TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point or Islands of Adventure?

Hey folks. Trying to make this the year I expand my horizon in coasters from just the Virginia parks. Had my first trip to SFA about a month ago. I already plan to go to SFoG at the end of this month and I want to try to get up to Hersheypark as well. The problem is that all my friends are broke so theme park trips are difficult. Even more difficult is that I don't have a license right now (don't drink and drive, kids). However, my friend won a plane ticket to anywhere in the continental US. I said I'd go with him and we narrowed it down to Universal Studios Florida and Cedar Point. I think we should do Universal Studios Florida because it has a reputation for being one of the best theme parks in the US and it might be better to do Cedar Point next summer when I can drive (plus they'll have a new attraction up). He's concerned that Universal doesn't provide enough roller coaster attractions. Obviously, we're both roller coaster dweebs. Another idea I had was that in addition to Universal, we could take a trip down to Busch Gardens Tampa to make up for this.

What do you guys think? I'm open to suggestions or even alternative destination parks.

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to both parks and have to say that given the choice, I'd take the Universal/Busch trip.

While Cedar Point has awesome roller coasters and some great flat rides (just recently!), IOA and US have the awesome theming combined with a few great B&Ms and arguably one of the best dark rides, Spiderman. Mummy at USF is also extremely well done, plus they have some o fmy favs like T23D, MIB, etc. Not to mention that if you go to BGT you have 3 more excellent B&Ms, plus animals, free beer. I reccomend you go in Ocotber to hit HowlOScream and Horror Nights.

As of right now, it looks like neither park will likely get a new major ride next year, so now's a good time to hit Florida, whereas next year Cedar Point will have the new Intamin going. (hopefully)

Thats a HARD question, since they are almost opposites, cedar point has a bunch of awesome coasters and lots of thrills with close to no theming, while on the other hand IOA has a bunch of theming while still having plenty of thrills. Even though some people call me a CP fan boy, I say goto IOA I went there in 03 and imo it was much more enjoyable than Cedar Point.

So, goto IOA!

So you're deciding on whether or not to fly to Orlando, FL or Sandusky, OH? Well, I would go for Orlando and go to more than just Islands of Adventure. Plus I truely feel the Orlando parks are far more unique where as Cedar Point is comparable (but a little better) to many Six Flags Parks and Cedar Fair parks all over the country.

If you have never been to any of the Orlando parks than it's a must you go there.

Definately go to Universal/BGT...with both combined you get more coasters than Ceder Point...CP is getting the new ride, so just wait and go when it opens...and Universal is just so well themed and has awesome rides that that it should be a must on everyones list.

Yeah--I'm leaning towards the Universal/Busch trip. I used to go to college in St. Augustine and I went to Universal Studios in '96. My parents and I had a lot of fun (I think I remember all of the construction for IoA). I'm still kicking myself for not going on the college-sponsored trip to Busch Gardens. I'm going to push for the Orlando/Tampa trip. Thanks for the help.

Definitely Universal/BGT. I've been to both IOA and CP, and I enjoy going to IOA far more. Its more of a "fun" park that doesn't really emphasize so much on intense thrill, but rather having a good time. Plus, you can actually eat green eggs and ham at IOA. That was the highlight of my 2004 trip.

Is it worth it to try to ride Kraken or Rock 'N' Roller Coaster? My plan would be (so I miss a minimal of work) to try to arrive in Orlando Thursday night, do IoA Friday, Universal, Saturday, bus trip to Tampa Sat night, do Busch Gardens Sunday, fly back home either Sunday night or Monday morning. Another idea I had would be to try to do Sea World and MGM on Sunday and do Busch Gardens on Monday (fly back that night).

Kraken and RNRC are both in my top 10 of 225 or so coasters I've been on so I've have to say yes. I haven't been on Everest yet, but if I was in the are I'd be sure to check that out!

I forget if IOA/Uni has a one day hopper. I know everytime I go I'm able to do both parks in one day.(I just forget what kind of ticket I bought!) This would leave you time to check out all the Disney Parks within 2 days.

Just an idea...

My fiance and I went to US/IOA during Spring Break '05 then we went to Cedar Point in August '05....

We're going back to Cedar Point in less than a month. If you like coasters, then you'll have a lot more fun at Cedar Point. It all depends on your tastes, but I could care less about theming, as theming doesn't make the ride. You can have all the theming in the world and the ride ends up being awful. Dr. Dooms Fear Fall comes to mind. Power Tower is a much better ride, with pretty much no theming at all.

Dueling Dragons was nice, we loved Spiderman, and the Hulk was a great ride, but in Ohio, you can hit up Geauga Lake as well as Cedar Point, as they are in close driving distance of each other for the ultimate coaster experience.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying IOA isn't worth the trip, I just think that Cedar Point is more bang for the buck. Those tickets aren't cheap in Florida. We paid $150ish for tickets for 2 1 day park hoppers, which Cedar Point tickets at the time were $45 each.

Oh yea, and Cedar Point's food was better, BY FAR IMO.

My fiance and I went to US/IOA during Spring Break '05 then we went to Cedar Point in August '05....

We're going back to Cedar Point in less than a month. If you like coasters, then you'll have a lot more fun at Cedar Point. It all depends on your tastes, but I could care less about theming, as theming doesn't make the ride. You can have all the theming in the world and the ride ends up being awful. Dr. Dooms Fear Fall comes to mind. Power Tower is a much better ride, with pretty much no theming at all.

Dueling Dragons was nice, we loved Spiderman, and the Hulk was a great ride, but in Ohio, you can hit up Geauga Lake as well as Cedar Point, as they are in close driving distance of each other for the ultimate coaster experience.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying IOA isn't worth the trip, I just think that Cedar Point is more bang for the buck. Those tickets aren't cheap in Florida. We paid $150ish for tickets for 2 1 day park hoppers, which Cedar Point tickets at the time were $45 each.

Oh yea, and Cedar Point's food was better, BY FAR IMO.

I disagree about theming not making the ride, look at the Mummy, it's just an indoor coaster that stops a lot but add all of the theming and fire, etc. and it becomes so much more.

Also I've never been to Cedar Point, but IOA has some of the best food I've had anywhere.

Busch Gardens being on the Florida trip adds a lot of coasters as well, they now have 7 coasters (or 8 if you include the wild mouse).

I'll also vote for the Universal/Busch trip to Florida. Just keep in mind, its now hurricane season, so that may put a glitch in your plans unless you can wait until November or so.

Keep in mind, I believe there is still the SeaWorld/Busch shuttle between the two parks, so you could get away with not taking a bus if your friend can't drive either.

Save Cedar Point for when/if you get your license back, its not too terrible a drive from the Richmond area, especially if you stop at other parks along the way, like Kennywood and Geauga Lake.

Do the IOA and BGA instead way better than just cedar point why because Hey IOA rocks ride everything you can the shows are awsome the water rides are wet and hey its actually worth youre money and 2 for BGA um duh Shakira OOPS i mean Shiekra is like the highlight of all that shizz so go to FLORIDA!

Is it worth it to try to ride Kraken or Rock 'N' Roller Coaster? My plan would be (so I miss a minimal of work) to try to arrive in Orlando Thursday night, do IoA Friday, Universal, Saturday, bus trip to Tampa Sat night, do Busch Gardens Sunday, fly back home either Sunday night or Monday morning. Another idea I had would be to try to do Sea World and MGM on Sunday and do Busch Gardens on Monday (fly back that night).

ABSOLUTELY!

Both of those coasters are in my top ten!

Kraken scores higher than incredible hulk, and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster above dueling dragons.

YES!

But don't bother with everest unless you really want to.

I am an insane Disney fan, and even I didn't think it was as great as everyone said.

Keep in mind, I believe there is still the SeaWorld/Busch shuttle between the two parks, so you could get away with not taking a bus if your friend can't drive either.

Its a cool idea, its just to bad the shuttle back is so early. They also have a shuttle from IOA aswell, which is nice if your staying on site.

Also I do think Kraken is alone worth it for Sea World, Immel Man and I spent a day riding that thing and it never got boring. I would do it again if I could.

^ its probably because most people who go to sea world go there for shamoo rather than the rides. They will still probably add new rides in ther future, just not much.

For example Sea World Orlando is adding that kids area. The roller coaster looked like a pretty fun kids coaster to me and should be a good rides for those kids who aren't able to go on Journey to Atlantis or Kraken.

I can see them adding maybe one major roller coaster to Sea World San Diego and leaving it at that, but over all I think the reason why they don't regularily add new attractions is because there's no need. People come just to see a bunch of fish swim around. But I see Sea World San Diego adding in a parking structure before any thing new comes simply because the park is land lock by that bay thing and by parking lot, and the parking lot looks like its a little bigger then the actual park itself.

V as for shiekra being the best ride in FLorida, I beg to differ. It's fun no doub,t but I would take both Kraken and especially Kumba over it 5 days out of the 7. Although it is a very good ride and one of the best I have been on.

Do the IOA and BGA instead way better than just cedar point why because Hey IOA rocks ride everything you can the shows are awsome the water rides are wet and hey its actually worth youre money and 2 for BGA um duh Shakira OOPS i mean Shiekra is like the highlight of all that shizz so go to FLORIDA!

I agree, Sheikra is the best coaster here.

But I have been on everything here and I think that Cedar Point still may have a few rides that may top it.

Definitely Holiday World... Wait, Santa Claus doesn't have an airport? Then where does Santa land his sleigh? Fine, go to Dollywood... What was the question again? Oh yeah, I guess given those choices go to IOA, and be prepared to wait in line no matter which of the 2 you choose.

-James Dillaman