TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Afterburner stuck upside down?

Riders aboard the Afterburner-shuttle-loop coaster get more than they bargain for as the malfunctioning ride strands 12 riders as temperatures approach 90'F.

Read more on this credit link: http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/news/local/14950495.htm

Wasn't this coaster one (of two) of the original shuttle loops from SFGA?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several factors can do that:

1. Mechanical failure (wheel/axle/bogey separation, etc). Most likely cause

2. "Slow" launch (only 12 riders on the ride).

3. Very High Winds (but rare event) and it was not windy that day.

Several coasters that actually have been stuck in the loop:

1. Demon

2. Orient Express

3. Shockwave (torn down now)

4. Any more?

That's sad. I hope the riders don't sue and understand that the reason wasn't the parks fault. Also, I hope this coaster doesn't get torn down because of this . And to Kumba9, That shuttle loop is from Boardwalk and Baseball, where it was called Zoomerang.

Several coasters that actually have been stuck in the loop:

1. Demon

2. Orient Express

3. Shockwave (torn down now)

4. Any more?

...woah. I never knew about those two.

Anyways, I'd freak out if I was stuck upside down.

Demon and turbine are the only ones that accually got stuck upsidedown(Excluding afterburner)not Shockwave and Orient Express.

Both of those were stuck upside down

Both of those had axle failures around the yoke area and the wheel carrier unit (backup safety bars engaged into the track). Shockwave (3rd loop) and O-E (1st loop). No one was on Shockwave when that happened, but there was passengers on the O-E during that incident (I believe it was around 89-91 that it happened). After those incidents there was a TSB for a modifcation on the axle area to inspect and on some Arrow chassis models (depending upon the certification #'s) parts had to be replaced. This also affected the LNM at BGE and we had to modify/upgrade a component that was within that TSB listing and it informed/stated the rides that it happened too.

Afterburner update:

**Apparently Afterburner had some previous issues with the ride. A report conducted identified a leak in the air cylinder (regulator) failed. In May, 7 issues/citations were noticed on the ride.

Link (about 1/4 down the page): http://www.rideaccidents.com/

Several factors can do that:

1. Mechanical failure (wheel/axle/bogey separation, etc). Most likely cause

2. "Slow" launch (only 12 riders on the ride).

3. Very High Winds (but rare event) and it was not windy that day.

according to the article the roller coaster has four cars that hold four passengers each so thats the maximum so how could a slow launch be one?

It's only because of the contact contamination from bordering Kentucky, they can't help it. But seriously, a tru fact: Indiana is home to the most active KKK members. So I think I can be politically incorrect to the most politically incorrect population perhaps in the country.

-James Dillaman