TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parc Asterix Discussion Thread

It was my first non-vekoma Invert, so bumpyness was not an issue to me (I still enjoy riding El Condor @ Walibi Holland), and I found it to be a really well-balanced ride with very nice zero-g-rolls (really zero-g). It wasn't extraordinarily forcefull, but it's very well-balanced and runs through a very nice environment. But perhaps the fact that there was barely any queue (only a front-seat row, they had problems filling the other rows, yet continued running with two trains) for the ride and I did it 12 times really helped.

Maybe asterix tried putting different types of wheels on the ride (cheaper ones maybe?), and that ruined the ride experience, I rode it april 30th..

Tonnerre ran really bad in the morning that day, but in the afternoon it kicked the ass of all other woodies I've done so far (7 ). Tonnerre really needs to run with two trains, just like robin hood @ walibi holland. 2 trains keep the track hot and thus they really improve the ride. I saw robin hood running nicely fast at 10:15, because it ran with two trains at the start of the day.

But.. If you like very intense rides, I doubt oz irix is your cup of tea. I think an SLC is more intense, even though it shakes..

I can't speak for anyone who had ridden it prior to our visit, obviously, but the majority of our group found Oz'Iris to be average at best.

Perhaps it was the over-hyping by the locals or maybe it just ran poorly for us, I'm not sure.

But from a layout that looks impressive, and theming that was really top notch, we found the ride to be mostly forceless, and had a really bad case of B&M rattle.

During ERT most people rode once, maybe twice, and called it quits because it was giving us a headache it was so bumpy.

What was way more appalling than the ride, however, was the response and attitude of the French coaster enthisiasts from our review. Wow, they should be embarrassed due to their behaviour.

On a side note, most of us did go back later in the day to give it another chance, since we had the VIP skip-the-line pass, and found it to be *slightly* better, but not enough to change most of our opinions.

The realty is that Oz'Iris was just "ok" - there isn't anything really wrong with the ride, it just didn't blow us away. It felt very average. It should be a huge hit with their core audience and do well for the park.

That's what's most important, right?

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

What was way more appalling than the ride, however, was the response and attitude of the French coaster enthisiasts from our review. Wow, they should be embarrassed due to their behaviour.

We are not embarrased, it's just we felt censure, you delete all comments that we posted...it's different.

A french TPR member are banned because he don't have the same opinion about the ride.

If i can explain me:

And on even one more note - we rode Monstre, Black Mamba, and Katun earlier I'm the trip and LOVED them!

I rode 6 new Inverted B&M in 1 mounth and Oziris is my Top 2 of 11 inverted B&M i rode.

1- Katun, oldshcool, the best for me, intense and agressive

2- Oziris, totally different of another B&M, it's aerial, and there is a lot of airtime in the Backseat specially on the second drop before the perfect Zero G Roll,and before the Immelman in the trench. It is intense in the Front Row.Theming is incredible, the Tunnel, Waou, exellent ride ! Nothing to declare with the roughness.

3- Monster, oldschool like Katun, love the non-trim ride

4- Great Bear, Oldschool too, nice layout, but too short

5- Talon. Love the zero G over the Station, nice layout

6- Black Mamba, it's an experience, not a powerfull ride and i love it

7- Nemesis, too rough, in 3 visites, lot of Headache, ouch. The natural theming is impressive but don't like very much the ride

8- Alpengeist, what is going on with the weels ?? Is too slow and forceless

9- Batman The ride ( Madrid and Great Adventure ) , there is too much positive G and it's rought

10- Nemesis Inferno, like Batman with No G Force

11- Raptor, there is No G !! Like Alpengeist, and the middle brake ruin the final part

So, in France, Oziris is for me one of the best Inverted that i have rode, its not a very intense ride but the theming, multiples interactions with it, and lot of airtime it's something TOTALLY NEW for an inverted B&M and it is smooth as a baby's bottom !

Sorry for my bad English and thxs for reading, it's my point of view, let you do what you want with it...you and me are not god speaker about roller coaster, some people are different point of you, we don't hype the ride lile you said. It's just a different opinion

Gaga, a french coasters geek

We are not embarrased, it's just we felt censure, you delete all comments that we posted...it's different.

A french TPR member are banned because he don't have the same opinion about the ride.

If i can explain me:

And on even one more note - we rode Monstre, Black Mamba, and Katun earlier I'm the trip and LOVED them!

I rode 6 new Inverted B&M in 1 mounth and Oziris is my Top 2 of 11 inverted B&M i rode.

1- Katun, oldshcool, the best for me, intense and agressive

2- Oziris, totally different of another B&M, it's aerial, and there is a lot of airtime in the Backseat specially on the second drop before the perfect Zero G Roll,and before the Immelman in the trench. It is intense in the Front Row.Theming is incredible, the Tunnel, Waou, exellent ride ! Nothing to declare with the roughness.

3- Monster, oldschool like Katun, love the non-trim ride

4- Great Bear, Oldschool too, nice layout, but too short

5- Talon. Love the zero G over the Station, nice layout

6- Black Mamba, it's an experience, not a powerfull ride and i love it

7- Nemesis, too rough, in 3 visites, lot of Headache, ouch. The natural theming is impressive but don't like very much the ride

8- Alpengeist, what is going on with the weels ?? Is too slow and forceless

9- Batman The ride ( Madrid and Great Adventure ) , there is too much positive G and it's rought

10- Nemesis Inferno, like Batman with No G Force

11- Raptor, there is No G !! Like Alpengeist, and the middle brake ruin the final part

So, in France, Oziris is for me one of the best Inverted that i have rode, its not a very intense ride but the theming, multiples interactions with it, and lot of airtime it's something TOTALLY NEW for an inverted B&M and it is smooth as a baby's bottom !

Sorry for my bad English and thxs for reading, it's my point of view, let you do what you want with it...you and me are not god speaker about roller coaster, some people are different point of you, we don't hype the ride lile you said. It's just a different opinion

Gaga, a french coasters geek

Welcome to the board, Gaga. I am the TPR Facebook moderator, along with Robb. If you had made this same post on our Facebook page, it would still be there. Why? Because you stated your opinion in a civil manner. You explained your reasoning very well and without attacking Robb's opinion. We have absolutely no problem with that and appreciate it.

So, why are many of your fellow enthusiasts being banned and having comments deleted from the Facebook page? Because they are being rude, obnoxious, and attacking Robb instead of being civil. We are just not going to put up with people making posts like this. It is not censorship as there are still several posts that remain on the page from people that disagree with Robb.

And yes, we have had to ban a couple of French enthusiasts from the forum for the same reasons as stated below.

Again, welcome to the site.

Edited by ernierocker

I had mixed experiences on Oz'Iris. The very first ride of the day was extremely smooth, and I was wondering what other people were complaining about when it came to rattle. Later in the day, when I rode again (I was in a different seat, and perhaps on a different train), it was really pretty rattle-y. I wonder whether one train had been recently re-wheeled or better maintained? It's not that Oz'Iris can't run smoothly, it's just that it doesn't always. Again, my first ride was fantastically smooth.

Aside from the first drop and the last inversion, though, I did think the ride was pretty dull. I love B&M inverts, and I really wanted to love this ride and was looking forward to it... but it did let me down.

I agree that the theming is great. I loved all the detail in the queue, on the castle, in the physical placement of the ride, etc --- it's going to be a popular ride for a long time. I feel like if they had built the ride after the drop slightly smaller (shave a few feet off the height of the inversions), the intensity would be earth-shattering, but that's probably not what the park was going for.

There are very few really rocking B&M inverts out there these days... the more compact, twisty-turny rides are delivering the experience a little better these days.

-Matt

Rode Oziris a couple days ago for the first time. (had the VIP package so got several rides on it)

I quite liked it.

After reading reviews i was thinking it would ride like Silver Bullet at Knotts Berry but it certainly wasn't IMO

It wasnt as extreme on the inversions like many B&M inverts but i found it a great ride & didnt feel any excessive (& un B&M) roughness.

The VIP package was so worth it, besides the unlimited fast pass for several rides, the 3 course meals we had were delicious.

Just my opinion!

They were not banned for having a different opinion. They were banned because they were being obnoxious and rude.

It's not having a different opinion that causes problems, it's how you express that opinion.

It's not having a different opinion that causes problems, it's how you express that opinion.

--Robb "It's not having a different opinion that causes problems, it's how you express that opinion." Alvey

Well, Robb, I also had to disagree with you. When I rode Oziris late April, I found the ride pretty amazing and very smooth. I don't know what happened on your visit. I know that the ride had encountered several problems (process and trains), but I don't know if those problems really helped to give you such a bad opinion towards the ride. I didn't find it bumpy, I didn't have any headache or other problems, though I rode it 5 times in a row. Your opinion on the ride is pretty weird indeed, compared to others' opinions.

However, I must agree with you that the ride is forceless. I was also disappointed by the lack of positive G forces throughout the whole ride. But it also has some nice negative G forces (the drop before the Zero-G-roll, the segment between the loop and the immelman, the first drop ridden in the back rows), so I enjoyed it a lot.

Edited by Bob!

I'm not surprised by the poor reviews of Oziris, they are consistent with most every other recent B&M invert installation. At least it does have a fairly unique layout and I'm sure, like most every other criticized new coaster in the world, the GP will love it. Only us nerds will pick it apart.

How was TDZ running this go around? Rough? Smooth? At the very least fast?

They seemed to have fixed the end brake which was alot smoother. Previously i had witnessed a girl get a blood nose from hitting her head on the train during that brake.

I'm a bit surprised to see poor reviews, particulalrly as it's barely 2 months since the ECC and CoasterForce both rode it - and both said that it was "one of B and Ms best, if not their very best".

Then again I've heard "Nemesis Beater" used for lot's of BamdMs, but to me nothing yet has touched the raw intensity and overall ride experience that nemmy gives time and time again!

It's amazing how coasters can vary though - before our US trip, I'd heard all sorts on how brill Boulder Dash was - yet even those who love the ride, said that they'd "never known it run this bad" - it did improve in the evening, but still wasn't the number 1 ride we were expecting.

I don't know if it's JUST the hype that can ruin a ride - I've had a number of occasions when I'd heard little about a ride, and found it very disapointing (Daemonen, kanonen), and a number of occasions when a well hyped ride has blown me away! (Bizarro sfne and Piraten)

How was TDZ running this go around? Rough? Smooth? At the very least fast?

I posted a POV and a review right here, but it has been removed.

I feel that TDZ is in a great shape this year, although the side wheels make some weird noise during laterals. There's a few nice floating times, but the best about it is its constant speed from the start to the end.

Not a mind-blowing coaster, but something very fun to ride with friends.

I posted a POV and a review right here, but it has been removed.

I didn't personally do it, but here is the reason:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137

14. Posting Links or "Spamming" - You must have at least 50 posts if you want to create a post which sole purpose is to link to your personal website, update, YouTube video, forum or any other website. If your post count is under 50 posts and your link has not be pre-approved by an admin or moderator, your link will be removed. Please note - links to your website in your signature are acceptable.

Just to make it clear that your post was not removed because of the review.

In terms of the issue at hand of differing opinions, it may not have been the opinion itself, but rather the way it came across. The way the review was worded rather than the actual opinion. I found opinions on both sides to be very harshly worded, and this is probably what caused the whole incident.

That's my take on the situation...

In all honesty, no matter how it rides, the thing still looks pretty freaking awesome. Forceless or not, I'd still ride it over an SLC any day. And I think most people would agree.

In all honesty, no matter how it rides, the thing still looks pretty freaking awesome. Forceless or not, I'd still ride it over an SLC any day. And I think most people would agree.

Hitting yourself in the head with a hammer would be prefereable to riding an SLC, too--but only slightly.

This looks like a pretty decent ride. A new B&M Inverter in Europe - yay!

That must be the first one since Monster @ Walygator Parc (France), I guess. But that's a refurbished (very good) one, originally built in 1996 for a japanese world exposition (though much more forceful than the new ones, it's a shame - I 'fully recommend' it).

The latest 'new' one is Black Mamba @ Phantasialand (Germany) in my opinion. That's a hilarious ride, but probably in first place because of the outstanding (not Disney) theming. The layout is well-engineered, no doubt. But it's also a little bit predictable (yes, there is a 'world-unique' Inclined Immelmann, but you won't recognize it particularly while riding it, it feels pretty smilar to an overbanked turn), not in a bad way but eventually not to frighten the 'average' of the park visitors too much, I guess.

Anyway, this new addition is very welcome! I'm looking forward to experience it one (any) day. Thanks, Parc Astérix!

I'd hate to be another poor reviewer of OzIris, but it really is not an "old school" B&M... it just looks like one. It was still an okay ride, has all the elements in place, but there were no forces. We rode it at the beginning of the day, then again later in the afternoon. I will say, it did get SLIGHTLY better as the day went on, but still nothing earth shattering.

TDZ was pretty good. I was afraid it was going to be very rough, but it honestly wasn't that bad. Still rideable. It's got a good layout, good pops of airtime here and there, and is a lot of fun. It slowed down as the day went on, and in fact, we were worried on our last ride, that we'd clear the end of it, but it's still a good coaster.

I really enjoyed the MadHouse too. Not the most intense one I've ever done, but well worth the go-around. Great theme, great presentation, good fun.

I still can't get over the lines at this park. I mean 2 hours for Goudurix? 3 hours for OzIris? Everything was at least an hour. This park needs to keep adding high capacity rides, or things that suck people up, because it's nearly impossible to get everything done in a day (and there really isn't THAT much to do!)

I still can't get over the lines at this park. I mean 2 hours for Goudurix?

This, in particular, amazes me. I imagine a "Hit Yourself on the Head with a Hammer" attraction would attract a similar line at Parc Asterix.

That being said, I like this park quite a bit (particularly Zeus, the Madhouse, the dark ride, and the flume).

Edited by cfc

Saying Oziris has no forces is like saying a comedy-movie lacks of explosions...

Also, while speaking of forces, why you only considerate positives g's? Aren't zero g's great?

Yeah, but there aren't any of those on the ride either!

Seriously, it was almost like the wingriders where it takes the elements so slowly you're just kind of hanging in your restraint.

Like we've all been trying to say, it's a great ride for the park and the GP, but anyone saying it's 'Old School B&M' is either lying or wrong.

Saying Oziris has no forces is like saying a comedy-movie lacks of explosions...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this expression...

And no, the drop was pretty much the only time I felt anything at all, beyond the rattling of the cars. The last inversion was good, but that was just the proximity to the wall. It really didn't do much of anything else. It sucks because like i said earlier, the elements are all there for a great B&M, but it was just too weak. I don't think any of us are necessarily bashing the ride itself, but it's just not a typical B&M Invert. Someone said this before (I forgot who you were) and I fully agree "It's the Silver Bullet of Europe"... very forceless.