TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parc Asterix Discussion Thread

Retracked....by Vekoma...soooo is there even going to be improvement?

I will admit, the new restraints on Sidewinder at Herhsye were a vast improvement. Going backwards into the cobra roll though, still cause some neck thrashing. Obviously that wasn't retracked though, with both maybe the ride will be fun : O

Damn, why are they sinking more money into this ride! Seriously just tear it down!

It's like an old car, it gets to the point where it's not worth investing in it, because it can't be saved.

Still, it will probably be a good move for the park, since the ride seems to still be pretty popular.

I think something like Krake at Heide Park would look really good in Goudurix's location and out over the water.

Read that article just now and it seems they where putting money in this ride like it is water. I've heard that it was was bad and so I don't understand this at all. I wonder what happens if the ride doesn't get better or even more worse. Will they understand then?

Surprised that I don't see any comment of Robb about this.

^But the layout of Goudurix hasn't.

That being said, I agree that Vekoma has made a number of changes for the better--but I'm not sure they can salvage this ride.

Edited by cfc

This is coming from someone who's never ridden this coaster and has only ridden a couple of Vekomas in his lifetime (X-Flight and Serial Thriller), but why is it that Schwarzkopf coasters can have the insane loops and be just as rough as Vekomas and get more love than Vekoma? Maybe Schwarzkopf just has more fanboys, but good for the park for at least trying to fix it. That's more than what other parks can say that throw in the towel or let it SBNO for years. Wait and see I guess.

^Because Anton Schwarzkopf actually made sure his rides weren't crap (no OTSRs so no head banging, makes for a WAY better ride). The reason the loops feel off sometimes is because he used a almost circular loop which has more forces the Arrow/Vekoma loops had.

Great to see them retracking, but I don't know if it will make a TON of a difference (new trains will do that ). Also I can't recall if this was true or not, but didn't Vekoma reuse track from another project that was cancelled for Goudurix's Butterfly Loop, could explain why that part is so crappy and looks REALLY odd. Also if this doesn't work, I would like to see Parc Astérix put a Mack or Intamin Mega Coaster there.

Anyone that's never been on this crap pile has no idea how bad it is. Retracking can certainly help. If by "retracking" you mean "tear it down and melt it down and replace it with anything" because this ride is among the worst on Earth. Seriously, this money could be better spent on just about anything.

dt

It looks the same as any Vekoma/Arrow coaster that's been built here in the U.S. and depending on whoever the rider is I'm sure it varies. Also, if the ride has capacity issues with just the one train running that would suggest the ride is popular assuming every guest that enters the park is unaware of the coaster's unprecedented reputation. The park would have to see good reason to fix it if they didn't think it was worth it, but I guess it's possible that they're only fixing a bad road by patching a couple of pot holes so to speak.

^^ Agreed. For those who haven't ridden this ride - what you think is bad would be Intamin smooth compared to this piece of junk. On the Europe trip I remember our group thinking... "how bad can it really be?" considering we were subjected to several SLCs, Anaconda, and Bandit in the days prior. It really is that bad! After we got off we stood there and you could easily see the train shuffle (or rather get thrown) into every curve. It was easy to spot on the track... as the paint was quite worn from the train slamming into it.

The best part (or rather the redeeming funny part) was either the half put together train sitting next to the ride (have to wonder if the ride ripped it apart) or the fact the ride had at least 2 hour hour wait! (Thanks to the TPR we didn't waste more than 2 minute waiting!)

I guess this topic deserves TPR's own POV of the ride.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I just saw this for the first time and despite Robb's funny comments on the lift hill I had to judge by people's reactions on the train during the course of the ride and I would have to say that Manhattan Express sounds much worse. Maybe a handheld camera would have provided a better example of how rough this thing is.

^Exactly, I never understood people that thought that Goudurix was at least so different or 'had a great layout' there are very similar Vekoma creations out there that are equally bad.

I guess there aren't to many big loopers of Vekoma in europe (anymore?). And a GREAT layout might be pushing it... But I guess if the ride wasnt so rough, it would be a pretty fun ride. Personally I think the same of SLC's.

May I repost my POV took last year, because TPR's one cleary doesn't show how rough the ride is:

This was taken with the GoPro chesty, and see how shaky it is! Beside the vibrations, the top of the inversions are taken way too quickly, making some bad postive g forces.

I don't expect the retraking to take this ride from worst to best, but wait and see, maybe this... thing will be ridable again.

This is coming from someone who's never ridden this coaster and has only ridden a couple of Vekomas in his lifetime (X-Flight and Serial Thriller), but why is it that Schwarzkopf coasters can have the insane loops and be just as rough as Vekomas and get more love than Vekoma? Maybe Schwarzkopf just has more fanboys, but good for the park for at least trying to fix it. That's more than what other parks can say that throw in the towel or let it SBNO for years. Wait and see I guess.

The only truly bad Scharzkopf looper that I can recall is Revolution at SFMM, but it sure didn't start out that way (adding OTSRs was a mistake). It's not a matter of being a "fanboy"; it's a matter of which rides have been the best in my experience.

Not everything by Vekoma is "bad," but Goudurix definitely is. If they can salvage it, that's great--but I have my doubts.

Yeah, I can't recall riding a Schwarzkopf that was anywhere close to rough. Fortunately, I haven't ridden Revolution after the OTSR were added.

Really have no clue why someone would make a comparison between Vekomas and Schwarzkopfs in terms of roughness.

Take off the OTSRs off of Goudurix... put OTSR's on Mindbender (SFoG).

Yeah, which would be worse? That "Third inversion" on Mindbender would absolutely destroy you with OTSRs (Yes, I consider that part "rough", if there were OTSR's on it, I'm sure it'd be just like Revolution) and Goudurix would be considered "Good".

Texas Tornado/Zonga = Crap after the OTSRs were installed. If Goudurix had lap bars (Maybe even the new vest restraints) I'm sure it wouldn't be receiving all the hate it currently does.

Remember what happened to Premier when they changed to Lap Bars? Crap rides becoming ridable/re-ridable.

Yeah, I can't recall riding a Schwarzkopf that was anywhere close to rough. Fortunately, I haven't ridden Revolution after the OTSR were added.

I've experienced both. Lord, that was a great ride when I was in high school.

Really have no clue why someone would make a comparison between Vekomas and Schwarzkopfs in terms of roughness.

Well, to be fair, Revolution isn't a rough coaster,. It's the stupid restraints the park put on that cause the pain.