TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best First Drop on a Wooden Coaster? Which one do you think?

I have to say this season since it looks like my funds are going to be alot more limited than the last couple of years, I will have to visit cliffs again. I was there the last operating day in 2003, so I'm overdue to ride NMR because it really is surprising how good it is.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to hit the park again this weekend, just to ride the rattler a few more times, It really did blow me away last weekend, I remember it being a very good coaster, but damn it really kicked my ass

NM Rattler has a nice first drop

Ozark Wildcat too .. love those curving drops from GCI

I have toa also agree on Ozark Wildcat, I think I liked the first drop on it better than I did on Thunderhead, Thunderheads almost looks impossible from the ground but Ozark Wildcat's is just so much fun with it's sort of morphed double down that gives surprisingly high lateral g's for a GCI.

I would probably have to go with Heide Park's Colossos.

I mean, you can't get much better than a 196 foot, 61 degree drop on a wood coaster that's as smooth as Millennium Force!

--Robb "Of course....that is until Balder in a few weeks with a 70 degree drop!" Alvey

Totally agree Robb,

First drop on Colossos is fantastic, it's almost steel coaster smoothness & ride specs

Length: 4409' 5"

Height: 196' 10"

Speed: 74.6 mph

Duration: 2:25

Max Vertical Angle: 61 Degrees

Paul 'Going to Liseberg next month " Chapman

My favorite has got to be Roar at SFA. I love the curve in the middle, and it's pretty steep (for a coaster at SFA). The first time I rode that coaster, I wasn't expecting the drop to have as much force as it did. That drop is the main reason I've ridden Roar about thirty times.

Gosh this is a hard one!

I had totally forgotten about Grand National till someone else posted about it! That's a pretty good drop, I also would say that Colossos is up there too.

Come on NE Cyclone guys...that first drop is awesome!!! It's so ungodly painful in a way new way each season when they reprofile it that it's got to be up there!

When are we doing the topic for favorite *any* drop on a Wooden coaster?

Then I'd say: JackRabbit @ Kennywood and Cyclops at the Dells would be up there!

Elissa "Mmm Cyclops" Alvey

Gosh this is a hard one!

When are we doing the topic for favorite *any* drop on a Wooden coaster?

Then I'd say: JackRabbit @ Kennywood and Cyclops at the Dells would be up there!

Elissa "Mmm Cyclops" Alvey

I know that's why I said first drop I figured it would be more challenging. If it was any drop on a wooden coaster we'd probably see a LOT of Cyclops, JackRabbits, Ghostriders and Ravens.

My absolute alltime favorite woodie drop was (note: "was") the first/second drop combo on the Riverside Cyclone (pre-castration). The first time I rode, I had heard the stories about that coaster, so I took my first ride in the back seat and ordered myself to keep my hands up the entire ride. When we went down the first drop, I was like "HOLY F**KING S**T!!!".... then we hit the second bump/drop and I literally thought I was going insane: "This cannot be real!" It felt like I was being rouched up by some 300 lb club bouncer. The air was amazing, it was so rough, it was just....perfection. But then SFNE went a f**ked it all up... Not only did they "retard" the first drop, they added another trim, I think. Now, it's horribly rough (not in a good way) and it just crawls along the track. I hardly ever get upset over coasters, but this situation justs really pisses me off.

-kip-

Tremors, especially at about midnight at Coaster Alley Convergence.

The airtime just keeps going and going - down the first hill, thru the gift shop, over the speed bump into the tunnel and finally ends when you hit the first curve.

My very limited woodie portfolio that extends to 2 parks gives me a rather easy decision here.

At the moment, the double drop on the Grand National can't be beaten. Good air, even at the front, and still going pretty smoothly for its age.

Hopefully this'll change in summer once Colossos has been rided!

• 6 months later...

hmm, tough call.I've got it narrowed down to four:

Thunderhead is really neat because it looks like you are going to go strait into the trees but you pull out at the last minute with a pretty step and really twisty drop. Rampage and Silver Comet both have awesome ejections in the back seat, all while Boulder dash has a sweet location amongst the trees and the flat run at the top builds anticipation until you scream down the drop!

Oh its so tough I'll call it a tie