TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Though a new trill ride sounds great, I think the park should invest more in tranquil type rides. Being someone who gets motion sickness and carries Dramamine and Tylenol in my pocket whenever I go, it would be great to have a ride or two that isn't falling, spinning, or flipping. Because all the park has now is the Sky Tower and the Oriental Express. So I'm all for a new dark ride, ferris wheel, or something that you can just relax on.

If it isn't a coaster for 2012 at SFMM, and everyone is hinting it could be a droptower, or starflyer ride, such as "Sky Screamer" at SFDK, and "Windseeker" at Knotts Berry Farm, which possibly it could be, but perhaps a new element for such the ride could be in the works.

As for where to build it, well there's the forementioned "Thrill Shot Area", and than there's the "Pistachio Park" area next to Buccaneer. They could also remove the "Swings" and use this space for the 2012 attraction.

Photo Credit: Unknown, TPR perhaps.

dscn1883.jpg.92066067280c5cd393d2af864a01f45c.jpg

Thrill Shot Area

sfmm_2011_030.bmp

Pistachio Park Area

imag0604.jpg.cbab3b32dd3d25ea2f32eed4d941754c.jpg

Swings

855060182_SkyScreamer_SFDKCA.thumb.JPG.955574b4158278958e7e8f194f80c567.JPG

Sky Screamer at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom..Would there be any room for such a ride as this in those 3 areas mentioned above? COuld this be SFMM 2012 attraction, or something similar?

I'm hoping it's the Worlds Tallest Starflyer, I hate drop rides so I could care less if they ever get one of those.

And I couldn't care less if they got a starflyer. Sans the lower cost and portability, I can see no reason why any park would take a starflyer over a drop tower. The GP and enthusiasts alike would totally eat up a 350ft+ drop tower. On my last visit to SFDK, V2 and Kong's wait was between 45 and 90 minutes all day, Medusa between 60 and 120 minutes, with Sky Screamer's wait at a measly 30-45 minutes. In addition, the most litered item I saw all day was Sky Screamer Fequent Flyer Cards. (Apparently no one had any desire to ride again) Drop towers have better capacity and they are more hair-raising rides. (Actually, your post kind of just proves why SFMM SHOULD get a drop tower. If you are freaked out by them, imagine how many people it would scare!)

Like they say everyone has their own opinion! I've been on Millie /I305 and plenty of coasters over 200 foot I'm not at all freaked out by a drop tower I just don't like them, well I like the S&S towers that blast off from the ground what is that a Turbo shot? I may ride a Drop tower once when it's new to the park or someone in my group wants to get on but other then that once is enough for me.I'm a coaster man I'm more then happy with SFMM being a coaster park. SFMM has had many many years to get a drop ride yet they haven't, I was just suggesting the Worlds Tallest StarFlyer since that seams to be what SF is interested in at the moment and what would interest me more, but it could be a Drop Ride Finally or even a 300 foot tall Tilt-a-whirl for all we know.

The Thrillshot location was a rumor I heard at last WCB. If they chose.that location, the surrounding area would need to be cleared. However, a better location would be atop the mountain near Tatsu. That way they could claim not only the height of the tower itself, but also the total height above sea level.

The only problem I could see with putting it on the mountain is that the mountain isn't exactly stable. If they do decide on the drop ride, putting it on top of the mountain could boost the traffic in that area.

Which, I'm sure, isn't why footers go deeper down in the ground than fathomable I mean Sky Tower must fall over on a daily basis!

Not to mention that rides have been built on bigger hills... without problems.

^ I think that has to do with the fact that they took out some of the mountain to build the ride instead of utilizing the mountain like they did with Revolution and Ninja.

If they had just designed the ride around the mountain it not only wouldn't have had issues with the mountain, but would have (IMO) made a much better ride.

^I slightly disagree with you, not about the mountain's stability, but about Tatsu in general. I think the ride is so appealing to the GP because it hovers above the rest of the rides on the mountain, and that makes for a hell of a thrill while going up the lift facing down.

That said, it would be interesting if Tatsu was a terrain hugging coaster like the others, but I personally prefer it high above the park.

Before we go all crazy discussing towers on the hill, lets revisit a time....a time called.....May 9th, 2011:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26782&start=18050

Read until you lose interest, so we can continue discussing new hot topics!!!

I, for one, am very excited about ANY non-coaster thrill ride at the mountain! Thrill Shot's area, minus the fact that there isn't a ton of room for a queue, would be a good location because I have always felt the walk from Apocalypse to Jet Stream basically sucks.

^^ How do you think the mountain is unstable? There are 5 coasters that use the mountain, 2 flume rides, Sky Tower, Orient Express, etc.

I was just thinking because of the whole Tatsu problem, but they still have the other side of the mountain. I was just trying to make a generalization, so nothing happens in the future if they do decide to build on top of the mountain. Sorry if I made it seem like the whole mountain is unstable.

My guess for the new ride is an S&S Screamin' Swing. It has a relatively small footprint and can be advertised as both a family ride and an exciting attraction. I'd love to get the chance to ride one of those; they look so fun (supposing they don't charge extra for it). Anyway, what do you think?

My guess for the new ride is an S&S Screamin' Swing. It has a relatively small footprint and can be advertised as both a family ride and an exciting attraction. I'd love to get the chance to ride one of those; they look so fun (supposing they don't charge extra for it). Anyway, what do you think?

I'd rather see a drop tower over a Screamin Swing. It's just a matter of my opinion though, although a lot of people (including me) have been pushing for a good drop tower for a while.