is enough about me but Im happy to be here and excited to meet all of you!

Welcome RocketJet, good to have you here.

I claim SFMM as my home park, even though I live in San Jose. Don't get me wrong I have many fond memories of [what is now] California's Great America, including my first coaster ride EVER on Top Gun [now known as Flight Deck], but it's just not worth going to anymore for me [aside from Haunt]

I can't wait till my next trip down, which will be the 23rd and 24th, hopefully it will be a dead tuesday/wednesday, because I am counting on not needing flash passes and being able to hit all the coasters and some flats with re-rides over both days [maybe even 2 rides each on x2 and GL??? one can hope...]

IM counting on that as well...in fact that wednesday may be the day that my group ends up going. We will see, my last visit in July was great! Ive seen some interesting pics lately that show that Tatsu is being painted!!Check out the painting thread on PlanetSix or the FB page for SFMM. I hope its true but that the track isnt done until november or so:)