TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^

Gotta love that Six Flags business model.

It actually makes sense. If I was running park like SFMM (that markets itself on coasters) and someone pitched me on paying $5 million for a giant swing ride vs. a coaster that reportedly costs just slightly more (Insane @ Gronaland is listed at $7 million), I'd take the coaster too. Much more marketing value, and probably not much of a capacity difference either.

^ Agreed. Also, there is no rule book that says you have to run your park the way everyone else runs theirs. Maybe they just don't like flats, and want to almost exclusively cater to coaster fans. There is no theme park "law" that says you can't do that.

Funny how the same people that have bashed CP in the past for only building Roller Coasters are the same people defending MM for doing just that! Yet, Cedar Point has a far better collection of flats than MM, better kids areas, night time light shows, and has built rides like Shoot the Rapids in recent years. I would also give the edge in coasters to CP. It amazes me how the CP haters come out on this site!

Neither is my favorite park, although I have CP way up there, but SFMM fanboys are showing their jealousy of CP more now than ever. SFMM can keep building low capacity and kiddie coasters as much as you want to get a "stupid coaster record," but at least CP has diversity in their rides and entertainment.

I prefer Universal Studios myself.

For the last time: this has nothing to do with SFMM vs. CP, SFMM's bad operations, or anything else.

The simple FACT of the matter is that it is a sound business decision for the park to be investing in coasters that cost about the same amount as a flat ride. You may not agree with SFMM going back to being the "Xtreme park," but if that is what they want to be their niche in the very crowded so cal market, why wouldn't they keep investing in coasters?

Well, that pretty much confirms it's that same piece of theming from SFGAd's Green Lantern.

I'm not a comic book dork, can someone explain to me what it is?

It's Green Lantern's lantern. Green Lantern has a funky ring where he can make all sorts of cool things, but the ring needs to be recharged every 24 hours. The lantern charges the ring. Now the lantern really isn't that big, but the one on Oa is quite huge. Oa is the home of the Green Lantern Corps.

I could tell you all sorts of things about the Green Lantern Corps and Oa, but your head will probably spin.

Well, that pretty much confirms it's that same piece of theming from SFGAd's Green Lantern.

I'm not a comic book dork, can someone explain to me what it is?

It's what is used to charge the Green Lantern's ring. Assuming it's the same as Gadv's, it'll blink through brightest day and blackest night. I'll end the nerdiness there.

Edit: ^Beat me to it lol

I would also give the edge in coasters to CP.

Nope. I will hand it to CP though, as TTD's launch is stronger than KK's.

But other than that, even Magic Mountain beats CP in terms of coasters. Take Tatsu, Deja Vu and X2 in terms of WTF thrills and forces in general, and they beat out any 3 coaster punch CP has to offer. Yeah the atmosphere at CP is awesome, but the coasters at Six Flags are just better.

I would also give the edge in coasters to CP.

Nope. I will hand it to CP though, as TTD's launch is stronger than KK's.

But other than that, even Magic Mountain beats CP in terms of coasters. Take Tatsu, Deja Vu and X2 in terms of WTF thrills and forces in general, and they beat out any 3 coaster punch CP has to offer. Yeah the atmosphere at CP is awesome, but the coasters at Six Flags are just better.

^So true and we also have riddler too!

I don't mean to drag the whole coasters v. flats debate out, as I like both, but I do have a question. I understand that some coasters aren't that much more than some flats to buy and install, but what's the long-term operating cost difference between the two? With all the complaints about one train operations on the coasters, do the flats experience a comparable amount of downtime due to maintenance? And is there a major difference in maintenance costs between the two? Just curious.