TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I enjoyed the videos and pictures from yesterday's ribbon ceremony for Road Runner Express, SFMM did an excellent job bringing this coaster to life, from what they previously were going to do with it, great theming, colors, and looks fun for all the young coaster enthusiasts, who can't ride the bigger rides.

I think if they did build it as Mr. Six's Dance Coaster next to Deja Vu, on that small little lot, it may not have been that accepted by the GP for being a family coaster, so far from where all the other family and kids rides are located, within Bugs Bunny World, so SFMM did an excellent job ditching that theme, and relocating it in an area, where it would be more accessible for families to enjoy it, as Road Runner Express.

Does anybody know what SFMM plan on building on that dirt lot next to Deja Vu? I know many hope they build a new flat ride, maybe something like that Sky SCreamer or Wind Seeker. I think if they built such an attraction in that area, more of that hillside would have to be removed, but I am no expect in architectural design when it comes to Theme Parks, but hopefully something nice for 2012.

I can't wait for the opening for Green Lantern next month, and see what they did to the old Batman backlot (rethemed as DC Universe), should be exciting for everybody here at TPR.

Tim

I'm glad to see that SFMM has finally got Road Runner Express opened and it looks like they did a great job with it as well. This works well to bridge the intensity gap between Canyon Blaster and Gold Rusher, and it should be popular with families. The only thing I somewhat dislike is the one-sided station, as that will really decrease capacity on an already low capacity ride. Other than that, great job Six Flags Magic Mountain. Even though it is just a family coaster, I'll be sure to try it when I visit next.

REALLY? KIDTUMS HAS MORE CREDITS THAN ME?!?!?

Yeah, and they would call us credit whores for riding all those kiddie coasters. Seriously though, that's awesome! KidTums is going to have 1000 credits before she's 20. Maybe sooner.

I think if they did build it as Mr. Six's Dance Coaster next to Deja Vu, on that small little lot, it may not have been that accepted by the GP for being a family coaster, so far from where all the other family and kids rides are located, within Bugs Bunny World, so SFMM did an excellent job ditching that theme, and relocating it in an area, where it would be more accessible for families to enjoy it, as Road Runner Express.

I absolutely totally 100% disagree with this.

If you've ever read any of my KidTums' Korner articles in the Club TPR Magazine you'll see that I'm not alone in my feelings of despising parks that put all of the kids stuff in one area of the park.

Why should we be isolated and far away from everyone else? Why can't we go around the park as a family and find kids rides next to big rides? Several parks, including some Six Flags Parks (SFOT), do a great job of mixing in kids and big rides so that families can stay together all day. It's terrible visiting parks where you're basically 'stuck' in a kids area all day while everyone else goes and rides stuff.

^It's like how Cedar Point has two seperate kid sections, one by Maxair, and one by Gemini. And on top of that, they have kid coasters spread around the park, like Wildcat, and all of those car rides too.

Another family coaster would be good for SFMM. Perhaps in the spot of the GoKarts, maybe a Gerstlauer Spinner, but capacity isn't good. Although that didn't stop them from building a Zacspin.

If you've ever read any of my KidTums' Korner articles in the Club TPR Magazine you'll see that I'm not alone in my feelings of despising parks that put all of the kids stuff in one area of the park.

Why should we be isolated and far away from everyone else? Why can't we go around the park as a family and find kids rides next to big rides? Several parks, including some Six Flags Parks (SFOT), do a great job of mixing in kids and big rides so that families can stay together all day. It's terrible visiting parks where you're basically 'stuck' in a kids area all day while everyone else goes and rides stuff.

I absolutely agree with this, it completely makes total sense. Why should kids/families be forced or even segregated to be stuck in one place when the whole family can enjoy the entire park together, riding rides, buying stuff, having a good time. Its fine to have an area dedicated to just kids but there should be kids rides sprinkled around the park so the kids can enjoy the entire park with their families. The spot next to DV is the perfect example of this. If there were a kiddie ride in that spot, the whole family could shoot over there...the kids could ride the little ride while the adults go on DV. Then they all could meet up in that area when they are done- its too perfect!

I absolutely agree with this, it completely makes total sense. Why should kids/families be forced or even segregated to be stuck in one place when the whole family can enjoy the entire park together, riding rides, buying stuff, having a good time. Its fine to have an area dedicated to just kids but there should be kids rides sprinkled around the park so the kids can enjoy the entire park with their families. The spot next to DV is the perfect example of this. If there were a kiddie ride in that spot, the whole family could shoot over there...the kids could ride the little ride while the adults go on DV. Then they all could meet up in that area when they are done- its too perfect!

You two have a point, and I guess it would be good to have family rides all over the park, instead of having them all bunched up together. That just shows you what I know, because I don't know all that much about other park's layouts, nor do I visit that many theme parks. It's true if built over by Deja Vu, now that I read what you two wrote, it would make perfect sense for families to wonder around the park to get to a family attraction, apposed to just being in one area. Well, maybe SFMM will build a family attraction or maybe that Sky Screamer in that area, that would be cool.

Tim

Eh, I don't think it's as big of a "everyone thinks this way" when it comes to having 1-2 "kiddie" areas vs. spreading them around a given park.

I get both sides of the debate, but I think a LOT of it has to do if you're going to the park with a "mixed" group or just with little kids. Mixed group, well I get why you'd want them spread out. But if you're going with a (either small or big) group of little kids I'm not so sure that you'd "absolutely 100% love" having the kiddie rides spread out around the park. I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't really a clear cut answer to the question....which is probably why some parks do cluster, and some don't.

As far as one of Riddler's trains heading out east, has there been any talk about ordering a new one eventually? Also, still curious if there is any word "where" the Metro's trains ended up going to?

I think the perfect spot for another family/kids area is to get rid of the dining area where Panda Express is by Viper, move the dining up to where the old queue for Revolution, and turn the present dining area into a whole new kids area.....

^ At the very least that would make a good spot for a flat with a desert theme. There are several places that could use a sprinkling of family rides, including County Fair, the back of the park near Jet Stream and the new DC Universe. The park could also use some live entertainment with a grassy area just to sit and take a break.

Also, still curious if there is any word "where" the Metro's trains ended up going to?

Yes, this website's update will answer your question.

www.thecoasterguy.com/index.php/2011/05/29/six-flags-magic-mountains-metro-monorail-arrives-in-hershey-pa/#more-985

Must be nice to have a home park that invests in niceties and attractions which don't necessarily garner revenue through advertisement. Even though Hershey won't see a dime increase at the end of the year for buying those trains, they still decide to invest in an attraction to provide their guests with transportation rides, which make the overall experience at the park just a little bit nicer for everyone visiting the park.

Take some notes, Six Flags!

Being a parent who has taken his kids to SFMM for years, I really would like to see some family rides around the park. It's difficult to hit some of the bigger rides when there is nothing to entertain the kids except jet stream and the scrambler, which gives me the option of getting soaked or dizzy. There are a lot of flats that would fill the need of being family friendly and having a small footprint.

On the subject of Metro, I'm glad that the trains found a home. That said, I'm also glad that SFMM finally decided to let it go, I mean I would have loved to see it run again, but it just was not cost effective and that money could probably be spent elsewhere in the park.

I really can't see how it could be said that Hershey invested in anything, they spent $100,000, that's nothing, they didn't put in anything new, they just bought some surplus trains. In the end, they got more than their moneys worth and extended the life of their monorail.

Must be nice to have a home park that invests in niceties and attractions which don't necessarily garner revenue through advertisement. Even though Hershey won't see a dime increase at the end of the year for buying those trains, they still decide to invest in an attraction to provide their guests with transportation rides, which make the overall experience at the park just a little bit nicer for everyone visiting the park.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Hersheypark's monorail is sponsored by corporate advertising. In the last picture I saw, the trains were completely wrapped in Blue Cross ads. That could be how they keep it up and running, by treating it as a moving billboard throughout the park. Six Flags probably could have easily done that, but I'm kind of glad they didn't.

On this debate, I am not really sure which side to take. On the one hand kiddie rides spread around the park means the adults have something more to do, as they ride a coaster nearby to a kiddie ride. However, on the other hand, do we really want rowdy teens disembarking from Deja Vu running amuck on kids' precious kiddie coaster? In addition, young kids (just too large for the stroller) hate walking. It probably depends on whose point of view you look at it from; the kid or the adult.

I 1000% agree with Elissa on this.

Even though my kids are older now, when they were younger going to parks like SFMM sucked for both the kids and us. We felt bad because there was nothing for them to ride other than BBW, and they felt bad because they had to be stuck in the stroller all day.

With the way child switch works, having kid-friendly rides in the back area of the park would allow one parent to ride while the other rides the kiddie rides with the child who isn't tall enough. And then switch.

This is what makes the Disney parks so successful and is one of the main reasons Magic Kingdom is the top visited park in the US.

Let's say you want to ride Space Mountain. You get a child switch. While one person is waiting in line (or using FP) you have the option of riding Peoplemover, Stitch, MILF, CoP, Buzz or walking into Fantasyland (not far away) and riding something.

Even EPCOT which isn't considered "child friendly" has these options for younger children.

The back-side of SFMM has exactly 2 rides for kids under 42" ... Jet Stream and Scrambler. Road Runner Express/Mr. Six would have given families at least a 3rd option. It still wouldn't have been enough, but it would have been a good start.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Hersheypark's monorail is sponsored by corporate advertising. In the last picture I saw, the trains were completely wrapped in Blue Cross ads. That could be how they keep it up and running, by treating it as a moving billboard throughout the park. Six Flags probably could have easily done that, but I'm kind of glad they didn't.

Yes, but Capital BlueCross has been sponsoring that ride for many years and it's pretty much at the point where it kind of just becomes "part" of the ride. Unlike with Six Flags, which randomly chooses rides and adds a wrap to their rides where they come nowhere in fitting with the theme. At least with the Monorail, it really has no theme to ruin.

Same with the park's train rides being sponsored by Amtrak. At least the sponsor fits in with the theme.

Chalk this up under the headline "Reporter needs to check his facts first":

From the Daily News "Great Escapes" section yesterday Daily News:

Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, N.J., and Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, are launching Green Lantern, a 15-story stand-up coaster that begins with a 45-mph vertical drop before rocketing riders through five inversions, including loops and corkscrews.

Green Lantern is among three new coasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

The author also states that Coney Island has just opened it's first new roller coaster since the Cyclone went in in the 1920's.

Chalk this up under the headline "Reporter needs to check his facts first":

From the Daily News "Great Escapes" section yesterday Daily News:

Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, N.J., and Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, are launching Green Lantern, a 15-story stand-up coaster that begins with a 45-mph vertical drop before rocketing riders through five inversions, including loops and corkscrews.

Green Lantern is among three new coasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

The author also states that Coney Island has just opened it's first new roller coaster since the Cyclone went in in the 1920's.

This is just a AP article that came out 3 days ago, I sent a message to advice them on there mistakes, but guess nobody cared to read it. So now other Newspapers all over the country will reprint what AP wrote

Good to see SF put the effort into RRE and get that height limit down to 36. I am very glad to see them put the coaster here, and actually theme it to match. I think if it was by Deja Vu, I can't think of a kid friendly theme that would work in that area. Maybe SF has a master plan to actually move SFMM towards having themed areas that make logical sense for once? Bugs Bunny & pals really should be taking over Log Jammer,

I think for the next family attraction, move away from flats which also usually just divide families, and pursue a 4-D movie venue, a clone of Scooby Doo ghostblasters, etc. Family attractions where all ages can experience together and still be entertained really are missing in the park.

I spent a good 20 minutes speaking with Neal T at WCB, and although he didn't go into detail, he did say the park is heading back towards themes areas, and away from random placement of attractions. He also said there is a multi year plan in place that will address long standing issues.

Mosh pit madness as the gate opened this morning. We were near the front at the right-most staffed gate. Around 10:15 people started to bunch up to our right.

From my perspective, the rest of the entry plaza was nearly full, so they may have been seeking elbow room. That's the generous take - once the gate swung open, all those people pushed and forced their way forward. It was a crush, a full-on scrum. No problem for an adult; definitely scary and potentially hazardous for a child. The park can and should do better. Open earlier when busy, put up a portable barrier by the edge gate, or staff more gates.

It's busy here today, with the main lot full. Superman is running one train, as is Apoc (that train rehab is crawling!). Deja is sitting idle. Goliath queue is full. Gold is the day saver.