TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Weekdays in late August are a great time to go. I went either last year or the year before (can't remember), and it was practically empty.

That is a very good time to go. All of my trips, including the one in a couple of weeks have been in August and I easily was able to go on all of the rides I wanted including some re-rides. The best time in August to go is when SoCal schools are back in session, it's even better the first week they go back.

So... anybody have any insight into what SFMM might have up their sleeves for next year? With all of the competition opening MAJOR attractions next year, I suppose the park could just decide to sit it out. But if they do build something, for the first time in a long time I have no clue what it could be. Big year for the waterpark?

^Let it be that, and Magic Mountain would be my #1 amusement park; hands down; no questions asked. (As long as it's an Intamin).

Edit: Would it be possible to have it built up the side of Superman?

^ I have always thought about that. I remember the Q&A session for WCB this year, A kid brought up the question whether or not a drop tower is in the cards and the 2 park managers looked at each other surprised, and slowly moved to the next question....

Edited by Gmaster562

While a drop ride on the side of Superman might look cool, the bottom part of the tower is not a complete straight line, and I would imagine that a standalone tower would be able to have a much higher capacity than a one sided stilt.

This has more to do with the incompetence of SF Ride Ops. But, I was at Ninja a week ago, and i was next to sit in the front. There was a person behind me who had two friends next for the row behind us. We all got in, and i went to put my jacket in the cubbies when one of the other kid's friends took my seat. I told the Operator, and he told me to sit in the second row. I don't know if this is relevant, but, i feel like it prooves a point somehow, and i feel good getting it out of my system.

While a drop ride on the side of Superman might look cool, the bottom part of the tower is not a complete straight line, and I would imagine that a standalone tower would be able to have a much higher capacity than a one sided stilt.

It's also made of I-beams, which would probably have trouble supporting a drop tower...

I think I drop tower would go great in that park! But if you ask my friend, he'll say that they already have one... but ill leave that for "the weirdest things the GP has said" thread.

I might actually be going back there in November, which is awesome because I can hopefully ride many of the rides that had to line of lines or were close the last time I went, and I could also ride my first Zac Spin and get a credit too!

Weekdays in late August are a great time to go. I went either last year or the year before (can't remember), and it was practically empty.

That is a very good time to go. All of my trips, including the one in a couple of weeks have been in August and I easily was able to go on all of the rides I wanted including some re-rides. The best time in August to go is when SoCal schools are back in session, it's even better the first week they go back.

I went on a weekday last August (it was pretty crowded) and missed the start of LA County schools by 2 days. If only I'd had know I would have gone 2 days later.

This has more to do with the incompetence of SF Ride Ops. But, I was at Ninja a week ago, and i was next to sit in the front. There was a person behind me who had two friends next for the row behind us. We all got in, and i went to put my jacket in the cubbies when one of the other kid's friends took my seat. I told the Operator, and he told me to sit in the second row. I don't know if this is relevant, but, i feel like it prooves a point somehow, and i feel good getting it out of my system.

The Ninja ridops are normally good - the "2 Charles." Maybe they were off that day. Normally a good experience there.

^^Besides, S&S towers do not really pack as much of a punch as Intaimin drop towers. In fact, I would much rather have a 150ft Intamin drop tower than a 300ft S&S tower.

I hope this drop tower is record breaking. 400 ft tall. It would be even better if they used the Blue Fall system on some sides!

I think SFMM needs an expansion, as in 'More land' if they want to build another coaster.

Are you serious? Have you been to Knotts? Do you read Theme Park Review?

It seems like it needs new land with the new coasters being crammed in (Tatsu, Terminator, Green Lantern) though it still has a lot of land such as a huge plot of land between the enterance of the park and X2/Viper.

^^Besides, S&S towers do not really pack as much of a punch as Intaimin drop towers. In fact, I would much rather have a 150ft Intamin drop tower than a 300ft S&S tower.

I hope this drop tower is record breaking. 400 ft tall. It would be even better if they used the Blue Fall system on some sides!

Eh, depends on the tower for me. The only 2 drops towers I've been on that are intamin made are Elitch's Tower of Doom and Kings Island's Drop Zone. The Tower of Doom is better than an S&S any day, but the Drop Zone kinda sucked in my opinion. Are any of the other Gyro Drops any good cause like I said I've only been on one. And when is Elitches gonna get some good stuff? I want a frickin B&M! And a Blue Fall at SFMM? Yes.

Wellll, since Intamin is around, I can see a 400+ ft drop ride topping something like the Giant Drop in Dreamworld, Australia:

But an updated one with much better load capacity, possibly taking the spot where Sling Shot is or that small enclosure area near Buccanneer.

I personally would like an Intamin Strata closed circuit coaster straddling the mountain or the Metro path, a far shot....but a possiblity in another 2-4 years! Go BIG!!