Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 191: Nik Wallenda to perform in Galaxy Theater for summer
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did the donkey fairy give me this title?
User avatar
 
Posts: 146
Joined: 08 Apr 2011
Gender: None specified
Age: 19

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:56 pm

From what ive heard (which is correct). There will still be a haunted house and graveyard, they just nixed the Dark Waters theme and the boat ride. I'm guessing this has something to with a logistical problem creating a boat ride.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!
 
Posts: 195
Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby coasterkid124 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:43 pm

I can totally see why the park would scrap the Dark Waters idea, but it was a really bad move posting it on the website before deciding what would happen this year. Fright Fest always had the family fun too, with a trick or treat trail and face painting, etc. But unlike Lake Monster and Sidewinder this one was set in stone according to the website. The park would definitely get more visitors marketing it as Dark Waters, because it would bring in teens, as well as families. Once teens see that the event is still basically the same, there would be more of a chance of them visiting the park instead of Frightworld or other local haunted houses. Just my opinion, but as long as Herschend does build a thrilling attraction in the future, I will be satisfied.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 02 May 2013
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Golddisk » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:45 pm

coasterkid124 wrote:Once teens see that the event is still basically the same, there would be more of a chance of them visiting the park instead of Frightworld or other local haunted houses. Just my opinion, but as long as Herschend does build a thrilling attraction in the future, I will be satisfied.


The park is still going to have haunted houses this year. The only part that was cancelled was Dark Waters, which, although may have been one of the more advertised parts, wasn't the only part.
Check out my site: Thesurge.net, which provides news about tech, electronics, and entertainment.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: Depew, NY
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby SbSteveZ » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:41 pm

coasterkid124 wrote:I can totally see why the park would scrap the Dark Waters idea, but it was a really bad move posting it on the website before deciding what would happen this year. Fright Fest always had the family fun too, with a trick or treat trail and face painting, etc. But unlike Lake Monster and Sidewinder this one was set in stone according to the website. The park would definitely get more visitors marketing it as Dark Waters, because it would bring in teens, as well as families. Once teens see that the event is still basically the same, there would be more of a chance of them visiting the park instead of Frightworld or other local haunted houses. Just my opinion, but as long as Herschend does build a thrilling attraction in the future, I will be satisfied.


Practically what I was saying was summed up in the first 2 sentences of this post. if they didn't think it totally through, they should not have posted it. I was upset with that. And I mean come on. This thread was blown out of proportion for the one survey posted. That was what was insane. not the survey itself. My thing with Darien is the inconsistency with reveals, and their way of executing events such as dark waters. Don't me wrong I love Darien. But It could be better. I'm pretty much over my "poo-poo" fit from earlier. Usually I'm very bias over Darien. The news of Dark Waters was just a big let down. So sorry to the Writers/Readers of the thread! :) Anyways. I don't think Herschend has really gotten a hold of the Fall Event at Darien yet. I mean, not saying they aren't trying but If i remember correctly, they have had a different name for "fright fest" every year so far. The basis of the event is always there but the name. I think that's funny. Maybe we need to float away from "Fright Fest" if that name is literally that hard to keep. just IMO. Any-who sorry again about my little outburst. I agree RoS is the "poo-poo" but would it kill 'em to finish the new coat of paint? (By the ejector hills and the breaks) :b
Total Coasters: 23 Total Steel: 19 Total Wood: 4
Last Coaster: Ride of Steel @ Darien Lake
RIDE ON!

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!
 
Posts: 195
Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby coasterkid124 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:23 pm

^This. I myself love Darien Lake, and always will, but things are getting ridiculous. Between the in-park problems, and things like cancelling Dark Waters are uncalled for. What's next? The park announces a new ride and cancels it (example Turbulence at Hersheypark). The park is managed by Herschend, but it does not seem like it. Of course, as we all realize, the park was in terrible condition when it was taken over, but maybe it is time for some older rides and buildings to go. I could keep going on and on, but by now we all know the problems. The process of changing the park will take time, but the whole theme doesn't have to be family all of the time. Dark Waters would be for everyone. Although it seems like there will still be a haunted house and the "Carnevil", attractions like the haunted boat ride would make the park number one haunted attraction around. These are just my opinions, and I am not saying that the park would be perfect with these ideas. They would be a good start though.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 628
Joined: 19 May 2009
Location: Wishing I was in BBQ Country
Gender: Male
Age: 20

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Coaster Cow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:57 am

coasterkid124 wrote: What's next? The park announces a new ride and cancels it (example Turbulence at Hersheypark).

What?

coasterkid124 wrote: Dark Waters would be for everyone.

WHAT???

Come on man, it's like you half read my post (I do appreciate the concessions thrown in there) but then just jumped off the enthusiast deep-end.
"There''s a Lieutenant Crunch here to see you."
"Lieutenant Crunch?"
"Actually, I've been promoted. It''s Captain Crunch now."

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 40397
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:11 am

coasterkid124 wrote:^This. I myself love Darien Lake, and always will, but things are getting ridiculous. Between the in-park problems, and things like cancelling Dark Waters are uncalled for. What's next? The park announces a new ride and cancels it (example Turbulence at Hersheypark). The park is managed by Herschend, but it does not seem like it. Of course, as we all realize, the park was in terrible condition when it was taken over, but maybe it is time for some older rides and buildings to go. I could keep going on and on, but by now we all know the problems. The process of changing the park will take time, but the whole theme doesn't have to be family all of the time. Dark Waters would be for everyone. Although it seems like there will still be a haunted house and the "Carnevil", attractions like the haunted boat ride would make the park number one haunted attraction around. These are just my opinions, and I am not saying that the park would be perfect with these ideas. They would be a good start though.

Wow. Talk about airing of pointless grievances. Sounds like you just need to stop going to the park because you really don't have a clue how theme parks are run and the challenges that go into it.

It frustrates me to read a post like this because anyone that has read our forums for any length of time I would hope would be better educated on parks to never write a post like this, but it seems we have either failed to get through to you, or you're so close minded to the world of park operations that you'll be we get it.

If a park ever "cancels" something that's usually a sign that someone figured that it would not be a good idea or something that wouldn't see a return and the last thing you want to do is put forth a bad product to your customers or something that will leave you in the red. That is by far WORSE than canceling something.

UGH, theme park geeks disgust me sometimes...

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!
 
Posts: 195
Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby coasterkid124 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:03 pm

The Fall Family Fun Fest concept has failed before. Back in 2007, the park tried this, and it failed miserably. So the following year, Fright Fest returned. Obviously, these two events are basically the same, just a different theme. Either way, it doesn't matter to me because I will not return to the park until next year, when hopefully some of the issues are cleared up. I am worried that the park has lost many visitors this year, because of the poor service. The only way I see them turning it around is a new roller coaster, or large expansion plus the fixing up of the park in the following years. CNL will dish out the cash for the park, it is up to Herschend to provide the ideas.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: Depew, NY
Gender: Male

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby SbSteveZ » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:58 pm

^ IMO, Darien Lake has a lot of potential, I agree that the coaster would boost guests. But, I'm sure that Side Winder Idea would do the same. Sure I'd rather see a roller coaster but If they have a thrill ride and take care of some internal issues such as 2 train operation which I could see as them trying to fix up the trains more in depth to be sure they run nice. I remember someone saying Six Flags did not keep up with train maintenance so that's a possibility. I was happy with my visit to Darien this year. Their new show was Amazing. Blast Off! Was interesting. It is your average launch tower. The only real "problem" I had was the rain. Otherwise it was a good day. So I wouldn't say they lost too many people this year. But I can say from an enthusiasts stand point. We see things a lot more different than the General public does. So where we see them failing. (though I wouldn't necessarily say it so blatantly just yet) They see it as maybe an "off day" Which I can relate too. Anyways. 2014 I believe will be a happy surprise at Darien. only time will tell! :)
Total Coasters: 23 Total Steel: 19 Total Wood: 4
Last Coaster: Ride of Steel @ Darien Lake
RIDE ON!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 16 Sep 2013
Gender: None specified

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Sk610 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:38 am

I couldn't agree more that DL seems to be in a bit of trouble with all the bad reviews and such coming out about poor service and poor staffing. On the other hand, HFE knows how to run a park. Let them do their jobs. I am 100% sure that they have a plan that may span as far out as ten years. The first thing was some new family rides. Why family rides? Cuz families spend money especially on souvenirs and food, teens and most enthusiasts do not. Families will provide the park with additional cash to fix what needs fixing. If you look every HFE park is a family friendly park with great shows and something for everyone. DL does not fit that mold yet, but I guarantee it will. PARC did more harm than good and now HFE has a mess to clean up.

On the Halloween festival idea dl has always had issues staffing it. I really think they should just close around the third weekend in sept and call it a year. I am still holding out hope for great things next year as ROS was announced in October and all footers were poured while fright fest was going on. They could be out there pouring them all this week and most wouldn't even notice them. I do think that good things will come, we just have to be patient

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron