TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Man injured on Six Flags Magic Mountain ride

Post a Comment ()

June 10, 2011 | 11:38 pm

A 31-year-old mechanic suffered cuts to his arm while working on the Tatsu coaster ride at the Six Flags Magic Mountain amusement park in Valencia, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department. No one else was hurt, and the ride reportedly was shut down for a while.

The injured man was initially treated at a first-aid station in the park and then was taken to the nearby Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital for further treatment, said Ray Dong, a Fire Department dispatcher. Dong said he did not know the cause of the accident.

Six Flags Magic Mountain did not return phone calls requesting information about the incident.

--Larry Gordon

From the Los Angeles Times

Hmmm... A guest? I think not. Way to go media, you've done it again! Glorify stories like this then add a twist to make things seem more serious. I'm sure SFMM never told the media anything about it being a guest.

And don't even get me started on how they chose to fly a helicopter over to circle the park for what was obviously a boring story to begin with.

So it went from a guest with a severe hand injury to a mechanic with cuts on his arm, stupid news media!

Do they even bother to check facts and sou rces first anymore? Now, this makes the use of the helicopter even more asinine!

News stations around here do stuff like that sometimes, but they are usually right. Not as bad as they are down there.

Is there anything else going on at MM that someone would like to talk about?

Here's a couple of things......

Are they still running the retro train on Revolution?

When wiill they start testing Green Lantern and are the cars on the track yet?

Two things:

1. Friday is a slow news day. An injury requiring someone to be sent to the hospital at one of the most well known places in LA is going to make the news.

2. Lets not write this off so quick. The injury was serious enough for the guy to be sent to the hospital, so the devil is really in the details. Obviously since the ride is open again, I am assuming he was discharged already, so it probably wasn't that bad. However, that doesn't mean something went wrong besides a harmless accident. We'll probably never hear about it because the ride is already back open and the state didn't keep the ride closed.

What do you mean? I know they repainted them

One is the red white and blue color with stars.

The other two are navy blue and gray

The red, white, and blue train with the 70's Magic Mountain logo on the front is the 'retro' train.

Maybe its being rehabbed.

There's a photo of it in here somewhere.

What do you mean? I know they repainted them

One is the red white and blue color with stars.

The other two are navy blue and gray

The red, white, and blue train with the 70's Magic Mountain logo on the front is the 'retro' train.

Maybe its being rehabbed.

There's a photo of it in here somewhere.

Yes they rehab it not too long ago!I love that train

Yes, and it used to be lap bars only, they ran it with no trim brakes, and it was common to see two trains running the circuit at the same time-OMG can you believe that?

Two train operation, two trains on the circuit at the same time.....

The The first one is a post card I bought at MM about 5 years ago and I think the second one is a postcard of a picture of it from its first year or two in operation, and if you look real close it looks like all three trains are on the circuit, which they used to do in the early years thanks to the blocking. Also early on, I believe they timed the dispatches so that as one train was going through the loop, another one was threading it simultaneously.

Yes, and it used to be lap bars only, they ran it with no trim brakes, and it was common to see two trains running the circuit at the same time-OMG can you believe that?

Actually, it was pretty much the norm back then to run all FIVE trains at the same time.

There would be no need to run more than 2 trains on Revolution any longer. Most days it's one of the shortest waits of any coaster in the park. I would love to see what SFMM and maybe a company like Mack Rides would be able to do to restore this classic. Imagine restraints like the ones used on Blue Fire, some fresh paint, reprofilling here and there and the removal of the trims.