TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parc Asterix Discussion Thread

I can't get enough of this ride. After seeing some videos, I came to a conclusion that this might be the most intense B&M on the planet. The g-force is crazy, plus the pacing! Man, I really want to visit Parc Asterix and take this for a spin or two!

Take a step back.

So I won't start a new topic since this one is hot already, no need to add another one and I prefer putting my mini trip report and pictures in this one. I arrived at the park for the opening of the gates, literally ran to the coaster but had to wait a wee bit because they were shooting some "celebs" and recording for French radio programmes. However, on first dispatch, screams were heard (who would have thought ?) and operation on Oziris was great and "fluent". I waited for front row on my first ride, which meant something like 45 minutes, but later in the day, I rode the back twice and the wait was about 15 minutes. So no worries about poor operation some might have feared. Impressions on the ride: SMOOTHEST EVER !!! and for the peeps who would be tempted to assimilate this as "forceless"...you're WRONG ! While it's not Batman the Ride intense, it's really packed with strong positive G forces in the (first on an invert) dive loop, vertical loop, and the helix. The first drop is better in the back seat of course, and the back generally offers decent doses of airtime (on an invert, I insist... rare enough to mention) Places like the lake tunnel drop, and the one prior to the last inversion. Good footchopper on this one but I'l a bit sad I cannot find the "b*tch slap roll" felt on Khan's, Talon's or BTR's zero G rolls. That might be my only criticism on the new coaster. Themeing is top notch, the queue is full of humour although I doubt non native speakers will understand many of the puns (to be found everywhere in the park by the way) All in all I rank this coaster quite high and am sure it will be a hit for Asterix. I PREFER IT IN THE REAR (so Laura can quote me). Goudurix was rough as ever, but I need my s&m fix everytime I hit the park. BUT THE BIG BIG AND EXCELLENT NEWS IS... Tonnerre de Zeus has now recovered its former glory ! OMFG I'm in love with it again. Last year's visit with my US friends made me feel ashamed because I had praised it so much, and was a letdown on that specific day we rode it. But winter rehab has made it awesome again, so this is good news for fellow TPR members on the European trip next June. Enough of my blah blah I guess, on to the pics now. Hope you enjoy

PICT2221.thumb.JPG.7c6662b746d3ddf0d63a0f413d724aab.JPG

PICT2219.thumb.JPG.4aebb2227022847c87de04370657d952.JPG

PICT2218.thumb.JPG.d8a47a6072c2c29221d6f15b3e948880.JPG

PICT2208.thumb.JPG.4c875b06a0981db3d184833a39cdba19.JPG

PICT2205.thumb.JPG.d338f551a1f1fabb42c52c54f2702776.JPG

PICT2206.thumb.JPG.6c1516e293909f64aa362d78d49286ec.JPG

PICT2207.thumb.JPG.79517bc9da50a84b228725144f77557b.JPG

PICT2198.thumb.JPG.f9d5cb78fc9555ac92f45bd039a9537c.JPG

PICT2203.thumb.JPG.73548286cf2c309a83f3f398e82fac18.JPG

PICT2204.thumb.JPG.85a58b0470d4d9542d718ae823f6e164.JPG

1945829243_PICT2200(800x600).jpg.302195b7948085aacc7138466b75799c.jpg

PICT2212.thumb.JPG.4ae8cc097c122ee6d38332acbf09b855.JPG

PICT2213.thumb.JPG.3b8f0d377911244d8e1136b66938470a.JPG

PICT2215.thumb.JPG.8c763c233507829119bf08aed8772231.JPG

PICT2216b.thumb.JPG.0bb99cb35e1a4395be219203becb31f3.JPG

Weird you would say Talon has a "bitch slap roll" which I assume relates to a lot of rotational whip. I found that Talon had the opposite of that. It was very smooth, fluent with consistent and predictable forces. Now, BTR or Raptor - those are the bitch slap. I look at Talon as the "second" generation of Zero G's. More fluid. Smoother. Rotation is spread across more of the parabola than Raptor or BTRs.

Then came the third gen, the Patriot's and Hydras where you can almost tell the rotation is spread over almost the entire parabola. I didnt get any real whip from Talons, just beautiful Zero G in motion.

However I think Patriot, Black Mamba and this have the third gen which is a much longer rotation. IMO, its still as fascinating because while the shorter whip has the impression its more "intense", I also really like a slower roll because it has that feeling of "whens this thing gonna end" to it. I love both, but for entirely different reasons.

Just had to say that. ive never heard someone put Talon in the same category as BTR - or even close to it.

Honestly, the only zero-g roll I really love is the one on Superman: KC at SFFT (and I'm not even much of a fan of that coaster). The rest fade into the background to me when compared to other elements on their respective rides.

By the way, the above trip report makes me want to go ride Goudurix.

Is OzIris the only B&M Invert without a pre-drop?

Yep.

Its also the first new B&M inverted coaster to be built since Phaethon opened in 2007.

And the first one to feature a dive loop!

BTW, has the ride consistently been running 2 trains? I have heard negative reviews about PA's operations and I was wondering if that happens on Oz'Iris too...

About the roll: Agreed: Talon's the least abrupt of the ones I mentionned. (Khan's being the "strongest", and I hear Kumba's very similar... maybe the train type) One inverter that REALLY did that to me was Giovanolla's Eurostar though, the feeling visually accentuated by the coaster's structure and compactness around it. I think I should have worded my thoughts better... I know zero G rolls are supposed to be "zero G's", but on Khan or Batman for instance, it feels as if the train is actually trying to throw you out of your seat. So technically, Oziris' might be better achieved as a zero G, whereas I prefer Khan's, Talon's or BTR's because of the wild feeling of pushing you against the OTSR. Got the idea ? As for OPERATION: Oziris has been an example of perfect operation all day, whereas they waited for a very long time before they put a second train on TdZeus... which led to a 1,5 hours wait for a back seat ride on it before 2 PM !!! But to find it was back to its former glory, I would say it was worth it. OMG I'm in love with it again. As far as woodies are concerned, there's nothing coming close in the area. I dare say it's my favourite European woodie by far. My hips are bruised the way I like !

Yea its personal preference really.The BTR's and Raptors I feel dont really give you any feeling of floating at all, just trying to rip you from the seat which is fun as well. However I think from a design standpoint its flawed in B&M's eyes and is why over time it has gone away. They look for the most comfortable ride possible and elongating the rotation through the roll provides that.

But I will say, the first time I rode a Zero G like that (Hydra's for example) I was kinda blown away. That slow roll combined with actual weightlessness was pretty awesome. For once I felt the airtime portion of the parabola and rotated without smashing in the headrest. Two different (completely) rolls but both really fun. I wouldnt expect another roll from them to feature strong rotational G's ever again really.

Thanks for the trip report. Very useful!

My pleasure. I ususally avoid writing too many trip reports since most parks have already been reviewed by many of you fellow TPR members, but I decided to give it a (little) try this time since it was "real" opening day (after last year's preview for the people who had won admission on Asterix's facebook) So I wanted to give my impressions on one that hasn't been ridden by many so far, and I could not resist stating again how amazing Zeus is these days, to bring some TPR EXCITEMENT for the European trip participants coming next june. Glad you liked it. One thing to keep in mind also: the park is not HUGE and can seem a bit crowded sometimes, but June should be perfect since lots of French (and Belgian) pupils and students might still be at school taking exams when you hit the park. All in all, here's a summary of my visit:

Oziris: 3x

Tonnerre de Zeus: 2x

Goudurix: 1x

Trace du Hourra: 1x

swinging ship: 1x

beer stops: I lost track...

Everyone keeps making comparisons with Batman and Raptor, how would Oziris compare to Black Mamba? Isn't Mamba one of their more intense inverts?

I was under the impression that everyone was making comparisons with Montu.

Everyone keeps making comparisons with Batman and Raptor, how would Oziris compare to Black Mamba? Isn't Mamba one of their more intense inverts?

It is, and it's a very good ride - but it still feels quite fluid and controlled unlike the older coasters.

Pretty sure I have heard the exact opposite on Black Mamba, that is one of the least forceful B&M inverts???

Either way, after watching the POV, it is certainly refreshing to see B&M change it up some with Oziris' layout. Looks like a fun ride!

It is, and it's a very good ride - but it still feels quite fluid and controlled unlike the older coasters.

I like Black Mamba, but I think the theming is what makes the ride (I agree that it isn't all that "forceful"), and Asterix did a great job with Oziris, too.

It's great to see B&M doing some unique custom inverts again, it seemed like for the longest time every new B&M invert had the same inversions in almost the same sequence with little variation. This looks like a completely new layout and looks like a lot of fun, and the surrounding area looks great.

I think this looks like one of the best B&M loopers I've seen lately. Judging by the layout, it seems like everything up to the first corkscrew is actually pretty forceful. This zero-g roll looks pretty good and I really do like the placement, but it doesn't look like a particularly intense element on this ride.

While Black Mamba is certainly not Batman the Ride, it's also NOT the least forceful among the inverts even if there is a consensus on some sites to say so... I would say Patriot is. Followed by Alpengeist, nearly crawling at the end of the ride after the MCBR...(only forces I felt were in the Cobra Roll) I can tell you you feel the blood rushing to your feet on Oziris in certain spot. OK, you won't black out on it, but it's more forceful than Mamba, Talon, or Alpie in my book. I guess we feel forces differently depending on the day we ride and the conditions we are in, too... TBH, I love nemesis but couldn't understand why it was sooo highly ranked among enthusiasts. The hype often plays against a ride... my biggest letdown being SROS / Bizarro... Expect much and you're disappointed. Go with no high hopes and you can only be positively surprised