TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your Job

^Everyone I told about the clock story last weekend did a double take. My aunt, which is a corporate recruiter, dropped her jaw when I told her as well. My father, who has had only one job for 40 years, tried to scold me about leaving my job, that is until I told him about the clock. "Oh. ok." was all he said.

I just want to have a job where people aren't acting crazy. Is that too much to ask for? I always end up with a crazy story!

I put it in my book I'm writing because people need to hear about how ridiculous some of these employers are. Hopefully I can publish it and change careers.

Terry

P.S. I've gotten my share of professors with heavy accents... but it's helped me in my career because I've worked with people with heavy accents and can figure out what they are saying... I have an accent as well (I've been told), especially when I start speaking fast... the country boy just jumps right out!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an unemployeed bum...

Actually if you're curious most law schools limit the amount you work, and during your first year you're not allowed to work at all. So I'm enjoying a fun filled year living on nothing but student loans.

I looked at my last post and realized I didn't tell you guys about the clock!

The owner decided that people that came in late to work would have to walk around the office with a HUGE clock. They also decided that people couldn't leave the premises for breaks, since some people would go to the bank to get money or get coffee, since the stuff they provided was crap.

Way to make the place a nice place to work.

The company that I'm working at now made it a point to tell me that if I wanted to leave for an hour outside time allotted for breaks and lunch, I could. Also in some instances I could work from home.

Terry

^^^I can't believe that, in this day and age, that employers are still overly critical of when people start. Unless you're working at McDs, BK, or somewhere that you have to punch a timeclock, then why do you care what time I show up?

At my job, I can come in at 5, 6, 8, whenever. I can leave at 2, 3, whenever. I know that I put time in at home and on the weekends and so do they.

Good for you Terry to get out of there!

^Exactly. But I think they're coming close at my job. It's more based on did you finish what you were supposed to do rather than a time clock, which I like. Finished that program spec and nothing to do? Tell your boss you're done with what was assigned and go home early.

Although it's the third day working there, I'm thinking that I'm now doing substancially less for substancially more. That's cool too. I'm only doing one thing and one thing only which I like. I took off several hats that I've previously wore to wear one totally different hat. I still miss my programming but I finally met with my old VP and he had told everyone, once he saw my resume come across his desk, how strong my problem solving and technical writing skills were. He said how when I started I saw how nothing was documented and I went through while I was learning the systems and created tech docs for everything and created a repository for it and he wanted me to do the same for them. He also said with my tech background I can also understand things from the back end as well to provide a thorough analysis of the problems they may have.

So I was impressed that he remembered all that, so it made me feel a bit better about changing roles. So at least now I can work on my analysis skills for a few years and move more towards management. He'll also leave the developer door open for me if I want to go back to it later as well.

I've been wanting to work at a larger company so I guess I got my wish because there are about 20 people in the IT department and 15,000 overall. Some of the side benefits are decent, like discounts on computers, new cars, Vonage, flowers, etc. And my roommate wants me to get the pet insurance for his animals.

Terry

I operate the POS roller coaster SheiKra at Busch Gardens

~Matthew

You do realize that WORK is not the same as PLAY. It is an insult to all of us who work everyday to listen to your constant whining. Just a couple of weeks ago you were saying how great this was.

I operate the POS roller coaster SheiKra at Busch Gardens

~Matthew

Did you have anything to do with the fire?

Park News - (10/15/07) Screamscape sources tell us that SheiKra could be down for a few days after a small fire broke out in the ride’s computer room. No one is sure how long it may take to make repairs and get the ride running again. If anyone knows more, please let me know.

I like my job at SheiKra! Its amazing! Its just that SheiKra is a POS ride. It breaks down like every hour. But when it is working, it is great!!

^ And Old Town after that.

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot about the acting career.

Meh... I gave up on wanting to be an actor. Instead I am going to go to college to be a plastic surgeon.

~Matthew

I like my job at SheiKra! Its amazing! Its just that SheiKra is a POS ride. It breaks down like every hour. But when it is working, it is great!!

So it's great when it's working and doing it's job like it should, but a "POS" when it gives up and quits on you? Hmm, sounds familiar.

Meh... I gave up on wanting to be an actor. Instead I am going to go to college to be a plastic surgeon.

~Matthew

Getting into medical school is a pain in the butt. Surgical residencies are a brutal, soul smashing experience. Matching into a highly competitive specialty is another pain in the butt. And you'll be competing against some amazing students for that coveted plastic surgery residency. Students that frankly are a lot more intelligent and motivated than you present yourself as being. Not being able to stick with one thing for more than a few weeks doesn't make you a great candidate to become a surgeon.