TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It isn't all bad, not at all. The park looks great, the crews are no worse than average, and we experienced excellent service at Mooseburger Lodge. There's beer now, discreetly offered. A bottle of Bud will set you back $7.50; the better grade is $8.25 ea. There's little danger of rowdy drunken louts roaming the park.

Chalk this up under the headline "Reporter needs to check his facts first":

From the Daily News "Great Escapes" section yesterday Daily News:

Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, N.J., and Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, are launching Green Lantern, a 15-story stand-up coaster that begins with a 45-mph vertical drop before rocketing riders through five inversions, including loops and corkscrews.

Green Lantern is among three new coasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

The author also states that Coney Island has just opened it's first new roller coaster since the Cyclone went in in the 1920's.

Could 2 Six Flags parks on opposite coasts open 2 new coasters with the same name??? How could they be different???? The G.P. is so lame.

Mosh pit madness as the gate opened this morning. We were near the front at the right-most staffed gate. Around 10:15 people started to bunch up to our right.

From my perspective, the rest of the entry plaza was nearly full, so they may have been seeking elbow room. That's the generous take - once the gate swung open, all those people pushed and forced their way forward. It was a crush, a full-on scrum. No problem for an adult; definitely scary and potentially hazardous for a child. The park can and should do better. Open earlier when busy, put up a portable barrier by the edge gate, or staff more gates.

It's busy here today, with the main lot full. Superman is running one train, as is Apoc (that train rehab is crawling!). Deja is sitting idle. Goliath queue is full. Gold is the day saver.

I went on a thursday the week after Spring Break, and Deja Vu was actually open! Why would they take a break from rehab, only to close it again? (Maybe it was just another GIB 'off' day)

Ugh...not good. No excuse for one train operation on anything on a Memorial Day weekend. Are they nuts?

To my knowledge, they have been running one train since March (and probably longer). The reason for such a long rehab is that Apoc only has two trains, meaning they have to refurb each one, one at a time. Tatsu's rehab was much shorter, since that ride has three trains, meaning they can rehab two at once, and switch the two rehabs for the one running one.

My suggestion: either do the ticket system (if you were at SFMM around or during WCB, you know what I mean) or just close the ride completely. There is nothing worse than waiting 2 hours for a one train ride. I just do not understand why they would impose a ticket system on Tatsu, but not on Apoc! (Both had 2 hour waits with 1 train, but only Tatsu got the special treatment)

Edited by MrSum1_55

^^Again it comes down to poor scheduling on their part. Bite the bullet and absorb the cost of a rehab BEFORE the ride hits the mandatory amount of cycles or time.

^^Again it comes down to poor scheduling on their part. Bite the bullet and absorb the cost of a rehab BEFORE the ride hits the mandatory amount of cycles or time.

Again, neither Supe nor Deja Vu was planned downtime. Shit happens!

The main season starts Memorial Day Weekend and I am not aware that either Riddler or Tatsu are down to one train. With Apocalypse there could be multiple reasons for one train operation, none of we would have an "insight" on.

I hardly think Magic Mountain planned it this way, but as mentioned before, it can happen.

I think two other area primed fro redevelopment with "family/kids" rides would be up by Katies Corner...they need to get rid of that games area...put something new in there...or at least a serious flat there...and up by Ninja...between Ninja and the Tower is a perfect area for redevlopment, and if done right, could bring the crowds back up to the top of the hill...there, just wanted to get my 2 cents in....I also wish the park would have the money to demolish all of the old ride stations/remnants/unused parts that are scattered around....old Dragon Station, Revolution queue by X2 and that station for Eagle's Flight....there just all in such a state of decay....there, another 2 cents...

^^Spring break isn't prime time? It truly is disappointing the park is (still!) running one train on Apocalypse. Two steps forward, one step back. On balance, the park is still on the upswing. That's one reason these hiccups are so aggravating.

A few crappy cell shots for your enjoyment (or not).

Apoc1.gif.1381e652221573e9add6678575b01217.gif

Want to truly experience the horror of the Apocalypse? Introducing Magic Mountain's new ApocShot coaster standing platform. For the low, low upcharge price of $250 (plus a signed and notarized liability waiver), you too can strap in and hold on for dear life. Standing room only!

Apoc2.gif.59d5043dfc1b226e683ca8fcd687a196.gif

The real reason for the lengthy TermApoc train rehab. The removal of failed theming requires the painstaking application of a hammer and chisel.

Beer.thumb.gif.0696f03f21196d41b789d55855a4142b.gif

Cheap suds these ain't at $7.50 per Bud and $8.25 for the others. 12-ounce bottles.

I think two other area primed fro redevelopment with "family/kids" rides would be up by Katies Corner...they need to get rid of that games area...put something new in there...or at least a serious flat there...and up by Ninja...between Ninja and the Tower is a perfect area for redevlopment, and if done right, could bring the crowds back up to the top of the hill...there, just wanted to get my 2 cents in....I also wish the park would have the money to demolish all of the old ride stations/remnants/unused parts that are scattered around....old Dragon Station, Revolution queue by X2 and that station for Eagle's Flight....there just all in such a state of decay....there, another 2 cents...

Though the park has penty of space opportunity to build future attractions, I agree that something could be built where the old Revolution Queue is, a station for a Launch Coaster, as seen in my horrible design image below...The rope is suppose to be the track.

I also have a suggestion for a Eurofighter Dive Devil Coaster could be built. In the new DC Universe area. Directly behind the fake building facade and Wonder Woman's Golden Lasso is this building, which could be maintenance, distribution or spare parts area, not sure. Well, if they remove it, and build it elsewhere in this massive lot, depicted in my images, that space could be used for a Eurofighter coaster like that Dive Devil at Six Flags Over Georgia, and the queue entrance and exit, top left. The coaster can be themed to a DC Universe character, which would go along with the themed area, and Green Lantern directly across from it. I know SFMM won't do this perhaps, but it sure would look nice, small water streams, rocks, landscaped really nice. What does everybody think?

1114799478_SFMM_ProposedLaunchCoasterLocation.thumb.jpg.cc954e9217bea87b2935c9fd69494f09.jpg

Proposed Launch Coaster Area

1437486124_SFMM_BuildingRemoval_000.thumb.jpg.ba64365c847e719a614098901e8ed249.jpg

362692739_SFMM_BuildingRemoval_001.thumb.jpg.55a0cabb9bd82067a17af3661b6ee2c3.jpg

1133051178_SFMM_BuildingRemoval_002.thumb.jpg.2daa3f250bd10ae3306047ebdc235cce.jpg

I think that the mountain could use some "serious" flats before planning any more roller coaster editions. Of course, this has been said for many of the past seasons. Now that they have 18 coasters I think they should think about family flats that are also thrilling like S&S Screamin' swing or even a Disk-o.

The main season starts Memorial Day Weekend and I am not aware that either Riddler or Tatsu are down to one train. With Apocalypse there could be multiple reasons for one train operation, none of we would have an "insight" on.

I hardly think Magic Mountain planned it this way, but as mentioned before, it can happen.

Riddler's was down to one train because one was under maintenance and the other was sent to New Jersey for Great Adventure's opening of Green Lantern. So they were left with one. Tatsu's one train lasted a couple weeks (maybe three? It wasn't long). But one of those weeks was over spring break. Whoops! Apocalypse's maintenance has dragged serious ass. Over President's weekend I remember not wanting to wait thirty minutes for it because it was down to one train. I think we may be approaching the 4 month mark on one train for that ride. I think Riddler's was one train from November to February as well.

I was at the park yesterday (I don't even know why I went). It was crowded (of course). Got there at opening and hit Goliath, Colossus, Scream x2, Riddler's x2, Ninja, Tatsu, and Deja Vu before bailing. Deja Vu was closed all day until it reopened right as I walked past. It was definitely just a "GIB day problem." According to the op on the speakers, something was "sticking"? They had the entire Deja Vu plaza gated off the whole day until it opened. Superman's left side didn't open until after noon, and even then, both sides had sketchy operations. Line was out to Laughing Dragon's Pizza when I checked.

Tatsu was running double stations, but with only two trains. Line was wrapping around the mountain, fluctuating between 2 and 2.5 hours. I don't the double station like that works very well because once the line splits, its one train operation from there on out. What was happening is the trains were loading at the same time, but one would dispatch and the other would have to wait for the block brakes to clear. So even though the train was loaded and ready for dispatch, it would sit in the station for a good 2-3 minutes before it went. The sitting trains caused the crew to be more slow then usual ( ). I think the double stations should only be used if there are three trains running, or if there are alternating dispatches WITHOUT a slow crew (heh-heh). It might have been more efficient to run two trains with one station, having 4 restraint checking ops and a lead.

I think that the mountain could use some "serious" flats before planning any more roller coaster editions. Of course, this has been said for many of the past seasons. Now that they have 18 coasters I think they should think about family flats that are also thrilling like S&S Screamin' swing or even a Disk-o.

At WCB, they said that they rather spend on a rollercoaster because a flat ride cost as much as a coaster.

Ugh, IMO in a park like Magic Mountain there's no reason Apoc should have 1 train operation making up unnecessary 2 hour waits. It just keeps guests waiting in line, tied up from being able to SPEND money around the rest of the park! The ride should have 3 trains, 2 on the track at all times and 1 sitting on the transfers, being rehabbed, ready to replace a running train if needed. The 12th row also needs to be added to increase capacity even if it helps just a little. This is stuff that should just be standard, but again this is Six Flags we're talking about.

These early TRs are making me wonder if I should even make a trip to the park this summer. I'll have a good time when I go, but it puts a damper on the day when operations are lousy and the park doesn't appear to be running efficiently. It sometimes makes me wonder if I should just wait until the off-season when crowds are lighter.

At WCB, they said that they rather spend on a rollercoaster because a flat ride cost as much as a coaster.

Yeah that was a really weird statement. They also said rollercoasters are better marketing machines. Generally, they seemed stuck in the 90's. Today's flats are as awesome as any coaster.

They did say they would consider one along with a coaster addition in the future. I honestly feel that as long as a few key people are running SFMM, its going to be 90 percent coasters. It's like a drug.

Edited by John Knotts

I think they should add a drop tower on the back off S:EFK! Kinda like at dreamworld except three tracks on the very back of the track of S:EFK. They could always do a launched coaster and put Flash on it, or slap captain americas name on a dive. If they were to put a drop tower it should be themed around Lux Luther. Just my idea.

I think they should add a drop tower on the back off S:EFK! Kinda like at dreamworld except three tracks on the very back of the track of S:EFK. They could always do a launched coaster and put Flash on it, or slap captain americas name on a dive. If they were to put a drop tower it should be themed around Lux Luther. Just my idea.

Captain America is Marvel, not going to happen.

The Atom Smasher is Flash now.

^

Gotta love that Six Flags business model.

It actually makes sense. If I was running park like SFMM (that markets itself on coasters) and someone pitched me on paying $5 million for a giant swing ride vs. a coaster that reportedly costs just slightly more (Insane @ Gronaland is listed at $7 million), I'd take the coaster too. Much more marketing value, and probably not much of a capacity difference either.