TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best First Drop on a Wooden Coaster? Which one do you think?

Let's see, admitting that I haven't been on more than 5 wooden coasters, I'll have to say that Terminator's drop in the back at night pwns. No other drop on a woodie has beaten it for me yet.

---Brent

Yes!! Whipping around that turn then speeding through the drop right after took me by surprise, every single time.

I'm hoping to experience El Toro by the end of the summer, but we'll see. Reading this thread is really making me eager to see what it's all about.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, that first drop of El Toro just snatches your breathe away hell all of the ride does. It never lets up like a lot of coasters. i dont remember one trim on it. Even though the Voyage is my number one woodie, (mainly because it is a terrain coaster which are my favorite), the first drop and the constant speed of El Toro cant be touched not even by any Steel.

So u MUST try it before any of us leave this Earth ahahha.

Even though I think Balder is a ***much*** better ride, I'm still going to have to go with El Toro. Nothing compares to that first drop, except for maybe GeForce's first drop. But that's not a woodie. So, it doesn't count for the purposes of this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Honestly - and this is based on my enjoyment of it - my favourite first drop is the tunnel on SCBB's Giant Dipper..and yes, I do count it as a drop there's something about tumbling immediately into utter darkness on a wooden coaster.

I'm a big sucker for American Eagle in the back seat. Great air all the way down followed by a crazy rumbling and rushing through a big mess of wooden supports.

Its just madness!

Although... this may change after my visit to Holiday World in less than 30 days!

El Toro's drop in the back seat literally scared me. I had actual fear running through my body, which hadn't happened on a coaster since I was about 10 (my first ride was last year at age 24).

El Toro is #1-10 on the best first drop list, and then I gotta say (shockingly) that Rampage's first drop in the back row (or any row really) is spectacular. You get some insane ejector air on that thing in the back row, and anywhere else is just flat out rip your face off intense.

Terminator Salvation: The Ride has a pretty good one because you approach it at speed instead of directly off the lifthill. This leads to airtime, especially in the back of the train. I also like the first drop on Ghostrider because it is the smoothest part of the ride (right into one of the roughest parts).

El Toro's drop in the back seat literally scared me. I had actual fear running through my body, which hadn't happened on a coaster since I was about 10 (my first ride was last year at age 24).

I totally agree. I rode it in the back seat not expecting it to me anything different than the other wooden coasters I had ridden and it blew me away. It almost seemed like I was out of my seat more than I was in my seat! So much airtime!

Ghostrider. It may suck now, but during the first season of that thing I remember getting CRAZY ejector airtime all the way down. It is the only time in my life where I have almost accidentally stood up on a coaster.

Now I really feel like I've missed out. That's my favorite kind of airtime. I've experienced it on 2 woodies and a steelie.

I was kind of desperately hoping that the problem with Ghrostrider was just roughness and not loss of airtime...sounds like I was very wrong.

^ Unless I am mistaken, Ghostrider was Robb's number one wooden coaster when it opened. Now, that may not be saying too much considering it was before the Intamin Plug N Plays. When Ghostrider opened it was truly a world class wooden roller coaster.

• 1 year later...