TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'll go ahead and change the subject..

Is it worth going to SFMM at all on a summer weekday? I'd like to go this week sometime (Wednesday/Thursday) and didn't know if I'd be 'ahead of the game' by avoiding a weekend visit.

Any advice?

^It's gonna be incredibly crowded any day you visit this month, probably. I went on Wednesday, so that was before the Green Lantern rush, and the crowds were still terrible. So you'd probably lose some crowds since less people are able to make it on a weekday, but it'll still be bad.

^ Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I've been on a summer weekday, but I cannot remember how it went.

I'll probably hold it out until September/October - I like the Fright Fest stuff, plus the weather is a lot better.

I've been to Six Flags Magic Mountain a number of times during the summer, and I will only visit on a weekday. In my experience, I've always gotten there before opening, had a plan, and stayed all day. Usually, lines for the most popular coasters (X2, Tatsu, Goliath, Apocalypse, Deja Vu, and Riddler's Revenge) were around an hour to an hour and a half for most of the day (X2 was longer in the morning, Tatsu was longer at night). I'm assuming Superman will probably be about two hours, and Green Lantern will be 3-4, but since I haven't been since they opened I can't say for sure. Most of the other coasters, with the exception of Colossus, Revolution, and Gold Rusher, were between 15 minutes and a half-hour (those three were almost no wait). The water rides all had really long lines, as the temperature is often around 100, but the other rides didn't really have a wait. I've always managed to get all of the coasters done, but haven't had time for any re-rides.

Previously, I would have advised starting at Tatsu, then going Apocalypse, Deja Vu, and working clockwise from there (skipping Gold Rusher and Ninja for later). Using this, I've always managed to get to X2 at the low point during the day (mid/late afternoon). However, I am not sure what the best plan would be now. I'll be going in Mid-July (probably either the 12th or 13th), and other than doing Green Lantern first I haven't really got a plan yet.

^I do the same, but Green Lantern throws this plan off. This is what I'm going to do, staying all day 10:30 - 9:00

1) Green Lantern 2) Riddler's Revenge 3) Superman 4) Ninja. 5) Apocalypse 6) Deja Vu 7) Tatsu 8) Goliath 9) Scream 10) Batman 11) X2

**I usually skip Colossus, Gold Rusher, Viper, and Revolution because I don't care for those rides, but since there are no lines for them throughout the day you can just fit them in whenever. I think the two I'll have to wait in a larger line for are Tatsu and X2, possibly Goliath at around 30-60 minutes each. I plan on getting to GL early, so I will hopefully wait 30 minutes or less. I think I will make it to Superman, Riddler's, Ninja, Apocalypse, and Deja Vu before the crowds clog up those lines excessively. Scream and Batman I'm hoping will have no waits. I will usually go around for rerides, particularly in the Riddler's single rider, Scream, and Batman.

Just got back from the park and finally had the chance to ride Green Lantern

I've had a case of bad luck where I showed up friday with it already broken, but opted to wait in line anyway, 2 hours later and endless amounts of people bailing to the point where I was near the front, officials told us it'd be at LEAST 3-5 hours until they could fix it. They handed out exit passes though good for any ride in the park so I opted for that and went and rode the revamped Superman which I had yet to ride and found to be quite a bit of fun.

So with nothing to do this 4th of July weekend, I showed up today around 6pm got in line with it working. waited 1.5 hours and it broke. Waited another 1.5 hours and I was now at the entrance to the building where they weren't letting anyone enter. So now after 3 hours of waiting (now 9pm) and chatting with various people there were only 8 of us in line. The park told us "loyal and determined guests" that would give us exit passes good for any ride, but also took down our names so that in case it did open, we could show up at the exit and walk right up to the ride. Well I went and rode X2, came back and its now 9:50pm and the parks closing in 10 mins, BUT GL was doing test runs and sure enough 2 mins before closing they said it would open and allowed all the of the "loyal" waiters who returned to be the first to ride. One official sympathized with me for my bad luck for getting on this thing, but I told her it was all good and I didn't mind. I'm not really one to get miffed in situations like these because it's out of my control. I think the park handled the situations very well so I was quite happy even though I waited a total of 6 hours over both visits to get in 1 ride.

Overall the ride was fantastic and extremely..... weird. haha. It was over before I even knew what happened and I didn't even know WHAT was happening during it. It wasn't ridiculous spinning, but the forces were so odd that I couldn't help but laugh the whole ride for just its shear insanity. I did flip twice during the bottom half of the ride which was fun.

Hey guys, I went up yesterday to SFMM. Here's what went down:

Ok, first of all, it probably wasn't one of my smartest ideas to go on 4th of July weekend, but nonetheless I did. It was not only pretty crowded in the park, but it was at least 100 degrees (probably more). To be honest, I didn't ride Green Lantern either. It looks awesome where it is and really adds to that part of the park, but the ride just isn't that great from what I was seeing yesterday. I only saw a handful of people get a halfway-decent ride all day and the line was definitely a couple of hours long (hence my decision not to ride). If you ask me, it didn't look like something I would wait more than 30-45 mins for (especially since I was with my non-enthusiast friends). Other than that, it was a pretty good day. The new DC Universe area is great! The colorful buildings and signs are WAY better than the old, dingy Gotham City theme. I think this was a major success for MM. Also, despite the crowds, a lot of lines were fairly short for all the rides in the back of the park, so that was a plus.

Oh, and one more thing...who decided to change "have a six flags day" to "have an epic day"? I miss the old slogan

EDIT: ^ I didn't see your post before I wrote this...I'm glad you had a good ride. Maybe I just happened to watch all the crappy ones haha

photo-4.thumb.JPG.b33de97c7ca2d56382e6c54f55966704.JPG

A view of GL and DC Universe

EDIT: ^ I didn't see your post before I wrote this...I'm glad you had a good ride. Maybe I just happened to watch all the crappy ones haha

That's the thing, event without a ton of spinning its a very forceful and fun ride.

I am headed to the park July 9. My plan is to arrive between 8:30 and 9:00 (the park opens at 10:00). There, i will get my season pass reprocessed for $25 (lost it), and be in line early. The second the gates open, I will bolt to GL, and hope to get in a quick ride on it. Then, I will head back to the entrance to get myself a Gold Flashpass with the X2 extention. This way, I will be able to enjoy my day, with one hopeful ride on GL.

Also, I bought my lost pass at SFDK. Will I still be able to renew it for the $25 at SFMM without buying a new one?

Ok, I am going to try and divert away the topic that has been discussed entirely too much here lately, and now that GL has opened up(along with DC Universe), I think discussion should be focused(here and within SFMM management) on where the next area of the park is to be redeveloped/fixed up. I am sure the park is already planning things, but I think the buildings in the back of the park need to be next on the list. That whole Cyclone Bay area needs to be changed. Seriously, now that Psychlone is gone, what back there(with the exception of the buildings) depicts a "Cyclone Bay". The buildings ALL need to be razed or majorly renovated, they just look horrible. And please, finally, tear down the station to The Dragon. Everything up by Katies Korner is fine, though I think they should tear out the arcade buildings there and put in a flat ride. Of course, everything on top of the mtn at Samurai Summit needs to be removed(bldg wise). But I also really think that everything in Baja Ridge needs help as well. I think this area is just missing something(probably a flat or two). And there is room back there for more development(but no more coasters, unless they want to rip out X2 and Viper and put in an Intamin woodie like T Express. Anyway, thats my contribution and atteMPt on swaying the conversation of this thread. Next!

Ok, I am going to try and divert away the topic that has been discussed entirely too much here lately

Good luck with that! Sheesh, the rides been open less than a week, of course people are going to want to discuss it!

I waited a total of 6 hours over both visits to get in 1 ride.

Glad to hear you got on it, but OUCH! Way to go Six Flags! "Have an Epic Day!"

GL is fun for what it is, but like others I can't imagine waiting more than 30 minutes tops. I can't imagine how ripped off I'd feel if I waited 3+ hours for it! Sounds like they have some capacity fine tuning to improve.

^ Yeah, I'm enjoying the reviews.

So far, most people seem pleasantly surprised after passing it off as a glorified flat ride. While it seems that SFMM's version doesn't spin as much as its European counterpart, it sounds like there are other effects that make up for any shortcomings.

I'm looking forward to taking a spin on it.. but much like the new Star Tours and Little Mermaid at Disneyland, I can easily wait until the initial hype wears off.

To be honest, I didn't ride Green Lantern either. It looks awesome where it is and really adds to that part of the park, but the ride just isn't that great from what I was seeing yesterday. I only saw a handful of people get a halfway-decent ride all day and the line was definitely a couple of hours long (hence my decision not to ride). If you ask me, it didn't look like something I would wait more than 30-45 mins for (especially since I was with my non-enthusiast friends).

I really wish people would refrain from saying the ride isn't good if you haven't ridden it yet.

I haven't ridden Insane, but from looking at the videos of it prior to riding GL, I honestly didn't think it looked that great, but I trusted what everybody was saying about it.

And even though GL doesn't spin as much as insane, I thought it was great personally.

^^ I understand that I have no right to judge it before riding it. My point was more that I wasn't amazed to the point of waiting (and making my friends wait) over 2 hours for it. I guess it's just the way it came out when I was typing it, but I still think it'll be a great ride and I do look forward to getting on it when the crowds are less.

I'm looking forward to taking a spin on it.. but much like the new Star Tours and Little Mermaid at Disneyland, I can easily wait until the initial hype wears off.

Heck I waited three years before I rode the Finding Nemo ride! Although passing by the Little Mermaid ride at CA Adventures and seeing the wait was only twenty minutes, I couldn't pass it up. As for Green Lantern, off season here I come! I'll probably break down around the end of July and force myself to ride it...

I'll be going Thursday-Saturday and brave the Green Lantern line. I was wondering though, what rides are still with one train ops? I'm hoping Apoc has gotten its other train back, that is a line that would be unberable with a one train op.

^^ If I were you, I would just sprint to Green Lantern when the gates open. Sure you might sweat a little and get a little tired, but heck it's much better than waiting in line for 3 hours, right? Shoot, that's what I'm going to do this coming Sunday. No looking back. >:D

After being busy most of the year I was finally able to go on July 2nd and bought my season pass, as I've done for the last two years. I was kind of disappointed at the $10 increase to the season pass price, but I know I will be visiting the park at least 3 more times this year so it's all good.

Fourth of July weekend, Saturday. It wasn't as packed as I thought it would be, I remember going last year on a weekend and it was more packed. Lines were surprisingly moving efficiently. We started off on Revolution, and Viper, both were about 30 minute waits. Tatsu was about an hour, but they were only running one side of the station and two trains so it made sense. We proceeded to Deja Vu, another 30 minutes followed by Apocalypse, which was around 50 minutes. Then Superman was next, they were only running one side of the track, the track closest to Goliath; then after 30 minutes in line they opened the other side and me and my friends were on the 3rd ride of the opening of that side. Probably a total of 40 minutes was spent waiting for Superman. I had not ridden it since it reopened as "Escape From Krypton", but it was good. I originally found the regular Superman ride boring.

After that we made our way to Green Lantern, skipping Riddler's Revenge, which is another "so-so" ride for me personally. The line was surprisingly good...it only took us an hour to get on, it didn't break down during the time we were in line. In fact, I watched various of the trains when we were still in the outside line, and I saw from really tame partial spin rides to 3-4 flip rides. I knew about the whole weight distribution thing so I was hoping to ride with my thin friends (I'm a porky fellow) to get a flip or two in, but since we were three (other two friends went on the opposite side) they added an older single rider who was also of gratuitous weight and we ended up being balanced, so we only got partial flips. However, as I've been lurking on this thread the past week, the G-forces were indeed intense. I sat in the inner seat so I could put my arms up, I like to put my arms up on almost all rides. At one point during the ride, I think after the middle section where it slows down for a few seconds, on the following drop my whole body was launched out of the seat, but the restraints kept me safe in my seat... I was pleasantly surprised at how powerful it is. Then again, I did have my arms up the whole time so I kind of asked for it. Bottom line, I think GL:FF is pretty great.

After that, we skipped Batman and went to Colossus, and Scream. Both were 30 minute waits at the most, from my experience, Scream really suffers from its location, usually I never see a line form behind the entrance area right before the lockers. Goliath was next, that was a 50 minute wait. It was 9:20 or so by the time we finished up Goliath, so we went to X2, that was about an hour wait. When you're with good company, the lines don't seem to take so long.

tl;dr: Green Lantern was legit, and the lines were (imho) not very long for a "4th of July" weekend.

After being busy most of the year I was finally able to go on July 2nd and bought my season pass, as I've done for the last two years. I was kind of disappointed at the $10 increase to the season pass price, but I know I will be visiting the park at least 3 more times this year so it's all good.

Fourth of July weekend, Saturday. It wasn't as packed as I thought it would be, I remember going last year on a weekend and it was more packed. Lines were surprisingly moving efficiently. We started off on Revolution, and Viper, both were about 30 minute waits. Tatsu was about an hour, but they were only running one side of the station and two trains so it made sense. We proceeded to Deja Vu, another 30 minutes followed by Apocalypse, which was around 50 minutes. Then Superman was next, they were only running one side of the track, the track closest to Goliath; then after 30 minutes in line they opened the other side and me and my friends were on the 3rd ride of the opening of that side. Probably a total of 40 minutes was spent waiting for Superman. I had not ridden it since it reopened as "Escape From Krypton", but it was good. I originally found the regular Superman ride boring.

After that we made our way to Green Lantern, skipping Riddler's Revenge, which is another "so-so" ride for me personally. The line was surprisingly good...it only took us an hour to get on, it didn't break down during the time we were in line. In fact, I watched various of the trains when we were still in the outside line, and I saw from really tame partial spin rides to 3-4 flip rides. I knew about the whole weight distribution thing so I was hoping to ride with my thin friends (I'm a porky fellow) to get a flip or two in, but since we were three (other two friends went on the opposite side) they added an older single rider who was also of gratuitous weight and we ended up being balanced, so we only got partial flips. However, as I've been lurking on this thread the past week, the G-forces were indeed intense. I sat in the inner seat so I could put my arms up, I like to put my arms up on almost all rides. At one point during the ride, I think after the middle section where it slows down for a few seconds, on the following drop my whole body was launched out of the seat, but the restraints kept me safe in my seat... I was pleasantly surprised at how powerful it is. Then again, I did have my arms up the whole time so I kind of asked for it. Bottom line, I think GL:FF is pretty great.

After that, we skipped Batman and went to Colossus, and Scream. Both were 30 minute waits at the most, from my experience, Scream really suffers from its location, usually I never see a line form behind the entrance area right before the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. Goliath was next, that was a 50 minute wait. It was 9:20 or so by the time we finished up Goliath, so we went to X2, that was about an hour wait. When you're with good company, the lines don't seem to take so long.

tl;dr: Green Lantern was legit, and the lines were (imho) not very long for a "4th of July" weekend.

Sounds like you had a good day! Were the effects/audio on X2 working?