TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best First Drop on a Wooden Coaster? Which one do you think?

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im definitely gonna have to go with El Toro on this. In the front its just insane, you just keep tilting forward and before you know it youre flying out of your seat. I want to get back to ride it asap.

Honorable mention, as angry_gumball said Gold Strikers drop is awesome, best way to experience it is in the back. It just pulls you right over the top and twists to the right. Youre already hauling a$$ like a cannonball, with his words.

El Toro's at Great Adventure is crazy ! From the passenger POV's it looks vertical and it's insane ! The worst is Mean Streak with all the brakes it's boring and not interessing all. And it's rough !

I prefer Outlaw Run very slightly to El Toro. Both are amazing in the back seat. I also always liked The Predator at Darien Lake's first drop. Just that feeling of getting thrown over a cliff in a shopping cart gets me every time .

We need to get Johnny Knoxville to ride it before RMC gets their hands on it.

• 3 weeks later...
Medusa Steel Coaster at Six Flags Mexico

or El Toro

Medusa Steel Coaster is not a wooden coaster, as it's name suggests..

I have to go with Outlaw Run. I love the way it dips first to pick up a little speed, and the airtime as it pulls the back seat over is incredible.

Iron Rattler has the best first drop of any wooden coaster I have ever been on, even though it is a hybrid. Even after 78 times the first drop is truly magnificent!

Well, if it's a hybrid, it's not a wooden coaster, so it can't really be the best drop on a wooden coaster...

I also always liked The Predator at Darien Lake's first drop. Just that feeling of getting thrown over a cliff in a shopping cart gets me every time .

Timber Terror and Tremors both have drops that are like this, and that is why they are amazing (other than airtime). But Timber Terror has the edge due to buzz bars ;D

^I've lost track of my opinions on first drops, since there are plenty of great ones, as well as some average ones on otherwise amazing coasters. But I wouldn't be surprised if Timber Terror in the back would still make my top 5. The front is no slouch, either; excepting the first drop, it offers all the air you could possibly want.

Even though it isn't the wildest or steepest, I love how Boulder Dash's first drop is always about the same height from the ground and the trees really accentuate its speed.

You nailed it, Boulder Dash is my personal fav, followed by El Toro.

I always tend to prefer first drops that don't come immediately after a lift hill. It builds even more suspense and also lets the train gain some speed. Right now I really liked Outlaw Run's little dip before the drop and most GCIs that have a turn around before the drop are pretty great too like Apocalypse. Then of course there is El Toro's awesome first drop after really hauling through it's top of the lift turn around.

As for favorite non-first drops on wooden coasters, I'd like to bring up the Voyage's triple down.

• 2 years later...

Time to bring back a dead thread.

We have the "Best drop on a steel coaster going around" So, I figured it would be fun to talk about best drop on a wooden coaster since a lot of new wooden coasters have opened since the last time this thread was active.

So, for me... I am going to say that Outlaw Run has the best drop on a wooden coaster. It is steep, and amazing!