TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Does anyone have any info on these rides? I know that SDC's still exists, but does anyone know the story behind why Dollywood's stands idle and boarded up?

Here are some pictures of what you can still see of Dollywood's:

303417192_FloodedMine2.jpg.9e06a86d2a7033dd393519b31e20a335.jpg

1150193729_FloodedMine1.jpg.5d9a7d8759dc338d6bcaa8a0aac3383a.jpg

1179760815_FloodedMine4.jpg.e164690b7a3c2a579f3ea4da0e4be024.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I had no idea that Dollywood had one! I really liked the Silver Dollar City version. Kind of like an "Old Mill" ride that was converted into a shooting dark ride.

Would love to know why the Dollywood version no longer is open.

--Robb

I am not 100% on this, but I'm sure Dollywood's old Flooded Mine used to be where the Daredevil Falls log flume is now. Take a look at this map from 1994. What those pictures show is one of the many museums in the park, and the now defunct gift shop under it. I think the popular rumor was that is where the new Euro Fighter is going to be, if of course its not back by Thunderhead/Timber Tower. Sad they ever removed it, I also thought SDC's was amazing, seemed like a perfect ride for Dollywood.

Yes, I believe JJ is correct, the Flooded Mine wasn't under the "mountain" back by the Train station, it was in fact back in Craftman's Valley. I'm not totally certain, but I believe it may still be there, near DareDevil Falls.

The pictures posted earlier are that of the mining museum/mineral giftshop.

Yes, I believe JJ is correct, the Flooded Mine wasn't under the "mountain" back by the Train station, it was in fact back in Craftman's Valley. I'm not totally certain, but I believe it may still be there, near DareDevil Falls.

The pictures posted earlier are that of the mining museum/mineral giftshop.

Hrmmm, alright. So the closed off, boarded up stuff that's all flooded-mine-ish isn't where the flooded mine attraction actually was? Looks like I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 7.

Oh well, thanks for the info!

Correct. What you were looking at is the old Dolly musuem. With the opening of the new one (forgot which section of the park it is in), they haven't had any use for that building. Originally I thought that was going to be the location of the Mystery Mine, but it seems as though that will be up in a new area near Thunderhead.

Like everyone else, I thought the Flooded Mine at SDC was awesome, and it would be interesting to find out if the one at Dollywood is still standing (I don't think it is, though). I thought that was one of the real advantages SDC had over Dollywood (that, and the crooked house).

EDIT: I looked at a satellite photo and couldn't see it, and then I saw this on Wikipedia referring to 1997: "The Flooded Mine dark-ride is closed and demolished in October."

I used to go to what used to be Silver Dollar City, and Now its Dollywood, my family and i have season passes. We live close by.

The flooded mine ride was open, and in the same place for years. Why it is closed is beyond me, I may ask next week when we are there. I have rode it, and it is a dark ride in a metal type mine car through tunnels and flooded mines.

I do know that the old Log Flume is no longer at Dollywood, which was a disappointment to me, but If im not mistaken, Daredevil falls took its place.

If you have any general questions, I cn probbly help, I go every saturday, and have been going there since I was 7. Now I take my kids, and my 6 year old loves the Blazing Fury... Same as me when I was little.

^ Flooded Mine was closed and demolished when Daredevil Falls was installed and I don't believe Dollywood ever had a flume prior to that from looking at old maps and what not from the last 20+ years.

I don't like how DW is becoming more theme parkish ... at least we still have SDC kickin.

OK...the picture you posted is of the Inventor's Mansion. It was built when SDC took over Goldrush Junction. The Tunnel was used to connect the former GJ to the new Craftsman's Valley to form SDC. After Dollywood came in, Rivertown Junction became the new entrance complete with a new path connecting the two sides. The Mansion was converted to "Dolly Parton: Rags to Riches". The smaller tunnels that are boarded (including those converted into shops) connect back under the Mansion like a maze. They eventually come out at the ramp up to the Mansion behind the waterfall. You can still see the openings behind the waterfall for the paths back there. My sister and I used to chase each other around forever back there and thought it was cooler than any of the rides. BTW, the Inventor's Mansion was a "crooked house" type attraction.

The Flooded Mine was - as already stated - where Daredevil Falls is now. The first turn out of the station is still the same as the entrance to the mine. Makes me miss it every time. "You sweat a little water, you sweat a little blood and you might get out if the mine don't flood!"

Alan

I had always wondered if there was a crooked house at Dollywood much like there is at SDC in Branson. I figured if there was one, it probably was right where you said it is, as I could see the ramp by the waterfall next to the skillet potatoes and BBQ pulled pork place. Shame it is no longer operating, as I enjoyed the one in Branson.

Also big thanks for linking the Flooded Mine and Daredevil Falls.

While I still feel midly stupid for taking pictures in the wrong place, I'm now kind of glad that I did, because I'm learning all kinds of cool stuff!

A crooked house? That rocks! Too bad I missed it.

In any case, it's a pretty cool looking building, so I hope they'll do something with it again....

I'm a little late for this thread, but I thought I would post some old images of the Flooded Mine:

Flooded Mine facade

Flooded Mine area

Flooded Mine scene

Also, a 1981 Silver Dollar City Tennessee map. This illustrates how the park has grown over the years, as kamikazekurve pointed out above. The map features several removed rides and attractions - The Log Flume, The Butter Churn (Trabant), The Yo-Yo Swings, The Cloud Grabber (Six Flags Skyhook), and the Saloon.

Dollywood has quite a bit of history, though you don't seem to run across much about the park prior to the big rides.

Dang, I LOVED the flooded mine, its such a shame they made it Daredevil Falls. I mean DF is a cool ride and all but it doesn't compare to the nostalgic value which was FM. I really enjoyed the ride. If anyone has any more pictures of it, please post them. Oh and thanks for all the information about what the pictures were of. When I was there for the first time in a while 2 years ago, I was looking all over for the FM. I didn't realize it was gone. Grrrr. But I was wondering what all the flooded mine business was up in that cave.

Thanks for the info,

Nick C

Cloud Grabber was another clone of the SkyHook .. as the SkyHook people know about went from:

Brussels World Fair -> SFOT -> SFOG -> Magic Springs -> Junkyard.

I had always assumed it traveled like this:

Brussels World Fair -> SFOT -> SFOG -> Silver Dollar City TN -> Magic Springs -> Junkyard.

But yeah, I guess it is possible Silver Dollar City TN's was from somewhere else. The ride's tenure at Silver Dollar City was very short...it only lasted 2-3 seasons at the park (1980 - '82 or '83).

• 1 month later...

^Since you asked...

I've built up a collection of old Dollywood brochures, maps, and pics. Below is what is I've currently got on Photobucket.

From the early years (1961 - mid 70s) when the steam train was the primary attraction:

[LINKS REMOVED]

Silver Dollar City Tennessee (1977 - 1985)

[LINKS REMOVED]

Early Dollywood (late 80s)

[LINKS REMOVED]

The park didn't heavily advertise rides back then, which explains the lack of ride pics.

Theme Park Brochures.com also has some stuff:

1989 Brochure

1992 Guide Map

1994 Guide Map