TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Wow, incredible how neutered the ride is today

In the picture above, is that entire white coaster Revolution? If so, it's amazing how different it looks in 'the nude' (no trees, other rides, etc.). Regardless of brakes/restraints, I bet it was an entirely different experience back then simply because of the visuals.

In other news with Green Lantern, they put the Green Lantern Symbol on the ride. It definitely makes the ride look more complete.

I thought I read on screamscape that they were disallowing Six Flags from using "Green Lantern" as the name... is that just the case for SFGAdv or might SFMM have to change the name/retheme the ride in the near future?

^ I belive what you're thinking of was that it was believed they might not be able to say Green Lantern in commercials that advertise the Coke can promotion, because the moves sponsored by Pepsi. Whatever issue might have been was resolved and shouldn't affect the rides name or theming.

I know it's a cliché by now, but I don't think a drop tower is out of the running. They have small footprints, can be easily marketed as an "extreme" ride, and the park desperately needs one. Additionally, this is the first time in several years the park could add a non-coaster ride (If Screamscape is right). Adding a Star Flyer is anothother possibility, but I'd say if WindSeeker @ Knott's ends up as a failure to bring in crowds, you can kiss that idea goodbye.

Now that they claim to have the "most coasters" I could easily see something like the world's tallest (gyro maybe) drop tower.....say as tall or maybe taller than Superman?

Btw, does MM have any height restrictions when it comes to building rides?

I'm going to guess this is a drop tower as well. Perhaps SFMM will replace Thrill Shot with an Intamin Gyro Drop and call it the tallest in the US. It would only have to beat Kings Dominion's Drop Tower (which I believe is about 315 ft) and it would be significantly different than any other ride around. If it is an S&S tower, however, I hope they get a combo tower as those look like more fun than a standard space shot or turbo drop.

If the park doesn't get a drop tower, I don't know what else they would be likely to get. Most other flat rides won't draw in crowds and it would be harder to claim a record unless they get something that hasn't been built in the US yet.

Thrillshot's spot seems the most likely for a tower ride, but you never know. A drop tower is certainly near the top of the list of missing attractions at the park. Magic Mountain has a history of doing things differently than other parks, even other parks within the chain. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they introduced a new concept in tower rides. Exactly what, I don't know, but I have faith in the leadership that they'd come out with something to "wow" us. With the mountain's renewed relationship with Intamin, we have at least some reason to hope for the best.

I really do hope that at some point in the future they entertain the idea of adding some type of dark ride to the park. Given the heat of Valencia summers, an option to enjoy an indoor, air conditioned, attraction would be a real crowd pleaser and yet another reason for guests to shell out the bucks for a Flashpass. I know I would. It wouldn't need to be a Radiator Springs Racers, or anything on even half that scale. I'd be perfectly happy with a fun, campy little ride-through like the new Haunted Castle at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, or some sort of interactive 3D shooter. After having seen the awesome new concepts from manufacturers like Sally, it makes me wonder why parks like MM don't have more interest in those types of attractions. I know that we always get the, "It's just not as marketable as a coaster" excuse, but if that's the case then how do other parks justify installing dark rides?

Back to the drop tower idea for a moment, have we ever heard what became of the Maliboomer? I know everyone will probably say it's far too similar to Supreme Scream just an hour or so down Interstate 5, but if the price was right it would give them a decent bang for the buck. The enthusiast crowd may cry foul, but enthusiasts don't exactly make up a very large percentage of the park's bottom line revenue. Besides, they could just give it an exceptionally bouncy program, name it "Oingo Boingo", and a fair number of the enthusiasts would be appeased.

I'm hoping it's the Worlds Tallest Starflyer, I hate drop rides so I could care less if they ever get one of those.

And I couldn't care less if they got a starflyer. Sans the lower cost and portability, I can see no reason why any park would take a starflyer over a drop tower. The GP and enthusiasts alike would totally eat up a 350ft+ drop tower. On my last visit to SFDK, V2 and Kong's wait was between 45 and 90 minutes all day, Medusa between 60 and 120 minutes, with Sky Screamer's wait at a measly 30-45 minutes. In addition, the most litered item I saw all day was Sky Screamer Fequent Flyer Cards. (Apparently no one had any desire to ride again) Drop towers have better capacity and they are more hair-raising rides. (Actually, your post kind of just proves why SFMM SHOULD get a drop tower. If you are freaked out by them, imagine how many people it would scare!)