TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Diamondback had waits of over 7 hours; For a B&M Hyper with great capacity.

Diamondback has never had anything close to a 7 hour wait. The longest was around 3-3.5 hours on opening day, stretching all the way around Diamondback to The Crypt.

(Not my video)

Umm, no.

That line in the video looks like it could easily be 4 to 5 hours or more. Wow, imagine that in the hot sun, bored to death, then finally getting on the ride only to be so burned out you don't really enjoy it that much.

Just out of curiosity, what was in this building before it closed? I looked online and found it to be called "Pagoda Bar". Is that correct, and if so, what did they serve and when did it close? Anybody no why?

I believe that used to be a snack stand back when Ninja was in its hayday, as there was a lot of traffic up there when Ninja opened and it was pretty busy on the mountain. I'm not sure, but I think it also sold Ninja gifts, as I have an old plastic Ninja mug from opening year that I'm pretty sure my mom purchased for me while I was riding.

The Laughing Dragon used to be the Four Seasons, I know that for sure.

And under the food location is the Magic Pagoda walkthrough, which is now used as a Fight Fest maze.

"Its a space age technological marvel"....lol

So is that the original color of the Sky Tower?

I was going to ask if they ever used the lower level up there but it looks like there is no glass in the windows. Or did they and instead of glass it was open with some kind of screens? Or, was that level built into to it with the intention of using it but they never did?

I was going to ask if they ever used the lower level up there but it looks like there is no glass in the windows. Or did they and instead of glass it was open with some kind of screens? Or, was that level built into to it with the intention of using it but they never did?

Oh, no, the bottom level used to be open all the time. You would take the stairs from the upper deck to the lower deck. It was open air and while there were bars so you couldn't climb out, it wasn't enclosed like the upper deck....which was the problem...idiot people used to throw stuff out of there, and that was the main reason why it was closed.

Yup, stupid people are to blame...

Diamondback had waits of over 7 hours; For a B&M Hyper with great capacity.

Diamondback has never had anything close to a 7 hour wait. The longest was around 3-3.5 hours on opening day, stretching all the way around Diamondback to The Crypt.

Umm, no.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but Diamondback NEVER had a 7 hour wait. A better answer than "Umm, no" might be appropriate here.

Oh, no, the bottom level used to be open all the time. You would take the stairs from the upper deck to the lower deck. It was open air and while there were bars so you couldn't climb out, it wasn't enclosed like the upper deck....which was the problem...idiot people used to throw stuff out of there, and that was the main reason why it was closed.

Yup, stupid people are to blame...

Interesting little note about the Skytower is also that it was first build to be a Playboy Club (in Chicago if I am not mistaken)

Went the the park for a bit this morning ... it's official Green Lantern opens in June now.

GL.jpg.52f4347b3816864e3f6c88cc336fdc9d.jpg

Green Lantern opening in June and the DC Universe sign is getting painted.

1074903531_Roundup.jpg.0e3d08cf8c05d4391cf61c15060db7ca.jpg

The Round Up is getting a full rehab as it's currently sitting in the middle of the walkway, just on the other side of the Construction wall.

Just out of curiosity, what was in this building before it closed? I looked online and found it to be called "Pagoda Bar". Is that correct, and if so, what did they serve and when did it close? Anybody no why?

The things I remember most about the Magic Pagoda were the mirror maze, the accompanying "funny" mirrors, and strobe light rooms. There were also passages of statues along some of the walls. I only did it a couple of times.

JJ

Is it possible for somebody who visits SFMM on a frequent basis to get some good shots of Green Lantern Construction on Tidal Wave going up the lift, or perhaps stand on that bridge, and get some shots there? Great pictures so far. That's weird how they moved the Grinder Gearworks Spinner to the walkway for renovations and repair..a crane obviously. I am excited to see what changes they will execute in this area come June, renaming it DC Universe. This area will eventually be one of the crowded areas once Green Lantern opens.

As Joey said, the only park-approved way to get Green Lantern construction pics now is from the Sky Tower.

As for the Round-Up being moved to the walkway, if they are installing a new drive motor, etc ... it's gotta be the easiest way to do it. Plus I'm sure it's going to be getting a new paint job as well with the name change.

I may be wrong, but that ride goes back pretty far, I think early/mid 70's, and it's been awhile since it's received a complete overhaul.

I believe that used to be a snack stand back when Ninja was in its hayday, as there was a lot of traffic up there when Ninja opened and it was pretty busy on the mountain. I'm not sure, but I think it also sold Ninja gifts, as I have an old plastic Ninja mug from opening year that I'm pretty sure my mom purchased for me while I was riding.

The Laughing Dragon used to be the Four Seasons, I know that for sure.

And under the food location is the Magic Pagoda walkthrough, which is now used as a Fight Fest maze.

Thanks Robb and others for helping me understand what the building was! And, I never knew a Fright Fest maze was UNDER that restaurant! How/where do you enter?

~Nicholas

When it comes to the top of the mtn, they have to be very careful thanks to sisemeic issues, making tall drop towers on the mouantian very epensive. While i agree it would be an epic ride, it would take ALOT of engineering.

I'm not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou. There is a large tower and two roller coasters already situated on the hill. I would imagine that small hill (relative to the rest of the region) having very little influence in a seismic profile of the area. Then again, I am not an expert!

As Joey said, the only park-approved way to get Green Lantern construction pics now is from the Sky Tower.

As for the Round-Up being moved to the walkway, if they are installing a new drive motor, etc ... it's gotta be the easiest way to do it. Plus I'm sure it's going to be getting a new paint job as well with the name change.

I may be wrong, but that ride goes back pretty far, I think early/mid 70's, and it's been awhile since it's received a complete overhaul.

It looks like that whole area is getting an overhaul. A much needed one at that. I think that entire area will now come together nicely (once its finished).

The round up was an original attraction at the mountain. I don't think it has ever been changed since the day it opened besides color scheme and theme.

^ I remember it being more "rainbow" when it was called Electric Rainbow (fitting). Not sure what the color theme was when it was called Turbo. Anybody remember?

Is it possible the ride hasn't been painted since being Gordon Gearworks in 1994?

It hasn't been touched since they remodeled it into Gotham City in 1994. I know that for sure, besides of course tune ups and maintenance. I'm glad its getting attention now because it looked quite dilapidated.

When it comes to the top of the mtn, they have to be very careful thanks to sisemeic issues, making tall drop towers on the mouantian very epensive. While i agree it would be an epic ride, it would take ALOT of engineering.

I'm not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou. There is a large tower and two roller coasters already situated on the hill. I would imagine that small hill (relative to the rest of the region) having very little influence in a seismic profile of the area. Then again, I am not an expert!

The mttns on the west side of the park are part of a faultline, just like the mttns to the north that seperate the SCV from the Leona Valley and the Antelope Valley further north. its the same faultline that runs under the oil and tar fields just to the south in the attonivich open space preserve and are why the 118 santa susana pass from the San Fernando valley to simi valley has such pretty rock formations. There are 2 towers for sure, the skytower located more in the center of the hill and superman on a very flat portion at the foot of the hill. to build on the SIDE of the hill a 300 foot drop tower like that would require some good engineering. Especially when theres so much land on the bottom they could more easily use. But who knows, ive seen stranger things.