TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island Cyclone

I have been on this roller coaster around 20 times, since it is only 45 minutes from my house, and there is NEVER a line. The back row is sick, there was so much airtime I seriously felt like I was going to fall out. When you come down, you hit the seat hard though. Has anyone else rode in the back row?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

You can take the NYC subway to Coney... But its a LONG-ASS ride. I think it takes like 45mins to get to(Havent done it in a few years).. But the subway stop is like 50 feet from Cyclone.

Anyways.. I'd like to take the time to say the CICyllone sucks and I wouldnt mind if the ride closed for good. Hell even the clones of it I have been on arnt even good.. And then Viper at SFGAm.. A clone of the CICyclone.. was better then the real thing!... I just dont get why people like the ride.

I was at Coney Island a few weeks ago! I usually take he N train to get there but I have t transfer from the R. When I was younger I used to live a block away from the F train which lets you out across the streat from the Cyclone. My famly is from Coney Island and Gerry Mendido (the su/lead op) at the Cyclone is my uncle. I love he Cyclone with all my life. I actually grew up watching it run and would go there in the winter and just look at it (I still do).

Also I think Iv'e been on it way more than you!

The last tme I counted I had 143 rides and that was a few years ag. I lost track. Als the best seat is the second from the last. it gies you the same amount of air as you'd get in the back, but with out the pain!

But my last isit to Coney Island wasn't that good.

-Dainan "Cyclone is my ride !" Rafferty

If James doesn't like the ride, it must be really good!

I only rode the Cyclone one day, like back in 1999. It was enjoyable, but extremely rough and I didn't really care for the trains, nor the padding. I will say that the airtime in the backseat was ejector though. Still, I think I enjoyed Viper at SFGAm, Georgia Cyclone, and even Texas Cyclone better than the original (probably because of the trains).

I'll find myself back in NYC sometime in August, so maybe I'll go back down to Astroland and ride Cyclone again a few times.

I for one never "got" the CI Cyclone. I also felt that the "infamous" back seat was very rough and didn't deliver anywhere NEAR the airtime as something like Balder or Colossos or hell, even Cyclops at Mt. Olympus!

Sure it's historical and all, but I just don't think it's everything it's been made out to be.

--Robb "Much prefers the SFOG and SFGAm versions of Cyclone." Alvey

I have a lot of love for The Cyclone and still try to ride it at least once a year. The subway ride from Manhattan is usually a little longer than a hour. But I think the Cyclone, Wonder Wheel and Nathan's are worth the trip.

If you do make it try to ride earlier in the day. Many wooides get better as they warm up, however the salt air will actually slow this oddity down later in the day.

I still have it as one of my two favorite wood coasters.

OK, start throwing the darts at me know, especially those of you who rode Voyage, Balder or El Toro with me earlier this year.

Q: What's a man without conviction behind his opinion?

A: Paul Reuben

Anyways.. I'd like to take the time to say the CICyllone sucks and I wouldnt mind if the ride closed for good. Hell even the clones of it I have been on arnt even good.. And then Viper at SFGAm.. A clone of the CICyclone.. was better then the real thing!... I just dont get why people like the ride.

To quote Half Baked - "Boo this man!"

I know, a lot of people hate "rib-cracker" woodies, but if you DO like them, this is certainly one of the best.

• 1 month later...
I for one never "got" the CI Cyclone. I also felt that the "infamous" back seat was very rough and didn't deliver anywhere NEAR the airtime as something like Balder or Colossos or hell, even Cyclops at Mt. Olympus!

Sure it's historical and all, but I just don't think it's everything it's been made out to be.

--Robb "Much prefers the SFOG and SFGAm versions of Cyclone." Alvey

Boo! I agree with you with the rough back seat, but liking other versions of the ride BETTER than the original? How is that possible? Sure, for some things it's true, like re-makes of Japanese horror movies, but c'mon, the CYCLONE! You don't ride it just for the airtime or just for the craziness of it, and DEFINITELY not just for the credit. You ride it for the experience of a roller coaster that is still somewhat ahead of its time. And also, Balder and Colossus were built for airtime. I don't know about Cyclops, but I know the Cyclone wasn't. The Cyclone was built almost 80 years ago, before any type of airtime-demanding coaster enthusiast. Also, it was built for people to have fun on it. That's why every coaster is built, for fun! The roller coaster probably would have died out if people just went on them for certain elements like airtime, or just for the "credit"! I have never heard of a roller coaster that JUST caters to the needs and wants of only coaster enthusiasts. Sure, most coasters do that, but ALL coasters provide fun for somebody. I say, if you can't appreciate the FUN of the Cyclone, you probably can't fully appreciate any roller coaster. I apologize if I seem like I am trying to say that I know roller coasters more than Robb (which I don't, for sure), but I am just trying to get this out in the open. HAVE FUN ON ROLLER COASTERS!!!!

PS Canobiefan, the Cyclone is a national landmark. It won't be torn down any time soon.

I was in New York two days ago, and I got to ride it. I thought it was pretty good, a little rough, but nothing over the top. It was nice and intense, but certainly not the greatest wood coaster ever (especially after riding Phoenix a few weeks ago).

I'll give my 2 cents and see if it makes sense to all regardless of how much you like the CI Cyclone. The first time I rode the CI Cyclone I thought it was good but I was expecting more. But every time I ride it again I get it more because I see what it is really about and what is unique about it.

First, everyone talks about the back seat and the first drop airtime. Balder, El Toro and Colossos all have more of an extreme up and over floater airtime where Cyclone type coasters have more of a set up, ejector type airtime. They're very different animals. As far as Cyclone drops go, I do believe that the GA Cyclone has much more intense airtime than the CI version. Viper at SFGAm probably closer to the CI in the amount of airtime though they're slightly different and have different lapbars. As for the CI back seat, it is old school rough but the next to last seat is surpsingly smooth. It's nice and padded more than the clones.

The key to the CI Cyclone is that it's drops are very deep which is an old school feature. A bigger key is the curves. The curves create some severe laterals and with no seat dividers you feel it. In general while GA Cyclone and Viper are great on the drops, the CI Cyclone is good (and steep) on the drops but it tosses you all around throughout the ride with those four bench cars. I think these are the keys to the CI Cylone.

I would say that's possible because the ride is newer and therefore less painful. I have yet to ride the CI Cyclone and will reserve judgement until next year when I do ride it.

Robb and Elissa actually saw me lose my Pscyclone virginity at SFMM. The first time I saw them I was nursing my bruises on it's brake run. That's the only version I've ever been on. SHAME! The original is 3 hours away...