TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^and^ Also, if they just shut down the ride, they can rehab both trains at once, allowing for a shorter session. Tatsu, a three train ride, had a shorter session due to being able to rehab two trains at once. However, this is not to say why they shouldn't just either close the ride or add a quicker-access ticket system. Since Apoc is next to Deja, why not just rope off the whole area for a while? (Although Deja is up and running now)

Yes, but once again timing is key. If you're going to shut down a ride like Apoc for rehab, do it in January, not May or June.

The same thing applies with one train. Do it during winter, not May.

At least with one train there is an option to wait for it. If the ride is closed all together, you take away any option whatsoever.

Well I've still have not used my 4 VIP ticket package to SFMM yet. But the plans are now within the works.

the original plan was for

1.Me

2. My Dad (55)

3. My friend

4.?????

But now that my older brother lives in the bay area here in California.

1. Me

2. My older brother

3. My friend

4 A other friend or my dad. If neither of those my brother or friend can bring someone else. (Brother gets first shot at that.)

Anyways the date I want is the first or second Saturday in august. Both days the park is open 10 am- 10 pm.

^Sure but what about budget and staffing? You have to have bodies there to do the work and if they are busy doing other, more important things or there isn't enough of them, it may not be possible to do both at once. Then there is the issue of parts. Rehabs require parts and since this is the first real rehab for these trains it could be that they required many parts that could not be ordered all at once or they were only able to order enough parts to do one train at a time. Then there is the budget and seeing as how they just improved one major ride, installed another one, and installed a completely new ride with the additional treatments to the backlot area, which could have taken a huge chunk out of the maintenance budget (money has to come from somewhere for all this), they may not have been able to do both at once simply because the funds were being put to these other things.

And it could also be that the reason they are doing one at a time now is that the maintenance schedule for the off season would not have permitted time to do both because of many other things going on. Since none of us really knows the inner workings of the park to this extent, it is impossible to say why this is the way it is without really knowing all of the details.

^ Yes like lack of planning. In all seriousness though there's something to be said for purchasing extra trains so capacity is not affected while vehicles are undergoing annual maintenance. Busch has 4 trains for Montu, and Kumba so there's always 1 train being worked on yet the ride can still run at full capacity. California Screamin' has 7 trains so technically 2 trains can be in rehab at a time and the ride can still run 5 trains.

Granted I don't work for Six Flags so can't say for sure what the delay was but based on previous years just looks like the usual poor planning and lack of maintenance budget.

^Actually, there is a sesstion where even Disney does have to run fewer trains; on my last visit, CS was running three trains, while BTMR was running two, about half the amount they usually run.

Also, is one-train rehab on Tatsu really necessary? Would you rather have a ride that can run two trains all year, or a ride that has to take three weeks out of the year to run two trains for possible future three-train operation?

For reasons of being able to rehab one train at a time, you rarely ever see 3+train rides go down for rehab, yet Tatsu did. At least on that they imposed a ticket return system. When Pocky was running one train with a full queue, the ride op told me the wait was 75 minutes, while the actual wait was 120 minutes. He might have been right, if it had not been for every preshow being halfway filled up with Flashpass users. Why don't they just add a ticket system like Tatsu? It makes no sense.

^Actually, there is a sesstion where even Disney does have to run fewer trains; on my last visit, CS was running three trains, while BTMR was running two, about half the amount they usually run.

You're really comparing 1 day at Disney to a train rehab that took 4 1/2 months on a coaster???

Now granted it is better to have the ride open with 1 train than not open at all HOWEVER the planning should be as such that 1 train operation doesn't happen at all.

^^I only visit Disney once in every 2-3 years, while I go to SFMM much more often. In fact, my last visit to Disney actually did feel kind of like a fluke day. Many rides broke down for long periods of time. Actually, I visited in a span of two days. The first day was a Friday, and BTMR and Space Mountain did not open with the park. (A 1 hour delay for Space Mountain, and 90 minutes for BTMR) However, that day all rides were running their maximum number of trains. I wish I could say the same about the next day. CS opened THREE HOURS late, and only three trains were running on a Saturday, even though the queue was overflowing all the way back to the single rider entrance, only to switch back on iteslf a couple times. This is quite odd, since not even a third of the people were waiting the previous day, and all five trains were running.

During that two day span, I also encountered many other breakdowns and almost Six Flags quality staff, in terms of knowing what was going on, (with one major exception, though)

It is a safe bet to say that this was just one fluke day, and not all Disney visits are like this.

Sorry for the long and somewhat off-topic post. For something that is on topic, does anyone know if X2 will be getting a rehab session next season? That would suck.

^I hear what you're saying and unfortunately these scenarios can and do happen to any park. The rides not opening with the park lies on the park I agree. One thing to keep in mind is that when Space, BTM, Matterhorn or Screamin'' go down throughout the day, 75% of the time it's caused by a slow moving guest.

One thing to keep in mind is that when Space, BTM, Matterhorn or Screamin'' go down throughout the day, 75% of the time it's caused by a slow moving guest.

Really? Guests moving slow shuts down rides? Why do I not believe that...

Seriously though, the ride operators at SF parks are probably the worst of any chain in the business. I understand guests not paying attention sometimes slows down dispatch times, but more often then not it is the terrible ride operators finding new ways to move as slow as humanly possible. And IMO, it is the ride operators job to get the guests ready for the ride, and to get them moving along quickly to have as many guests go through the turnstiles as possible.

As for the number of trains on the rides, I just think with a park as big as Magic Mountain, and with as many coasters as they have, there's no reason for 1 train operation on any coaster that is made to have 2. I understand there are special circumstances where things go wrong, but it's been MONTHS now for Terminator. The park should have 3 trains, 2 on the track at all times, and one rehabbing.

The capacity of some of the other coasters around the park are bad enough as it is (Deja Vu, Tatsu, Superman), and this just compounds the foul. I sat in the sun-ridden line for 10-15 minutes last week, and the line did not move once -not ONCE- so we didn't even bother riding.

One thing to keep in mind is that when Space, BTM, Matterhorn or Screamin'' go down throughout the day, 75% of the time it's caused by a slow moving guest.

Really? Guests moving slow shuts down rides? Why do I not believe that...

You've obviously never seen Space Mtn. shut down while in the station.

In a nutshell: Space, BTM, Matterhorn, California Screamin will backup and go down. Space for example only has a certain amount of blocks in the loading platform and if they have a slow moving guests the trains will back up in the station. Eventually the trains that are cycling will stop in brake zones inside the ride building causing the ride to go down. There's a lot more technicalities than that but that's the basic principal.

Back on topic...... Any Green Lantern testing videos surfaced yet?

This conversation is also boring.

Do any of you work at the park maintenance? Do you have the slightest idea as to what goes into rehabbing or working on trains? I highly doubt it, and all of this 'I think I sound technical' babble is actually kind of sad.

Also, is one-train rehab on Tatsu really necessary? Would you rather have a ride that can run two trains all year, or a ride that has to take three weeks out of the year to run two trains for possible future three-train operation? For reasons of being able to rehab one train at a time, you rarely ever see 3+train rides go down for rehab, yet Tatsu did.

Tatsu really needs a fourth train for more frequent three train ops. I think Goliath needs to run three trains more often, but they can do that because one rehab cycle is four weeks on that ride. Apocalypse needs three trains, not just the two they currently own. Doesn't Batman only have two trains too?

Tatsu really needs a fourth train for more frequent three train ops. I think Goliath needs to run three trains more often, but they can do that because one rehab cycle is four weeks on that ride. Apocalypse needs three trains, not just the two they currently own. Doesn't Batman only have two trains too?

I do believe Batman may have already had its seasonal rehab over the winter. I went in January 2011, and, although I did not wait in line, I did hear that one train may have been running due to the slower-than-normal dispatch rate. It is hard to tell on that ride, due to the awful queue design. (It gets REALLY hot in the summer)

While two-train operation is important, as long as you have good staff, three train operations are not. It would be much better if many parks focused more on staff modivation and less on running more trains. Goliath is really SFMM's ONE redeeming ride in terms of capacity. While three train operation would be nice, it really doesn't need it as the Goliath crews are always awesome, almost never stacking the trains.