TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Wow that sucks! I missed riding Tatsu right before it opened and hadn't had the chance to get back to the park since. And now that I finally get the chance to go back tomorrow, it's gonna be closed. Oh well that's life I guess. With Tatsu closed, what would be the best ride to hit first? Green Lantern or X2?

^ It's kind of a toss-up, really. Since the two rides are literally on opposite sides of the park! I'd say run to Green Lantern. It's actually lower capacity than X2, and while X2 is still VERY popular, it's also been at the park for 10 years.

And if you're going on a Monday, even though it's summer, crowds shouldn't be *too bad*, at least not as bad as a weekend.

Been a lurker on this sight for a long time, but finally have something to contribute!

So went to MM on Friday, June 8. Haven't been since before Tatsu opened (I am a SoCal resident), but prior to that I used to go at least once a year. To say the least, that was the one ride I most wanted on, and yeah, go figure it's busted. You all know the reasons now, and the attendants told me and my buddy that it'd probably be down till at least Monday. *sigh*

Got to the gates prior to opening. Headed for Superman and got the second ride of the day. No one was in line on the return, so got to go a second time. Ninja wasn't open yet, so headed over to Apocolypse. Walked right on, and again got to take it for a second spin afterwards. Deja Vu proved funny cause my friend is 6' 5", and he almost got the boot from the ride till he took his shoes off. And I thought only GL had the hight limit! After that we went to Riddler's, and then Batman.

At this point, we'd only been in the park for slightly over an hour. Not bad! Green Lantern had an hour wait, so we passed and headed over to Scream and Colossus. I'm 39, my friend 35, and both of us experienced a little problem of our vision whiting out briefly on both Batman and (for him) Scream. Stupid getting older. By then it was just past noon, so time for food, maybe would help our heads.

$11 for chicken fingers??? Glad I only drink water these days, cause no way was I buying a $4 Coke! Sheeesh.

Next stop, Goliath, and the first ride we actually had a line for. Probably a 30 min wait including the time it took for them to get the train unstuck from the lift hill! Walked to Revolution, and man you guys aren't kidding about those stupid restraints. I think they got 'em off of Psychlone, cause they hurt as much as those did. Then it was Viper, another walk on, and after that X2. By now it was 4, and the line took us 40 minutes to get through.

Lap 2 took us to Ninja, where the Flash Pass royally pissed us off. We were waiting for the front seat, and got bumped 3 times in a row, not to mention the people that rode it twice. Yelled at the attendant, who apologized and said there had been some miscommunication. Yeah, okay. It was a very hot and humid day, so Jet Stream was in order. For the hell of it, went on Gold Rusher and passed along some fun to a 10-12 year old. Me and my friend were trying to grab branches (I always try to grab grass on Revolution), which the kid found highly amusing. Then I did the high five to the invisible attendant on the second lift hill. By the end of the ride, I knew that the kid would be doing this from now on just as I was taught oh so many years ago!

Still hot, went on Tidal Wave. Boy has that ride lost something. Used to be a guaranteed drenching. Instead my arm got wet (I was on the edge) and my buddy came away perfectly dry. Could tell the water level of the ride was down a good foot. Lame. Checked on Green Lantern's line again. Same as before. By now it was 6:30 or so, and we were pretty much good for one last ride. Got in line, but after 10 minutes, it hadn't moved. Also, all day long they were completely stopping the car at the midway break for a good 30 seconds to 1 minute. Seemed to be a complete momentum killer, as I only saw people getting 1 (if any) inversions. Finally said screw it, and hit up X2 one more time, with only a 15 minute wait this time.

By 7:30 we were out of there and eating at Carl's Jr., feeling like we had a very complete day. 8 of the rides we rode were complete walk-ons, and the crowds along the paths were very minimal. Apocolypse was my favorite new ride I got to go on. Really felt like it was relentless, especially for a woody. X2 was a blast, but how is it different from when it was just X? Oh wait, I think I saw a flame once. Goliath now takes over Viper as my fave of the park. So smooth, so fast, and it completely whited out my friends vision during that final g-force circle.

Love, love, love Magic Mountain, and not just for the rides. I like the park layout and was impressed with how it's looking these days. Had been to Disneyland just 2 months prior, and I'd take poorly themed rides any day over the crush of people in that place. My 5 year old loves the fast rides, so I'll be looking forward to the day he's 54" and can ride most everything in the park!

Thanks for the reply Robb. Yea I was thinking of going straight to Green Lantern since I've ridden the original X. Figure I'd ride the back half of the park and superman then get back to X2. It's been over 5 years since I've been to the park so I'm looking forward to everything new they have to offer.

^Thanks! Much appreciated

Hey just got back from my trip over the weekend. Everything was great with the exception of Tatsu being down . Lines weren't bad for a saturday. I finished everything and still had plenty of time for re rides at night. In Terms of X2 I rode on the ramp line side (left side if your looking at the rides lift hill) in the very back row on the outside seat and it was great. It was a little "bouncy" after the flame cannons but other then that it was awesome the new headrests are comfy and help alot . Audio was still down but the cannons were working. Also Green Lantern was alot more fun then i expected!.

Sorry to re-post the same questions about the Discover Card entrance line, but I was hoping I could get some answers to satiate my curiosity (and to relay to my nephew):

1. Would a Discover gift card work?

2. Do the SFMM employees check card name vs. ID?

Thanks!

So, I just got back from the park, and it was definitely an interesting day.

1) Goliath had some potentially big breakdown today (while I was unfortunate enough to be in line). And at the end of the day, no one seemed to know if it would open tomorrow, next week, or next month.

2) Green Lantern was WAY cooler than I thought it was going to be, but only if you get an unbalanced car. However, it was also super short and very Zipper-like. I rode it first thing so I wouldn't have to wait, but the ride's capacity is way too low for Magic Mountain. I heard many complaints and general unhappiness about this around the DC Universe area.

3) One of X2's trains has audio now. The other still doesn't.

So, I just got back from the park, and it was definitely an interesting day.

1) Goliath had some potentially big breakdown today (while I was unfortunate enough to be in line). And at the end of the day, no one seemed to know if it would open tomorrow, next week, or next month.

2) Green Lantern was WAY cooler than I thought it was going to be, but only if you get an unbalanced car. However, it was also super short and very Zipper-like. I rode it first thing so I wouldn't have to wait, but the ride's capacity is way too low for Magic Mountain. I heard many complaints and general unhappiness about this around the DC Universe area.

Yeah, I rode it early too and had an unbalanced train so it was intense . But I agree on the capacity being too low for SFMM.

I just took a giant sigh of relief right there. Looking to go to the park today (Monday) and ride Green lantern again but two rides (Tatsu and Goliath) in 1 week down?

-Cookie

It is the nature of all things mechanical to breakdown at the most inopportune time, or when you least expect it.

Stuff happens, it sucks, but nothing anybody can do about it.

Although I'm curious to know what happened to Goliath if it is down, it would be a horrible coincidence if the lift motor went out on this ride too.

Sorry to re-post the same questions about the Discover Card entrance line, but I was hoping I could get some answers to satiate my curiosity (and to relay to my nephew):

Thanks!

To be honest, reading your question #2 it sounds like you are asking because you're planning to absue the system. Why else would you ask that question. I have a feeling that's why no one has responded to you yet. As for question #1. Call Guest Relations and ask them. That's what they are there for.

But when I read your question it reads like "I have a Discover gift card in my name that I want to give to my nephew to use to get in early." Well, that's just not how the system is supposed to work. The rules are made quite clear on the Six Flags website:

Show your Discover card at Six Flags and you can enter through the Discover Cardmember Entrance during the first two hours of each day to get to the fun even faster.
Edited by robbalvey

Thanks!

To be honest, reading your question #2 it sounds like you are asking because you're planning to absue the system. Why else would you ask that question. I have a feeling that's why no one has responded to you yet. As for question #1. Call Guest Relations and ask them. That's what they are there for.

Maybe it's a family members card and this person doesn't have a Discover card but maybe a blood relative does? Though I do agree just call up guest relations/services, it's the best way to figure out info about the park is to speak directly to the park itself.

(I just laughed imagining someone walking up to the IoA lighthouse tower to speak to it for information... =P)

In one of my visits in 2004, Goliath stopped at the very top of the list hill for about 5 minutes. A girl from the ride dispatch team walked up the stairs to tell us everything was alright and the ride would start again again in a minute. Of course when we got to the station they let everyone on board stay on and ride again

In one of my visits in 2004, Goliath stopped at the very top of the list hill for about 5 minutes. A girl from the ride dispatch team walked up the stairs to tell us everything was alright and the ride would start again again in a minute. Of course when we got to the station they let everyone on board stay on and ride again

I had the same thing happen to me when I rode it around the time it opened. I sure hope it's fixed along with Tatsu by this weekend. I may have my Goliath credit already but it was so long ago I forgot the experience. Any update on Tatsu btw?

Maybe it's a family members card and this person doesn't have a Discover card but maybe a blood relative does?

From my experience using the service, you ARE allowed to bring in your family members/immediate group with you, BUT...the cardholder had to be there. Which I think is totally fair.

Didn't Goliath have an issue with the lift motor a couple of years ago as well?

Goliath has been cursed with lift issues since it opened.

As reported on here (somewhere in the 1900+ pages of this thread), a few years ago the lift chain sprocket at the top of the lift completely broke into pieces, causing it to be down for awhile. I went to the park that year and remember being bummed because I could not ride it.

I'm at the park right now, and crowds are light. Tatsu will be down at least all day according to the guys at the entrance. And yes x2 has at least one train with working audio and I heard the audio throughout the entire ride. And Goliath has been running all day so I'm not sure what was going on with that ride.