TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ex-Gay Camps

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Maybe. The only reason I don't think that is because when I talk to some of my gay friends, they say they've know when they were just 6! Which to me is a little strange. I guess I never really knew I was gay til 8th grade.

That's cool Taylor, I'm sure it's different for different people. There are guys I went to school with who after graduation suddenly realised they were gay having never had the thought cross their mind before. On the other hand, my best friend knew at the age of 6 that he was attracted to men. To each their own.

^Yeah, see, for me I can honestly say that when I was "a kid" I liked both guys and girls, but once I started to mature I realized I was attracted to guys, and not girls. I mean, I can look at woman and say that i am asthetically attracted to them, because i have an eye for such things, but I would never even consider doing anything with them just because it doesn't appeal to me.

but yet knowing the way they put it, it was more like a shot to the heart.

and you're to blame...you give love a bad name.

Sorry bro, I couldn't resist. I'm just gonna say that as a Christian, my views on homosexuality basically consist of what someone else said much earlier in this thread. I disagree with homosexuality; yet as a practicing Christian, I'm taught by the word of God to treat every individual as an equal, regardless of their lifestyle choices. In other words, it's okay to disagree with what I feel is a sin, but continue to treat and respect each other as human beings. And that's exactly what I continue to do.

He who is without sin cast the first stone, right? It'd be nice if we could all adhere to that, huh?

i dont get why, for some people, religion would come before love. Why force yourself not to love someone by putting yourself in a camp? Not only do you lose your identity, but you let extreme conformist control who you are in this world.

but anyhow.. do they have any success stories?

I think it can be a choice with some people - and with other people it isn't. What sets up your gender identity and sexual orientation is a combination of biological, psychological and environmental factors. You can't just say there is male and female - and that heterosexuality is default.

Feminine females that like men

Feminine females that like women

Feminine females that like both

Feminine females that like neither

Masculine females that like men

Masculine females that like women

Masculine females that like both

Masculine females that like neither

Masculine men that like women

Masculine men that like men

Masculine men that like both

Masculine men that like neither

Feminine men that like women

Feminine men that like men

Feminine men that like both

Feminine men that like neither

That is 16 different combinations right there - and that is only factoring in gender identity and sexual orientation. There are a plethora of other factors to keep in mind - as well as even more ways those factors can play with each other.

I believe I read somewhere that gender identity mostly comes from a chemical process that occurs as a developing pre-birth baby. It is then developed through enviromental influences.

So anyways - I know I am long winded - I am just saying that while homosexuality for some people may be a choice - for many people, it is not.

i dont get why, for some people, religion would come before love. Why force yourself not to love someone by putting yourself in a camp? Not only do you lose your identity, but you let extreme conformist control who you are in this world.

but anyhow.. do they have any success stories?

Because some people are really pig-headed. They find out that their kid is gay and they think it must be some mental disorder that needs to be cured right away. They aren't willing to accept them for who they are. It is like someone said earlier about being sent to Baseball camp - their parents are forcing them to keep working on their baseball - not considering - maybe the kid doesn't like baseball.

And yeah there have been "success" stories. There was one woman who used to be lesbian, and now is straight - and enjoys it - and says the program saved her life. It was in that article about that kid who got sent to the camp, who wrote about it in his blog. But there have also been alot of non-successes - from the camp's point of view.

^ true. yet, although we know those types may be considered pig-headed. I'm trying to define what root cause can make a person narrow-minded to not consider the consequences being made to their child/friend/etc., going to camp. There has got to be some form of cognitive reasoning for this.

I almost laugh at the fact these parents can be so naive to believe other people can play god on their own children. The paradoxes of religion and morality is baffling.

well overall.. in my studies, being homo-s is a biological/chemical occurence, and realization is a psychological effect... well i can rant on about this.. but i already have in the other gay thread.. ha..

You are what you are, sexually-speaking.

And eventually - you find out.

Then, you have to accept 'the fact'.

Or not.

And end up getting more miserable in the long term.

IMhO.

I just thought about it for a while. I think that you always have an attraction to either men, women or both. This is NOT choice. Sexuality as a choice could be like if a guy was religious but was attracted to men. He then basically forces himself to be straight. Or he is gay or something then becomes religious and stops. You don't hear too many stories about such things though. I can understand how hard it would be for a gay guy to start like women and not men. It would be like me trying to start liking men and not women. It would take a lot of will power and faith.

Which brings me to my next point. I think some people are basically destined to be gay. If they had an attraction to men at a very early age and weren't religious or anything, then it would be SOOO hard for them to be straight.

First, sorry I'm late, if I repeat anything said earlier in this thread, I'm sorry. 10 Pages is a lot. LOL ANYWAY...

I sort of know a LOT about these camps. (I know a few who have attended them, and one has fought and exposed them on national television for what they really are! I am also an openly gay Christian.) They are downright dangerous. Suicide rates of people attending these camps are extremely high, and the ones who survive that have mental problems later in life. These camps are not about religion, or even the well being of their attendees, they're about prejudice and money. It's easier to hate and sweep problems under a rug while making money at it, than it is to love and accept. These camps choose the easy way, playing on the fears of parents who don't truly love their own children, and are more worried about their reputation at Sunday services.

Comparing this to a concentration camp is a tad off. I'd call it a mental ward run by untrained staff, prescription drugs, and stun guns.

I'm Jewish and I don't think concentration camp is the right word to describe it, although I do believe there are people who wish to kill all gays.

These camps look like brainwash camps and as I wrote in here before that terrible.

I am sure there are organizations who can help teens who don't wish to get to camps like that. This is child abuse and any kids that don't wish to go there should contact these organization. This is a question of child rights.

Parents like that are 100% abusive and the kids should find another home.

I live in Israel and I know that in the U.S. the freedom of Speech and rights are above anything else - so howcome is it possible that such camps exist ? I just dont get it.

instructor points to the board "this is a penis"

the "class" - "ooh yay"

instrusctor "NO BAD!'

instructor flips board

"this is a vagina"

"class" - "aaahhhh ew"

instructor - "NO YOUR SUPPOSED TO LIKE IT!"

hmmm idk..... they should let them do what ever they want, be who they wana be. He should try to escape!

NO why doesnt he just say im straight...then leave and lead a secret gay life?!

They are downright dangerous. Suicide rates of people attending these camps are extremely high, and the ones who survive that have mental problems later in life.

That's the best "tear it down" support I've read, and if true, I say that they should be re-examined.

Thanks for the insight Dennis.

It's quite a well known quote from some historian or poet or other, one of my favourite quotes. Dan Brown sure as hell didn't write it, but you might be right about it being used in the book somewhere, yeah.

He did use it, but like you said, it's a thought and saying that has been around MUCH longer than Dan Brown has. Free thinking didn't start with DaVinci Code.

NO why doesnt he just say im straight...then leave and lead a secret gay life?!

Possibly because it's more difficult and emotionally straining than you would think?