TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Log Flume

American Plunge was great until 2001. It had theming, animatronics that worked, and a tunnel with illuminated shadowboxes. The theme was awesome throughout, based on the leisure time afforded by the newly implemented 60 hour work week. Americans were left with lots of time to do whatever they wanted, and the leisure and entertainment industries didn't yet exist. So they sat on flagpoles for days, went over waterfalls in barrels, jumped between logs to cross rivers. You know, stuff that's better than being at work. Then sports, zoos, movie palaces, and amusement parks popped up, and people had legitimate options. American Plunge is the story of that primitive and crazy time before modern entertainment.

When Wildfire was built in 2001, American Plunge was drastically shortened, with most of the ride now being in a straight, unadorned concrete tunnel. It's now a pretty basic log flume.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any log flume not built around a faux mountain or on a real mountain sucks.

Splash Mountain is a rip-off of Timber Mountain at Knott's therefore TM is automatically better. SM may be better themed but TM is a better flume ride.

Log Jammer at SFMM was awesome. Jet Stream at the same park sucks. They removed the wrong flume.

I have a 4 way tie.

1.splash mountain

2.Duddly do rights

3.Timber mountain

4.Pirates of the Caribbean(Disneylands version)

I might be wrong but I believe Pirates is technically a shoot the chute, not a log flume.

White Water Landing at Cedar Point will always be one of my historical favorites. I miss the ride, but I'm not at all disappointed by what took its place.

You all need to realize that there is a difference between log flumes and shoot-the-chutes.

I agree with that last statement as Pirates and Splash Mountain (in Florida) are not Log Flumes in any way, shape or form. I think you're confusing rides though. White Water Landing at Dorney is a chute the chutes, Snake River Falls at Cedar Point is a chute the chutes but White Water Landing was a log flume, and a very good one at that.

I still miss that ride.

My favourite log flume that I've been on is Thunder Creek Mountain at Dorney Park. It's a great log flume with some nice features and a wonderful drop! I was glad I had rode it last summer during my first visit to the park!

Any log flume not built around a faux mountain or on a real mountain sucks.

Splash Mountain is a rip-off of Timber Mountain at Knott's therefore TM is automatically better. SM may be better themed but TM is a better flume ride.

Log Jammer at SFMM was awesome. Jet Stream at the same park sucks. They removed the wrong flume.

I have a 4 way tie.

1.splash mountain

2.Duddly do rights

3.Timber mountain

4.Pirates of the Caribbean(Disneylands version)

I might be wrong but I believe Pirates is technically a shoot the chute, not a log flume.

White Water Landing at Cedar Point will always be one of my historical favorites. I miss the ride, but I'm not at all disappointed by what took its place.

You all need to realize that there is a difference between log flumes and shoot-the-chutes.

Not sure about what the technical term for the type of water ride pirates is, but wwl was definitely a log flume.

Because they're huge boats that hold eight people. It's much more similar to a large splash boat ride like Tidal Wave at BGT, Escape from Pompeii or White Water Landing at Dorney.

Log Flumes generally have one row of riders sitting in a line in much smaller boats. They have a much different feel than a ride like Splash Mountain in Florida.

Just because the boat looks like a log doesn't make it a log flume.

I think you're confusing rides though. White Water Landing at Dorney is a shoot the chutes, but there used to be a log flume at Cedar Point also called White Water Landing, and a very good one at that. It was demolished in 2005 to make way for Maverick.

I still miss that ride.

Oh.

Splash Mountain (in Florida) is not a Log Flume in any way, shape or form because they're huge boats that hold eight people. It's much more similar to a large splash boat ride like Tidal Wave at BGT, Escape from Pompeii or White Water Landing at Dorney.

Log Flumes generally have one row of riders sitting in a line in much smaller boats. They have a much different feel than a ride like Splash Mountain in Florida.

Just because the boat looks like a log doesn't make it a log flume.

The SM boats at WDW look nothing like Tidal Wave or Pompeii. Those boats seat 16 to 20 people four-5 abreast. SM at WDW only seats 8 two breast. SM disneyland seat 6-7 inline. BTW a log flume can have side by side seating, but no more than two abreast.

^^ I disagree but it also doesn't really matter. You can call it a Log Flume if you'd like but I don't agree because in that case Pilgrim's Plunge and Shoot the Rapids would have been Log Flumes which I would also entirely disagree with.

^^ I disagree but it also doesn't really matter. You can call it a Log Flume if you'd like but I don't agree because in that case Pilgrim's Plunge and Shoot the Rapids would have been Log Flumes which I would also entirely disagree with.

One, I never said that having side by side seat makes it a log ride. I said that it can have them and still be a log flume.

Two, no offense, but our opinions don't matter. Every amusement ride classification guide on Earth considers Splash Mountain AND Shoot the Rapids to be log flumes, and PP is clearly a shoot the chute.

I never claimed our opinions mattered. Actually I flat out said that they DON'T matter. None of this matters but...

Every amusement ride classification guide on Earth considers Splash Mountain AND Shoot the Rapids to be log flumes

Where? What "classification guide", where?

Intamin doesn't even call it a flume in their own website. They market a flume... it's the ride with single file seating. You know the log flume. They call Shoot the Rapids and Pilgrim's Plunge "Hyper Splashes" I guess because "hyper splash" has a better ring to it than "unreliable boat ride that doesn't float".

Anyway by this classification my favorite Log Flume is Top Thrill Dragster. Much like with Shoot the Rapids the ride vehicles are 2 across and they can't float for sh*t and like Shoot the Rapids it operates better if you don't load the back row and it often rolls down the largest hill backwards when it's just about made it to the top.

... somebody's actually going to take this post seriously. I can't wait.

Edited by coasterbill

I honestly had a thing for CP's old Mill Race. When I was too much of a pu$$y to hit the big coasters when I was a kid, I reveled in the flumes. I miss WWL too but I'll take it's "replacement" any day over Mill Race's. The last flume I rode was at Waldameer, and it was great, but not enough to win over nostalgia in my addled brain.

Me trying to name my favorite Log Flume ride is like trying to name what my favorite coaster is. I rode a lot of flume rides, but because I live in Virginia, my two favorite log flume rides has to be Shenandoah Log Company at Kings Dominion ( I must have rode that ride a thousand times) and the Le Scoot at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

On the topic of Le Scoot, I have to give Busch Gardens three cheers ( ) for renovating their log flume rather than removing it. This 41-year-old Arrow Log Flume ride has been at the park since day one ( along with their three-station Skyway ride, their train, and their Rhine River Boat tour) and it would be a plain shame to see that ride go since it is a very popular family ride. As for Shenandoah Log Company, when they brought back the water wheel in 2014 I was super excited (just like when they brought back the red, white, and blue colors to the Rebel Yell)!

In short, I don't think I ever rode a log flume ride that I end up hating - and I hope I never do.