TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Windows Vista

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid Vista, just as I was getting used to it. I was trying to install Nero 6.6 on my laptop and it isn't compatible, then nero wants me to pay money for new software. I already uninstalled Roxio that came installed, is there a way to reinstall Roxio? I don't have any install cds.

Cannot resist, must reply...

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac_ads4/podium_480x376.mov

And must add my fav.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xurD_HwKi2k

As for the the whole Vista, deal. I beta tested this one very early on through a pretty good amount of builds and knew it was nothing more then a rotten wooden house with new paint. Now the original path MS was going would of been good if it would of have been staple but still even that was based of OSX in concept, and features.

Thats how everyone got XP after all. When the original design which was more Vista like wasn't staple enough they broke into 2000 (nt5.0) code and gave you XP.

Either way they need to stop trying to make there os look like a mac and for once create a true foot print that has not already been done.

Windows could be much more if they actually tried to step out of others shadows.

Stupid Vista, just as I was getting used to it. I was trying to install Nero 6.6 on my laptop and it isn't compatible, then nero wants me to pay money for new software. I already uninstalled Roxio that came installed, is there a way to reinstall Roxio? I don't have any install cds.

That's Nero's Fault. Not Windows. But, here's the work around.

RUN IN XP MODE

The problems I mentioned earlier this year in this thread about some software not working were fixed using this feature. Heck, my most important software, video editing stuff, claimed to require a $60 upgrade. So I installed it in XP mode, then run in XP mode, and it works flawlessly. As does everything else that wasn't "compatible". It's the 3rd party software companies that don't want you to know this, because it's $$$ for them. You can't blame M$ for this one.

I've been working in IT for about 8 years now, and have found that there is one universal constant as far as end-users, or as Scott Adams puts it, induhviduals go.

Everyone p155es and moans about OS upgrades, including me. When I beta tested Vista, I hated it with the firey, white hot passion of 1000 suns. I thought that the way the folder structure was laid out in the GUI was straight trash. I was super p155ed that I kept asking if I wanted to allow stuff to run or make changes... I mean seriously Bill....

I'M A NETWORK ENGINEER! I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING

Windows Defender didn't have an easy off switch to turn off those freakin messages and half of my programs didn't work. Needless to say, I was happy that I had my happy-go-lucky, low maintenance, non resource intensive Linux box sitting there oh but a single flick of the KVM switch away.

It's now about a year and a half later. I stuck with the Vista on that one machine after all this time and after I got rid of the release candidate and actual bought a release, I must say that I'm happy. I find that I am able to do 90% of what I want to do under Vista, which is about the same percentage of what I could do under XP. I have Vista on my business laptop (which I use most of the time) and I have it on one of my three workstations at home. The only thing that I can't do under Vista that I can do under XP is administer to Active Directory from my local machine and I can't use SQL Query Analyzer without having to fire off a Virtual PC.

Oh well... That stuff will change when we get into Server 2008 in about a year.

We just got Vista and we are really happy with its preformance. It runs smoothley and has a lot of space (140 Gigabytes). There are little hiccups but it runs excellent. Although i do see the obvious copys from apple computers. For example, Widgets are the dashboard on an apple computer. The preformance of the system blows me away. If you have the chance, you should get it. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Vista (USED). Vista ran smoothly on my machine for a month, then a couple days ago, my computer wouldn't start. I tried messing around with the motherboard, video card, and the like. The computer would run for a few minutes, then shut down. Ultimately, I ended up uninstalling Vista and reinstalled XP. The computer now runs fine off XP.