TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^It's hard to split the crowds because X2 is the first thing the GP sees when driving up to the park, so it's in their short-term memory. But I'm hoping for something big. 2012 seems like it will be a huge year for theme parks, especially in CA.

That should be a good thing, especially for us! I'll be a happy camper if people continue to run for X2 and Tatsu, and I can get early morning rides on GL.

As for 2012, it's really hard to tell what SFMM will do if Knotts adds that rumored big ride, plus Universal and Disney. The company still seems unwilling to shell out $18-$20 mill on one ride like they used to. But with the major stuff opening next year, can they really stand pat with Green Lantern for next year?

Same, I can't wait to see what they do.

Superman's return was predictable, but necessary. An overall good step forward for the park. Green Lantern was a "neato" move by SFMM, and a really creative addition to the collection of coasters. But I'm hoping for something on the scale of Tatsu. Who knows what will happen.

Ok so from what I gather I should hit up X2 and/or Tatsu first depending on if I arrive early (which I will... hopefully). And if not, then I go counter-clockwise to go against crowd flow. Awesome. In terms of food, what places are the best quality and price? I enjoy vomiting up funnel cakes and fried chicken on rides as much as the next person, but healthyish food would be pleasant! Especially if I'm gonna be testing my thrill tolerance on rides I've never been on. Seriously, I may love roller coasters.... but X2 and Viper have me nervous!

Ok so from what I gather I should hit up X2 and/or Tatsu first depending on if I arrive early (which I will... hopefully). And if not, then I go counter-clockwise to go against crowd flow. Awesome. In terms of food, what places are the best quality and price? I enjoy vomiting up funnel cakes and fried chicken on rides as much as the next person, but healthyish food would be pleasant! Especially if I'm gonna be testing my thrill tolerance on rides I've never been on. Seriously, I may love roller coasters.... but X2 and Viper have me nervous!

The cliche that answers this question is: Mooseburger lodge is the only sit down restaurant in the park, and has a lot of options, many of which are on the healthier side.

You can find some "lighter" food scattered through the park, but there isn't much. I think at Food Etc. by Goliath there might be some healthy choices. Cyber Cafe near the fountains at the front has "healthier" snacks. Otherwise the park has pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers, BBQ, or Chinese food.

I went to the park today (6-21) and it was moderately crowded.

I rode Apocalypse and Superman for the first time today.

Apocalypse was running one train, and it took forever to get to the station. After the pre show, the wait was not too bad. This was my first GCI ever. I found the restraints comfortable, and the ride had some nice laterals. The station fly through was pretty cool as well. It's not the best woody I've experienced, but it's light years above Psyclone.

Superman:EFK had about an hour and a half wait. The ride experience caught me by surprise and it made me quite nervous. I found this to be way better than the original.

A couple quick notes:

Season Pass processing was short and easy.

Green Lantern looks a lot larger and more impressive in person.

The employees I encountered were very polite and more energetic than previous visits.

The parking lot could be better lit at night, but I've been to other parks that have the same issue.

I went to the park today (6-21) and it was moderately crowded.

Did the Bulls win on 5/22? QUICK, I need to know soon time traveller! Actually, just let me know who won both the Eastern and Western Conference Finals while you're at it!

On a serious note, anyone else feel all of the computer aided graphics and photoshop stuff almost takes away from the "surprise" of what a new attraction actually looks like once built? I know there have always been renderings, but it's funny how the REAL pictures of Green Lantern seem like we've already seen it there before....

Also, did we ever figure out where the monorail cars went to?

Same, I can't wait to see what they do.

Superman's return was predictable, but necessary. An overall good step forward for the park. Green Lantern was a "neato" move by SFMM, and a really creative addition to the collection of coasters. But I'm hoping for something on the scale of Tatsu. Who knows what will happen.

I agree (hopeful wishing!). I'm so glad SFMM is out of that 'for sale' closure scare in 2006. There seems to be a lot more confidence now, even in this recession. It's good to know Intamin is back on board with S:EFK and GL, I feel these are only teasers for something huge possibly for 2012 or beyond. Intamin's latest creations like Intimidator 305 are killer!! I can definitely see something of that nature fitting into SFMM's 'X-treme' ride park. What's the new motto now?....GO BIG!!

I'm already making plans to change plane tickets for OKC to land in Dallas first and go to Six Flags Over Texas, can't wait to ride the Texas Giant I'm new to riding coasters and not picky at all, in fact I think Scream is a great ride and rode it the most on my last trip, so I'm open to going to any parks, Cedar Point included. What other parks, that you all have visited, are a must visit when it comes to coasters in the US?

I would have to say Kingda Ka at six flags great adventure in new jersey, or its brother top thrill dragster at cedar point, are up there, amazing experiences... well I cant speak about TTD personally, but it is almost identical so... I really really want to get out to Cedar Point someday soon, though realistically it would probably be a year or so away...

Want to talk about the flash pass...

I'm an impatient bastard and usually avoid the park April-Aug. Lines piss me off. I've never paid attention to the flash pass because it doesn't apply to me (always feel bad for the poor SOBs scanning their passes on a dead Feb. weekend )

I have relatives coming from out of town in July and am looking into getting our group FP's. I have no problem paying an up charge for X2 but was DISGUSTED to find out it's "per ride"

REALLY!?!? Per ride?

X2 is a bad ass coaster but not worth a freakin 15 dollar surcharge .

Did i miss boat on bitching about this?

We'll have FP for our day at SFMM. We do that more out of necessity, because we want to ride almost all of the coasters, this at the beginning of august. As it is not that often that we visit the US. If we ride X2 we'll simply do the queue as everybody else. Same will probably count for GL. I read the description of the Gold Passes that SFMM delivers, but am not that sure that I really understood how it works. Is it like an electronic Disney Fast-Pass? You "check-in" at a ride and wait until your time comes and than you have a time-window to get into the fast-pass-lane? Does it work well?

I have relatives coming from out of town in July and am looking into getting our group FP's. I have no problem paying an up charge for X2 but was DISGUSTED to find out it's "per ride"

REALLY!?!? Per ride?

X2 is a bad A$$ coaster but not worth a freakin 15 dollar surcharge .

Did i miss boat on bitching about this?

I don't see the need to b*tch about it. Pay the upcharge per ride, or wait in the main queue. Choice is yours.

If I were you, instead of wasting time complaining about it, I'd pay for the group to ride it & have a great time on it, and then proceed to use the Flash Pass to have a great time on as many other rides as possible. Then if your group really wants to ride again, get in line 2 minutes before park closing. The wait time will likely be minimal, and it'll all be bonus time for you & your group. Focus the energies on having the best time possible.

^ I believe that the reason they have the upcharge was because of the insane line X2 usually gets. I was surprised they did this, but I paid the upcharge and got a ride on it with no wait during Spring Break.

I'm not surprised they are doing this same style of upcharge for Dare Devil Dive at SFOG. The capacity of the ride simply does not allow for some many people to skip the line. The wait time would be astronomical. (although not as bad as the legendary 6 hour wait )

Hey everyone,

"Long time reader, first time poster" - said in cheesy voice.

I love this forum, especially the SFMM one as I live just a few miles away and my daughter and I go all the time. We were there just yesterday.

We were trying to get a look at DC Universe as much as we can, but besides the arch being painted grey and red (obvious first coats) and the wheel for Wonder Woman's Lasso was just passed the arch on pallets and was freshly painted blue, nothing much more than what's already been posted.

Green Lantern sure does stand out as you walk towards the area though.

Oh and the geese that have been having babies throughout the park were roaming around and a new batch, maybe a couple days old, were hanging out in their nest under a tree. Of course you had the stupid people and their kids trying to touch them. The adult geese were not having it though, they started spreading their wings and chasing people away from the chicks.

Sundays are as usual as great day to go. No lines really to get on anything. Goliath as many others were walk on.

Does anyone know if they are planning on changing the new Road Runner cars or just repainting them. They have the shoe design on them now and were not testing them yesterday but they were working on the area.

Anyway, thanks for all the great info you guys share on here, it's much appreciated.

- Freddie

Hello! I'm new like the guy ^just above me. Would you just please care to give an answer to my question, that would be highly appreciated, 'cause we are not locals and all

We'll have FP for our day at SFMM. We do that more out of necessity, because we want to ride almost all of the coasters, this at the beginning of august. As it is not that often that we visit the US. If we ride X2 we'll simply do the queue as everybody else. Same will probably count for GL. I read the description of the Gold Passes that SFMM delivers, but am not that sure that I really understood how it works. Is it like an electronic Disney Fast-Pass? You "check-in" at a ride and wait until your time comes and than you have a time-window to get into the fast-pass-lane? Does it work well?

Hello! I'm new like the guy ^just above me. Would you just please care to give an answer to my question, that would be highly appreciated, 'cause we are not locals and all

I've never used either of the FPs, never needed to as I am fortunate to go when I want to and I know it's slow.

The way I heard it works and from asking people in line is that the regualr one allows you to queue up basically. You have a certain amount of time before you can go to the FP line, so you have to go do other things till then. While the GFP allows you to jump from ride to ride without a wait time really. You can always call up their customer service to get a complete breakdown of them though.

I've never used FlashPass at SFMM but have used it at SFDK, SFOT, SFOG and SFGAdv.

This is how it's "supposed" to work.

Regular FlashPass, you select the ride you want to ride and the "wait time" is supposed to be the current length of the stand-by line.

Gold FlashPass, the wait time is supposed to be 1/2 of the current length of the stand-by line. (In my experience, it's shorter than this about 90% of the time)

Platinum Flashpass, I'm not exactly sure on this one, I've never used it. Is it "instant" and you get two rides?

We're coming to California in a weeks time, and we're planning to go to SFMM on Wednesday 8th June. What are the crowds likely to be like that day? Busy? Quiet? I'm thinking Gold FP's will be worth it, but I don't want to buy them if they really aren't needed. A few years ago we went to Six Flags America in Maryland, and bought FP's thinking it would be busy - in the end, all but Superman:ROS had less than 15 minute waits all day. I don't want to spend $115 on FP's for the two of us to find we could have done everything with time to spare anyway!