TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

tl;dr: Green Lantern was legit, and the lines were (imho) not very long for a "4th of July" weekend.

Sounds like you had a good day! Were the effects/audio on X2 working?

X2 did not have the on-ride audio going on, at least not when I got on (around park closing) but the flames were being used. And they did upgrade the headrests...they're much more comfy/squishy now. I remember they used to be really hard.

I'm actually glad the audio wasn't on, and that the speakers were removed from Apocalypse. I used to bring ear plugs just for "Terminator" and X2 because of those blasting speakers.

I'm actually glad the audio wasn't on, and that the speakers were removed from Apocalypse. I used to bring ear plugs just for "Terminator" and X2 because of those blasting speakers.

Harry Connick Jr. out of the station, and Metallica on the lift hill = icing on the cake for one of my favorite rides.

I'm actually quite upset that a lot of park goers are reporting no audio on X2 - I do hope it gets fixed (at least on one train), or I'm assuming there will be a barrage of questions at WCB 2012.

I understand the audio breaking on a wooden coaster - it was evidenced by only a year or so (actually less - from opening day in May, to WCB in March) of functionality; but x2, on the other hand, it's had audio, sporadically, for almost four years now.

Come on SFMM.. don't let it go to the special effects graveyard.. it's already full with Termi's audio, fog machines, a lot of light fixtures from Riddler's queue (and the on-board photography from Riddler), plus countless other items.

List of rides with original special effects, lost:

Apocalypse- audio

X2- audio

X2- Smoke

X2- Occasionally the fire

S:EFK- Misted Tunnels

Goliath- Misted tunnel on the bottom of the drop

Riddler's- Strobe lights

I can't think of more.

Although Batman should really have fog and lights every night from now on, it would go great with the new DC Universe theme!

^^Those new X2 cushions are a godsend!

Harry Connick Jr. out of the station, and Metallica on the lift hill = icing on the cake for one of my favorite rides.

I'm actually quite upset that a lot of park goers are reporting no audio on X2 - I do hope it gets fixed (at least on one train), or I'm assuming there will be a barrage of questions at WCB 2012.

I understand the audio breaking on a wooden coaster - it was evidenced by only a year or so (actually less - from opening day in May, to WCB in March) of functionality; but x2, on the other hand, it's had audio, sporadically, for almost four years now.

Come on SFMM.. don't let it go to the special effects graveyard.. it's already full with Termi's audio, fog machines, a lot of light fixtures from Riddler's queue (and the on-board photography from Riddler), plus countless other items.

I cant agree more. X2 is a great coaster by itself, but I love being in line and hearing Enter Sandman as the trains would go up the lift. Besides the first drop, the audio was my favorite part of the ride. I really hope they fix it. Do you still hear the "X2" whisper in the station?

Although Batman should really have fog and lights every night from now on, it would go great with the new DC Universe theme!

SEFK cant have water on the tracks because of the wheel...but they should of put Fog not mist.

Apocalypse- audio

X2- audio

X2- Smoke

Riddler's- Strobe lights

I can't think of more.

Batman originally had mist through all of the trenches.

Apocalypse- audio

X2- audio

X2- Smoke

Riddler's- Strobe lights

I can't think of more.

May have been quicker to list the effects that actually work.

Just because we're on this subject, this is what should return:

-X2: Audio.

-X2: Fire (if it isn't already working, but its been off the last few times I've been).

-Goliath: Misted tunnel on the bottom of the drop.

-Riddler's: Question mark lights and lit up cabinets with all the Riddler's "experiment" crap inside.

-Batman: Everything that used to be in the station.

-Batman: Fog/mist in the trenches.

-Apocalypse: Tunnel mist.

-Deja Vu: Station music.

^What was Deja Vu's station music? I've never heard anything in the station aside from the operators spiels.

I'm actually trying to find out what the songs were right now, because I'm fairly sure it used to have station music.

I think the mist/fog was brought up at WCB - it's really temperamental with ambient temperatures. Depending on the weather, it will either stay where it's supposed to and look really cool, or, for instance, be carried away by winds.

At my old job there were misters for guest comfort - the machines (yeah, it's not just a hose with a mist nozzle) were incredibly expensive to buy, plus, they required a lot of maintenance. Because of the crappy water in CA, the nozzles were always being removed for cleaning, the filters got clogged, and, if the system wasn't operating correctly, they would just drip water everywhere.

^ Presumably maintenance (money). I can't think of any other reason they wouldn't be on.

Something tells me that in the case of Batman, the hoses, water source, etc may not even be there anymore. I can't even remember the last time it was on. Then again, I could be wrong.

All the mist, music, lights and effects that have ever initially been installed on some of the rides at the park that you no longer see are gone because the park doesn't want to pay or take time to fix them when they have problems and need to be repaired, and because management knows the majority of GP won't even notice they're gone so they don't even bother wasting their time.

There aren't enough employees or mechanics at the park that are being paid to care about those little things, the ride operators aren't getting paid enough to care about the appearance of their attractions (you've all seen it), and there's only so much the limited amount of employees at Magic Mountain can do every day so they go unnoticed and forgotten as years go on.

There is no "roller coaster theming" department that inspects the various attractions and checks for the mist, music, lights and effects to work every day, so things get old and rundown, they stop working and they eventually get removed instead of repaired. It's as simple as that.

^That's pretty much the basis of this. Personally, I'm just disappointed that SFMM won't put in the money after they've put in so much these last few years to make the park more presentable.

^That's pretty much the basis of this. Personally, I'm just disappointed that SFMM won't put in the money after they've put in so much these last few years to make the park more presentable.

True, but they have somehow managed to make X and Superman (soon to be Colossus) awesome again. To me this more than balances out the dwindling mist and music effects.

I guess WCB must be a "cursed" event. We got new audio on Terminator, which was gone shortly after. Next, new audio was heard on X2, which is now gone. I am almost glad S:EFK and GL did not get audio, because it seems the park builds us up only to tear us down. Of all SF's budget cuts, I will say the removal of X2's audio is the most disappointing to me. I always knew the last WCB would be the last (and first) time I would ever hear the "Ripped Up Rockets" audio, but I never knew it would be the last time I would hear the original audio as well. (I came a few weeks after, and the audio was gone)