TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm sure if Six Flags is wiling to come up with the cash it can be done, they've already got two towers up on the mountain one that's been standing since the 70's. I'm sure with today's engineering building a drop ride up there wouldn't be that challenging.

The mttns on the west side of the park are part of a faultline, just like the mttns to the north that seperate the SCV from the Leona Valley and the Antelope Valley further north. its the same faultline that runs under the oil and tar fields just to the south in the attonivich open space preserve and are why the 118 santa susana pass from the San Fernando valley to simi valley has such pretty rock formations. There are 2 towers for sure, the skytower located more in the center of the hill and superman on a very flat portion at the foot of the hill. to build on the SIDE of the hill a 300 foot drop tower like that would require some good engineering. Especially when theres so much land on the bottom they could more easily use. But who knows, ive seen stranger things.

You mean like all those drop towers, coasters, bridges, insane buildings and other insanity that exists in Japan, an even more active seismic area? It's like I always say, and parks ALWAYS agree with me...if they wanted to build something, they'll figure out a way....

The mttns on the west side of the park are part of a faultline, just like the mttns to the north that seperate the SCV from the Leona Valley and the Antelope Valley further north. its the same faultline that runs under the oil and tar fields just to the south in the attonivich open space preserve and are why the 118 santa susana pass from the San Fernando valley to simi valley has such pretty rock formations. There are 2 towers for sure, the skytower located more in the center of the hill and superman on a very flat portion at the foot of the hill. to build on the SIDE of the hill a 300 foot drop tower like that would require some good engineering. Especially when theres so much land on the bottom they could more easily use. But who knows, ive seen stranger things.

You mean like all those drop towers, coasters, bridges, insane buildings and other insanity that exists in Japan, an even more active seismic area? It's like I always say, and parks ALWAYS agree with me...if they wanted to build something, they'll figure out a way....

And i fully agree with you, i just think from six flags perspective of skimp when you can they would end up putting a tower where freefall was. If they ever build a good drop tower at SFMM

Plus, Steel rides fair pretty well in earthquakes because they flex a lot. I would imagine a big vertical pole would sway a lot in a quake and come out of it with no, or next to no issues. That wouldn't be a very tough ride to place, and like Robb said, if they want to do it... they will find a way and do it.

Last I checked, the Sky Tower survived the Northride Earthquake pretty well. Some nearby freeway overpasses...not so much.

Just about the last part of SFMM I'd worry about in a major quake are the giant steel behemoths that are made to rock & roll.

Last I checked, the Sky Tower survived the Northride Earthquake pretty well. Some nearby freeway overpasses...not so much.

Just about the last part of SFMM I'd worry about in a major quake are the giant steel behemoths that are made to rock & roll.

Wasn't Apocalypse also particularly designed to withstand earthquakes better? The wood is very thick in the support structure.

I'm sure if Six Flags is wiling to come up with the cash it can be done, they've already got two towers up on the mountain one that's been standing since the 70's. I'm sure with today's engineering building a drop ride up there wouldn't be that challenging.

That's a good idea. Just like the rides on top of the Vegas Stratosphere.

I wouldnt count those rides being as structurally sound as they should be....1) they are afterthoughts to that building, 2) that building has PROVEN structural deficiencies...no, its not going to fall...as long as we never have sustained winds of over 82 mph....and thats a fact

that building has PROVEN structural deficiencies...no, its not going to fall...as long as we never have sustained winds of over 82 mph....and thats a fact

If you're talking about Sky Tower, for some reason I believe this. Key word: sustained. Now for earthquakes, I wonder if it could withstand Japan-like shaking. That would be CRAZY to be up there!

As for the coasters, just look at SFNO after Katrina, and that will tell you all you need to know about the structural integrity of the coasters surviving the worst of mother nature. A big reason is the entire ride is like 1 big spine that distributes it's weight evenly throughout a foundation of deep rooted supports. Also, rides like Tatsu have such a wide foot print that it all leans on each other, so even if a support busted in half, the ride would still stand because it could lean on and depend on the rest of the structure surrounding it to hold it up. Of course it wouldn't be safe to operate a train, but no doubt it would still be standing.

A lack of flats has been a reoccurring theme on this Thread, and I just wanted to put out some of my ides of what SFMM can do to solve this problem. These are just dreams of what could possibly be done wit the availiable space. I think if these flats are marketed well, they could bring in just as many guests as a new roller coaster, except they're cheaper and take up less space.

Funny that you suggest a ride similar to Knott's Wipeout for SFMM's Baja Ridge area. The mountain already had an older version Chance Trabant called Circus Wheel.

Bringing back something like that would help the attraction count, but I don't think a single attraction like that could be marketable for the SoCal market. Perhaps a collection of flats?

But then to play devil's advocate... SFGAdv tried that with its "War on Lines" Campaign. Unfortunately ,that didnt work out and most of those rides are now gone. Then there's the issue of staffing. We already know that SFMM seems to have the hardest time amongst all the LA area parks keeping staffing at appropriate levels.

There's gotta be a way they can get something else going that isnt a roller coaster that still pencils out. The economy is looking up a bit. For me it's not a matter of cutting down lines from other rides, but rather just having something else to mix into your day. The return of summer shows, IMO, has helped that somewhat but there's more that can be done.

Honestly, I actually give the park credit for keeping the Round-Up and the Musik Express and not just removing them. A few years ago, they would have most likely not made the transition to DC Universe.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that they can easily be changed over to DC Universe characters.

SFMM lies at the bottom of the freaking grapevine and you guys are honestly worried about its Sky Tower surviving sustained winds? You know all those wind advisories you hear on TV for passes & canyons? Guess where SFMM is? At the bottom of a pass/canyon!!! And the Sky Tower has stood for the last 40 years just fine. It's amazing to me how people think SFMM is some death trap when it's actually one of the safer places you could be in a disaster.

I'd sure prefer to be in a wide open area in a theme park than on a freeway interchange that collapses!

SFMM lies at the bottom of the freaking grapevine and you guys are honestly worried about its Sky Tower surviving sustained winds? You know all those wind advisories you hear on TV for passes & canyons? Guess where SFMM is? At the bottom of a pass/canyon!!! And the Sky Tower has stood for the last 40 years just fine. It's amazing to me how people think SFMM is some death trap when it's actually one of the safer places you could be in a disaster.

I'd sure prefer to be in a wide open area in a theme park than on a freeway interchange that collapses!

Don't know if this is still the case or not, but the park actually had a question on their leads test that asked "what would you do if you were the lead at log jammer and Sky Tower fell onto the ride?"

I always thought that was funny.

Don't know if this is still the case or not, but the park actually had a question on their leads test that asked "what would you do if you were the lead at log jammer and Sky Tower fell onto the ride?"

I always thought that was funny.

Shart myself and run like hell!!!!!!!