TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

On tuesday I was only there till 2 pm because I had to get to John Wayne Airport by 6 and L.A. traffic is too upredictable. The time I was there though it was not too bad. It Tatu's line picked up very quickly once it opened and Goliath's line was miserable because they only had one train. The crowd on tuesday wasn't nearly as bad as the crowd was last saturday when all of the lines were all at least 45 minute lines at 5 pm. Whether or not you get a Gold Pass is your call because I don't know the trends of the park well enough.

Hey guys,

At the park right now waiting for x2. Got in a little before 10 am and got our flash pass, gold is a godsend, and we've hit everything except GL and deja vu. Good news is apocalypse is running two trains again!!! The surprises of the day were tatsu and apocalypse. Another day in the park tomorrow to wander and ride GL and deja vu. Having an effin blast!!!!

Harper

Does anyone know if a new BBQ joint took over where the old BBQ joint was last year? It's a buliding right by Riddlers.

If so, do they have any good beef options?

According to the Six Flags website they have Santa Maria style Tri-Tip sandwiches. If Santa Maria style BBQ is done right it can be pretty good.

Does anyone know if a new BBQ joint took over where the old BBQ joint was last year? It's a buliding right by Riddlers.

According to the Six Flags website they have Santa Maria style Tri-Tip sandwiches. If Santa Maria style BBQ is done right it can be pretty good.

I was there the week it opened several months ago, and it's nothing like the last place . My meal was poor at best. It doesn't even smell as good as the last place as you pass by going to Riddler. Just me 2 cents.

I was there the week it opened several months ago, and it's nothing like the last place . My meal was poor at best. It doesn't even smell as good as the last place as you pass by going to Riddler. Just me 2 cents.

That's too bad. When I go to SFMM I always eat breakfast beforehand (like McD's, Starbucks, etc.) and I always eat dinner after I leave the park (like In-N-Out, Wendy's, etc) and I eat minimal food in the park (maybe one meal) and bring my own snacks (whatever they let me bring in) and drinks. This saves me a lot of $$ and even with having to rent a fluffy bunny every two hours on certain rides its still cheaper to bring a backpack with snacks and drinks.

I never ate at Longhorns (the old BBQ place) but I kind of agree with Ed. The smell isn't anywhere near as inviting.

I ate there a few months ago, had a chicken sandwich that was as thin and dry as sandpaper. My son had a BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich and the bite I had of it was decent.

Granted, this was only a few days after it opened, so hopefully they got better?

Usually the first few days should be the best because the food is at least fresh. The last place wasn't terrible but the guy grilling outside was preparing food for the next day. I remember watching them pull my stuff out of the fridge and re-heating the meat. The bun was legit though.

The brisket at WCB was better.

I don't know why it's so damn hard for the park to serve some good quality food to it's guests. Every time I eat at the park my fries are cold, or my food is dry, and it just makes me never want to eat at the park again. Why on earth would I spend $13+ bucks on a "combo" meal when I can go to In N Out for a nice sit down lunch, with a warm juicy burger in air conditioning?

I mean it's not rocket science: the park only makes burgers, chicken strips, pizza and bbq, and they still do it wrong. It's stuff we can all make at home for 1/2 the price, and I'm sure it'd be delicious. But at Magic Mountain, the wait in line to get the food is long, they charge way too much for it, and it's still terrible.

The only thing I've ever had that's consistently good is funnel cakes, but there's practically no way to screw those up.

^^^

I only buy funnell cakes there if there are a few people in line for them... If you just walk in on a slow day they keep 1-2 cakes on the side waiting to get cold. Whenever I leave the park I'll stroll by and take a look to see if there are any just sitting there. I got burned once and that was enough.

My wife and I ate at the BBQ place last week during out trip and we found it ok. We both had the pulled pork. Sandwich was ok. The BBQ flavored kettle chips were WAY better than the plain ones. (And by plain, they mean PLAIN, as in NO salt and flavor.) The baked beans that came with it wear boring at best and my wife said her cole slaw was rather boring as well.

I don't know why it's so damn hard for the park to serve some good quality food to it's guests. Every time I eat at the park my fries are cold, or my food is dry, and it just makes me never want to eat at the park again. Why on earth would I spend $13+ bucks on a "combo" meal when I can go to In N Out for a nice sit down lunch, with a warm juicy burger in air conditioning?

I mean it's not rocket science: the park only makes burgers, chicken strips, pizza and bbq, and they still do it wrong. It's stuff we can all make at home for 1/2 the price, and I'm sure it'd be delicious. But at Magic Mountain, the wait in line to get the food is long, they charge way too much for it, and it's still terrible.

The only thing I've ever had that's consistently good is funnel cakes, but there's practically no way to screw those up.

This is true. Even with VIP tickets covering one 'real" meal it still seems the better option would be go out to the car and grill something yourself on a little propane camping grill. I'm not sure if SFMM let's that fly, but I saw people do it at SFDK when me and my dad at lunch at our pickup for the 2010 season.

Usually the first few days should be the best because the food is at least fresh. The last place wasn't terrible but the guy grilling outside was preparing food for the next day. I remember watching them pull my stuff out of the fridge and re-heating the meat. The bun was legit though.

The brisket at WCB was better.

That brisket is pretty good. I'll do a special BBQ report when I visit in a few days

I agree SFMM needs better food. MUCH better food.

There is no excuse in this day and age not to have food options that are at least as good of an alternative as the food you can buy down the street. I know management reads these boards, and I wish to appeal to them to up the food quality across the boards.

Edited by John Knotts

^I see. Thanks. Haha

There is no excuse in this day and age not to have food options that are at least as good of an alternative as the food you can buy down the street.

Seriously. I'm not even saying I need some luxury OMG lah-tee-dah food, I'm just saying it'd be nice if they served warm, freshly made food that isn't terrible! I mean look at these prices, you're telling me they can't afford to give guests good food when they gouge them like this? One souvenir cup and one meal pays for 3+ hours of 1 employees salary!

I think jonny rockets has the best food in the park but its way over priced and half the time when you order fries there not even warm. SFMM needs to start serving better food instead of putting coasters in year after year

^^ You are kidding right?

So you are saying that we should expect crappy food because we are at an amusement park?

There are PLENTY of parks that pull this off. You of course have the Disney parks, namely EPCOT. You have Islands of Adventure as well.

Then you have Knoebels which has awesome "Amusement Park" food. There is no reason why you should expect to get food that tastes worse than the Wendy's down the street just because you are at a theme park. Period.

Oh I'm sure they could find a way to screw those up, don't worry.

I almost never eat in the park, it makes absolutely no sense to get totally ripped off and have nothing to show for it but terrible food. Why is it like this? If this was just a food place outside the park it would never last and soon go out of business so why does it have to be this way in the park? I'm surprised they make any money at all on their "food". For the prices they charge they could at least TRY to give you decent food. I had over priced pizza there once....OMG NEVER AGAIN! Let's just say the experience was unpleasant. The one bright spot would be the Mooseburger Lodge, it was ok but still too much.

Edited by Tmcdllr

Why are you guys starting to complain about food. If you want to complain about amusement park food, then go to a culinary forum somewhere in the depths of the internet. As for me? Can't even tell the difference.

This may not be the right site for you. We discuss lots of aspects of parks at Theme PARK Review. Not just coasters and rides.

I agree with Gregg, there are plenty of parks that offer good food choices, I'd love to see Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks do the same.

^^ You are kidding right?

So you are saying that we should expect crappy food because we are at an amusement park?

There are PLENTY of parks that pull this off. You of course have the Disney parks, namely EPCOT. You have Islands of Adventure as well.

Then you have Knoebels which has awesome "Amusement Park" food. There is no reason why you should expect to get food that tastes worse than the Wendy's down the street just because you are at a theme park. Period.

No i'm saying Jonny Rockets has the best crappy food in the park