TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hopefully this station is better than the Road Runner Express station!

And I'm pretty sure if we search Memorial Day was mentioned officially in one capacity or another.

As long as they run the ride like Insane, I'm willing to wait all summer!

Yeah, sorry for people who made plans around the 18th, I know how that is. For me this is really no big deal, Superman:EFK is totally worth a trip by itself. It really is GOOD. I wasn't planning to ride GL until July anyway, and whenever I go, no matter the cost, I'm buying the gold flashpass.

This is why you never plan trips around new coasters opening. And I say this about ANY new coaster from ANY manufacturer at ANY park.

If you want to go to the park, then go. If you want to ride a new coaster, give it a few months, to be safe. And even then, don't count on it. If it's open, then that's a bonus.

An L.A. Times news article said the ride was delayed not because of mechanical issues but because they reconfigured the staton. So id rather it be two weeks late then be stuck with a crppy station design.

Shouldn't they have thought of this way before they started building? Not in the weeks building up to the opening...

I hate to be like this, but this delay pisses me off too. I live up in the bay area, and my buddy and me planned and got time off work to go Mon/Tues June 27/28. Now it's too late to change our request off work, and neither of us will have enough money for another trip until late summer/early fall... but we REALLY wanted to ride GL. I guess we just have to chalk it up to lesson learned or something... but I just thought since the announcement of opening on the 17th was made with less than a month before it, and that was significantly after the original estimated opening, we would be safe... ugh...

^Exactly!

This way you can run to Superman first...and even the kiddie coaster if you're a credit whore. Then when you come back in the Fall you can get a few rides on GL before the GP gets back there!

Went to the park yesterday with my nephew, had a great time. Got in a few mins early and hustled up to tatsu for the first train of the day. X was closed at opening. Did a lap around the park in 45 mins and had hit 5 rides. Got some lunch then went back to ride everything we missed the first time around. We rode road runner two times, even got stuck on it the second ride, didn't quite make it into the station, oops. RRE is an excellent kid coaster. Finished off the day with a great ride on x2 in the front row. Also road deja for my first time, what a fun ride. Only one coaster left in the park to conquer, super man . The park was empty, only the first lot plus some buses.

Rides for the day:

Tatsu

Apoc x 2

Riddlers

Colossus

Scream

Goliath

Road runner

Viper

Ninja

Deja vu

Revolution

X2

Swashbuckler

I'd say it was a good day!

An L.A. Times news article said the ride was delayed not because of mechanical issues but because they reconfigured the staton. So id rather it be two weeks late then be stuck with a crppy station design.

Shouldn't they have thought of this way before they started building? Not in the weeks building up to the opening...

Not always. Sometimes things really work on paper or in a computer but it just really work in real life. So things have to be changed. And we don't know what they actually changed...

So I visited SFMM for the first time yesterday, and I must say it was not what I expected. To me, the park was like some boastful love-child of Hersheypark and Kings Dominion (who's probably sleeping with Busch Gardens Europe, skank). Lots of hills, lots of coasters. I can see how people would be turned off or on by this park. What surprised me most was how disappointed I was with their coasters. Mind you, I only got to ride Tatsu, X2, Ninja, Ridler's Revenge, Scream, Colossus, Revolution, Goldrusher, and Goliath. The only coasters I found myself loving are Tatsu, Goliath, Ninja, and X2. The rest were jerky, uncomfortable experiences that my bleeding ears and ribs would like to forget. Here are some snap judgments:

1) Superman is insanely loud. Like, earsplittingly loud.

2) Goldrusher doesn't have upstop wheels. I thought we were going to die.

3) I now see that Riddler's revenge is bashing your head into your harness and making your ears bleed.

4) Tatsu was great, but I think Manta is better. And FYI operators were just as slow over in FL ( at least when I went)

5) X2 was the most insane thing I've ever experienced. I was basically out of my seat the entire time - and therefore lost my sunglasses

6) Food is terrible and overpriced. Terribly overpriced.

7) Goliath was great, but the helix of death was overrated.

8) Colossus was strangely boring. I kept thinking "this was the ride in Nat. Lampoon's Vacation!" Even though I rode near the back, and was surprised they didn't brake the train at the MCBR like everyone told me they would, I didn't really feel any airtime :O

9) Scream is horrible. One train operation, ugly parking lot theme, rough rough rough!

10) Like with Colossus, I was excited to ride Revolution because of "Vacation". I am so glad I have SuperDooperLooper to wipe that rib-cracking experience from my memory.

11) Ninja was surprisingly intense and unique, but my love will always and forever remain with BBW.

12) I was surprised the park actually had some theming in areas. With a little bit of renaming or retheming, certain areas could be quite nice.

13) Definitely the best six flags park I've been to (out of SFA and SFGAd)

That's too bad you had that experience.

Btw, Goldrusher does have upstops but they are not wheels, strange design.

What he said. A lot of old Arrows have upstop pads instead of wheels. Gemini is the same way. Magnum used to have upstop pads, but they were replaced with wheels after the first season because at those speeds, wheels are a little more practical.

3) I now see that Riddler's revenge is bashing your head into your harness and making your ears bleed.

I'm surprised that you found it that rough. Now, I know stand-ups are not the smoothest coasters, but I only notice headbanging before the MCBR mainly. Oh well, it sucks you didn't get on Superman or Apocalypse: They're two of the best coasters in the park.

I'm surprised that you found it that rough. Now, I know stand-ups are not the smoothest coasters, but I only notice headbanging before the MCBR mainly. Oh well, it sucks you didn't get on Superman or Apocalypse: They're two of the best coasters in the park.

I was surprised too. When I think of B&M I usually think smooth but intense. I must have had bad luck cause I banged my head through most of the transitions no matter how I braced it. I would have ridden Superman and Apocalypse but I was starting to feel kinda nauseous from being tossed around all day.

Btw, Goldrusher does have upstops but they are not wheels, strange design.

Yeah I noticed the metal pads under the rails. Really caught me off guard but it was still a fun ride in a "OMG WE GONNA DIE YALL" way.

BTW Green Lantern looks sick. Some people were taking pics of it near the construction walls and one girl said "WTF is THAT?" lol.

I'm definitely gonna return to finish off the rest of the coasters because I'm at 96 coasters right now. SO CLOSE TO 100!!!

Headed out a for a few hours today. Superman and X2 was closed on opening, but Deja Vu was open! Because we had aDiscover Card we were let into the park 5 minutes early. This is a huge benefit! Also, with 5% off most purchases there is really no reason not to get a Discover Card! Anyway, I didn't see any Green Lantern vehicles or cars yet.

LA01.jpg.6d32af9740f5e2df7d31dcb3b748634d.jpg

The line that lets you in 5 minutes early with a Discover Card.

LA02.jpg.d374fc05251a8cba122ee550c65473ce.jpg

Everyone else.

LA03.jpg.45785111652c0db44212a3ed02a67f2b.jpg

See you all later!

LA04.thumb.jpg.bbf4fea050b19f3ae90a2c8bd7845170.jpg

Welcome to Six Flags Magic Mountain

LA05.thumb.jpg.f191be645da0a4f7c4f9e613e51c9d1b.jpg

Just a little taller than Amy

LA06.jpg.1cc9926d3b311441adfa261b175a3a74.jpg

I couldn't believe Deja Vu opened with the park!

LA07.jpg.9ee4cc3bb4d8edefc26659f5fa065d42.jpg

Still a ton of old Terminator Salvation merchandise. Most of it is 75% off

LA08.jpg.499e046a5584252ee7548905fbaee6ad.jpg

We stayed ahead of the crowd and we didn't have to watch the pre-show.

LA09.jpg.ddf12c5eda07e1562fea210621ddddd6.jpg

Unfortunately, it was only running one train so even a two car wait is about 15 minutes.

LA10.jpg.3f1df7f74140f1e14586f7d8e19c1c41.jpg

They also have oxygen on the other side of the hill so ACE'rs can catch their breath after walking over the hill.

LA11.jpg.50df2893389ebf54b407599a1cfa1c83.jpg

It was pretty empty in the morning.

LA12.thumb.jpg.e31da90f4ff1102ec0edff169fb8febd.jpg

I'm finally getting a ride on Riddler's Revenge since it has been down to one train for a while.

LA13.jpg.5f54222bda9e0368f6cdb704a45e5df3.jpg

I really do like Riddler's Revenge.

LA14.jpg.0c13e44610d10f2e3602763b3f1bbf09.jpg

Does anyone have a giant magic marker to change the date to July?

LA15.thumb.jpg.57a4d291cd6bbd79a2e73c046db23517.jpg

Superman was still closed when we left around noon.

LA16.jpg.c6908fe714273ad81651d5e8cc28c859.jpg

I guess they don't want to run it when those guys are walking it.

1.jpg.7a5ba765fa6f0cabe860208c4e226cdf.jpg

Getting a new credit!!!

LA18.jpg.50b55f4048bfb306940ae176227c0872.jpg

I am very surprised how much theming there is. It looked very good.

LA19.thumb.jpg.69053cc3e85c2bf08a10648ba3297dca.jpg

Hey Robb, I think this fountain also needs to be remodeled.

Nice update, jray21! That's too bad that X2 and S:EFK were closed, but it's good to hear that Deja vu opened on time. When was the last time that ever happened? I really like Roadrunner Express; it's a perfect fit for the park IMO, and it has good theming.

Somebody needs to get me a TS:TR fridge magnet! I'd love to have one of those!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Just a little tip for the people who dont have a discover card and dont want another credit card, arco has a discover debit card that links straight to your checking account it also gets rid of those $.45 frees they have. I guess you earn cash back every quarter too but I only use it for gas.