TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm betting you can't wait to ride Green Lantern, am I right?

You better believe it! Before I even started riding some of the other rides I watched the POV of insane and knew I'd want to ride it.

Thanks for everyone's nice comments, definitely enjoying the rides now

Had another great day the park. Got to the front gate about 10 minutes before opening, got in the discover line and was nearly past revolution when I heard the front gates open, that's so cool getting in early. I made a mistake though and went straight to Tatsu, forgetting I wouldn't be there late enough to get a walkon on X2, oh well, will ride it next time. After the getting the first train on Tatsu in the back row, hit up Apoc for 2 rides, then went up to Ninja, down to Riddlers and over to Scream for 2 rides. Then did Colossus which was my first time, road the front and back, lots of fun. Then to swashbuckler for some old memories and then finally on Goliath which was another first run for me. Sat in the first row and couldn't wipe the smile off my face after the ride. That first drop is great (I guess I like drops now After Goliath I was trying to decide whether to stay longer or go get lunch, ended up over at Viper for another first run, sat in the magic row, and enjoyed the ride. Headed back up the hill to Tatsu, but the line was about 45 minutes, so passed on that and went up the sky tower to relax. Went over to Scream for a final ride, this time in the very back. Also stopped at the bumper cars for a little fun. Attempted to ride Goliath again, but it was getting late and the line was long. It looked like the crowds got much bigger as the day went on, likely that the AAA people were probably coming in before the party.

So 10:30 - 4 got in:

Tatsu

Apoc x 2

Ninja

Riddlers

Scream x 3

Colossus x 2

Viper

Goliath

Swashbuckler

Bumper Cars

Sky Tower

The only rides I have left to do now are Deja Vu and Superman, the rest of the park I've conquered Speaking of Superman, today I watched one launch and it didn't stop until a 3rd of the way into the breaks, was the highest I've seen. There were a few that fell short of the brakes, but most were right up there. Now to work up the courage to ride it.

I've got the coaster bug so bad that I was looking into the travel from OKC to Dallas for a chance to go to Six Flags over Texas when I'm out in OKC in July

Here's some pics from the day. Green Lantern is looking great and they are putting in the structure for the new kid coaster.

IMAG0587.jpg.401432d8db383d7c233816d983d7c94a.jpg

Pays to Discover...

IMAG0588.thumb.jpg.6a32522c9203f570e78083c6311e8e89.jpg

Got the first train out

IMAG0589.jpg.59f962548d09ec2817b5493d1b3ecc26.jpg

Apoc is so quick, walkon and a re-ride

IMAG0592.jpg.b49694e965259a7ddf23311d97be8da3.jpg

Green Lantern taking form

IMAG0595.jpg.f7d50119eb81926387c96ed700e751b6.jpg

So many inversions on Riddler

IMAG0602.jpg.4c4688130960d6c07265d5b1cd5d032b.jpg

Wished I had rode Colossus back in the day

IMAG0603.jpg.cd312a155437497597f29e344642bb88.jpg

Kid Coaster staging area taking shape

IMAG0604.jpg.550be463dee54060b8413d1970e41350.jpg

A childhood classic

IMAG0605.jpg.e3f7bc0cdc630156a1fc9297b90f0440.jpg

Highlight of my day, what an excellent ride

IMAG0606.jpg.54a3d05f57400d7d103202ba7f53bb32.jpg

GL sure stands out

IMAG0608.jpg.e6ff5068cefaa4c7a182131753b4e5c6.jpg

X2 is massive when viewed from above

IMAG0609.jpg.80bbc80e5ecce386d339b688aa1e4469.jpg

Tatsu, nothing better then flying

IMAG0610.jpg.32cf040f7a825cd0f0bdd2053e3aa7b8.jpg

Beautiful day

IMAG0611.jpg.05216f2b6fdd185da29ffc525b0e2d0b.jpg

I had forgotten how intense Ninja is

IMAG0612.jpg.d39d5abeacd1a4078f06b962fcec8ac8.jpg

So quick...

IMAG0613.jpg.17a24e2e76dd00d4eeedfcaccf11a603.jpg

Time for a joy ride

Edited by takedown

^The funniest part about that article is just how absurd the whole thing is and how it really doesn't work in this area of the country. 7 people per bus!?!? Millions in deficits!??! Yet they HAVE to do more routes?!?! Oh the amazingness of LA Public Transport.

The route doing 7 per bus is getting dropped (the Irvine line) - they HAVE to do more routes, because of a court order. Most of the Flyaway business so far has been from the Van Nuys and Union Station routes.

I'm betting you can't wait to ride Green Lantern, am I right?

You better believe it! Before I even started riding some of the other rides I watched the POV of insane and knew I'd want to ride it.

Thanks for everyone's nice comments, definitely enjoying the rides now

I feel the same way. I hope I can get down there this summer to try it.

So now that you enjoy the rides at Magic Mountain, are you planning on visiting Cedar Point to tackle some coasters that are even taller and faster?

Oh yeah, you definitely have the coaster bug now!

^^ Green Lantern seems to fit into that little corner quite nicely! Track looks great! That whole area should come together with this addition.

Did anyone go to the AAA night tonight? A couple of my friends are there now and they said that there wasn't much waiting involved at all.

^^ They must have attended a different AAA night than I did.

Goliath, Apocalypse, Deja Vu, Superman, Tatsu and X2 were ALL over an hour wait (Tatsu and X2 looked to be about 2 hours). Colossus and Ninja were about 30 minutes. (yet when we rode during "normal" park hours they were both walk-ons)

Definitely wasn't worth the extra $25 (well $50 for me and my son) especially considering how dead it is during the week right now. Honestly, it was the busiest I've seen the park in a LONG time (even during the day on WCB was less busy IMO).

Did see Road Runner Express testing and Green Lantern looks good. I didn't realize how "pea green" the track looked when it was on the ground, but you can see the color more now that it's up.

So now that you enjoy the rides at Magic Mountain, are you planning on visiting Cedar Point to tackle some coasters that are even taller and faster?

At some point next year I think a Cedar Point visit is in order. I pulled up their site last night, holy coasters batman.

At some point next year I think a Cedar Point visit is in order. I pulled up their site last night, holy coasters batman.

Magic Mountain is better by far! If you've not been to C.P. then by all means go, but have low expectations... Take it from someone that is from the area, and enjoyed the park in it's prime. Now it really bad from upkeep, ride-op attitudes, condition of the rides.

^That's all opinion though. To me, compared to Magic Mountain, Cedar Point is A LOT better, and my first trip there was last year. From ride selection to general atmosphere, I think Cedar Point has SFMM beat.

I'm hoping to get out and check out Green Lantern soon. It's looks like it could be up there as one of the best coasters in the park.

I couldn't agree more. As much as I love SFMM, CP just seems to have everything down pat. My first trip there last year was just amazing. So unless we're talking the recent opening day failure, CP is the clear winner.

Hey everyone! So, I have recently moved to SoCal from Florida (Of course I move when Fantasyland and HP are expanding ) and I'm visiting SFMM next week for the FIRST TIMEEE!!! I'm usually insanely prepared for theme park trips; I practically study the map and make a plan of attack, but I just can't figure out SFMM. What's the best way to tackle this park? Should I go clock-wise? Counter-clockwise? Should I hit X2 or Tatsu or Goliath first? I need some help yall.

^ Definitely hit X2 then Tatsu, then Apocalypse and Deja Vu and finish clockwise. I find that to be the easiest way to get the big coasters done before lines get too big. After Riddler's, I go to Superman then Goliath, and then go around and get all the other coasters. Most of which won't have long lines. But I would start at X2 first.

Starting at X2 could be the best or worst decision of your life. If you get there at opening just a second too late, you could be waiting upwards of an hour. Keep in mind you'll be traveling with the crowd all the way around the park.

It always has the morning rush like all of the rides around there (including Viper and Revolution). I'm a huge advocate (haha) of taking the counter-clockwise approach because it guarantees a near walk on for Goliath, Colossus, Scream, and Batman (Batman is closed until Green Lantern opens). Riddler's would be around ten minutes max, and Gold Rusher a walk on. By the time you can get to Revolution, Ninja, and Viper the crowds would have died out at those rides. X2 and Tatsu won't be as busy as they usually are in the morning. That's my usual approach.

LOL!

I been trying to wait to go back to SFMM til Green Lantern opens, but I think I might need to take a trip out there next week for a coaster fix. Although, I'm doing Knott's, Disneyland and Sea World next week too, hope I have the energy.

Hey everyone! So, I have recently moved to SoCal from Florida (Of course I move when Fantasyland and HP are expanding ) and I'm visiting SFMM next week for the FIRST TIMEEE!!! I'm usually insanely prepared for theme park trips; I practically study the map and make a plan of attack, but I just can't figure out SFMM. What's the best way to tackle this park? Should I go clock-wise? Counter-clockwise? Should I hit X2 or Tatsu or Goliath first? I need some help yall.

Get there at least 1/2 hour early, and head directly to X2. After that, head to Tatsu, and do the park clockwise.

HOWEVER, should you get there too late, and the X2 line is over 1 hour (sometimes it can reach up to 2 hours) head for Tatsu, and do the same thing, just come back to X2 later.

PLUS should you get to the park REALLY LATE (1 hour+) go counterclockwise, hitting up Goliath first and X2 last. However, should you stay until night, you can usually get on any ride in >30 min, even on moderatly crowded days.

What are unaceptable wait times for coasters at the park?

For me, personally, anything over 45 mins is unacceptable for any coaster at that park...but, realisitcally, anything over 1.5 hours is unacceptable, shoot, during the summer, anything over 20 mins is unacceptable!

It will be interesting to see how much the crowd splits in the morning, once Green Lantern opens. I hope they have something cool planned for next year to split the crowds even further.

Next year is the year of the 500 foot coaster! Its gotta happen sooner or later, might as well be sooner!

It will be interesting to see how much the crowd splits in the morning, once Green Lantern opens. I hope they have something cool planned for next year to split the crowds even further.

The only time I've ever seen the crowds truly split and the majority of it not go to X2 is when Tatsu opened. I'm doubting this will happen at the magnitude it did then, but I'm sure a lot will head to GL.