Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Page 290: CNL to sell Darien Lake
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby Willow » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:29 pm

I Googled Dark Waters at Darien Lake. The total of the extra fee for the Halloween attractions will be $10, if you go to all of them. They are reducing the park admission to $19.99, if you buy tickets in advance. When I called to find out what rides would be closed during Dark Waters, they didn't have the information yet.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coasterkid124 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 am

Corn Popper is a definite out. With the staff shortages, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mind Eraser area was closed too like a couple of years ago.
My Perfect Day: Drinking an ice cold beer out of the Stanley Cup while riding an Intamin

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Tdsblo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:13 pm

I don't ever remember the park having these issues with previous owners. Is the hr department just ineffective or are these legitimate issues out of the control of the park? I suspect the former. Not good either way.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Geauga Dog » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:45 pm

In past visits that I've made during this time of year the Mind Eraser/UFO/Sleigh Ride side of the park was always closed off and in the process of winterizing. Viper's exit would be re-routed towards the entrance of the Galaxy Theater.

I do remember one year, however, the entire park was open and they turned the park into a pay-per-ride ticket or POP wristband for a reduced price. I believe this was the first year under PARC.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:34 pm

That area of the park will still be open. Minus Grizzly Run, and Thunder Rapids (likely Shipwreck Falls too).

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Willow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:31 pm

I just called and spoke to an employee at Darien Lake. They said they have cancelled Dark Waters???? It is now going to be Family Fall Fun, with no haunted event. But, it you buy a ticket at Topps Market, the price of admission is only $19.99.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coasterkid124 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Looks like another blunder made by the park. I remember a family type fall fest a few years ago, and it was a huge failure. I was almost tempted to go to Dark Waters, but now the park is getting plain ridiculous.
My Perfect Day: Drinking an ice cold beer out of the Stanley Cup while riding an Intamin

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby SbSteveZ » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:47 am

What??? No Dark Waters?? What a let down! I usually don't do haunted events, but Dark Waters got me somewhat interested. That Child in the Water thing seemed like it was going to be amazing. Darien lake needs to realize that what they're doing is causing people to not only get annoyed with them, but starting to simply forget about the park. For gods sake Cedar Point is only 4 hours away, Canada's Wonderland is a stroll up north. At this point I'm saying they aren't really worth it anymore. They had better blow us away in 2014. If not; Goodbye Darien Lake! No offense to the park, but they need to get off their high horse and realize they are NOT as good of a park as they used to be. Do inside work. if you spread a rumor, guard it more carefully as to not upset enthusiasts. Start to care for your rides a little better and if you run into low staffing. close down the smaller less thrilling rides (Emitting kiddie land of course) so people don't waste their time to be there with 3 of the 6 coasters closed. Ok i think i'm done with my little rant. At this point though. No Lake Monster, will be a disaster for this failing park... Ride On Folks! :br
Total Coasters: 29 Total Steel: 25 Total Wood: 4
Last Coaster: GateKeeper @ Cedar Point
RIDE ON!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Coaster Cow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:38 pm

SbSteveZ wrote:What??? No Dark Waters?? What a let down! I usually don't do haunted events, but Dark Waters got me somewhat interested. That Child in the Water thing seemed like it was going to be amazing. Darien lake needs to realize that what they're doing is causing people to not only get annoyed with them, but starting to simply forget about the park. For gods sake Cedar Point is only 4 hours away, Canada's Wonderland is a stroll up north. At this point I'm saying they aren't really worth it anymore. They had better blow us away in 2014. If not; Goodbye Darien Lake! No offense to the park, but they need to get off their high horse and realize they are NOT as good of a park as they used to be. Do inside work. if you spread a rumor, guard it more carefully as to not upset enthusiasts. Start to care for your rides a little better and if you run into low staffing. close down the smaller less thrilling rides (Emitting kiddie land of course) so people don't waste their time to be there with 3 of the 6 coasters closed. Ok i think i'm done with my little rant. At this point though. No Lake Monster, will be a disaster for this failing park... Ride On Folks! :br

Stop. All of you. Now. Reality check: Herschend is pursuing a path to make DL more family friendly. That's good. Remember the bitching over the Six Flags-era? Now keeping this is mind, it is time to review some key reasons why no, the park is not headed towards disaster.

First: the upkeep is a work in progress. DL renovated the boardwalk area this year and put in Rowdy's Ridge last year. Again, marketing to families is the keyword here. Yes, the operations could be better but some sane minds have noted that the transition to Herschend is still going and that a lot of stuff was in pretty bad shape when they got it. Have patience. The staffing issue is purely economics; I can pretty much guarantee that Herschend has some very smart people working on it who understand it better than we do.

Second: the lack of Lake Monster and Dark Waters will not kill the park. The GP still thinks RoS is the poo-poo, and it really still is. It is not new, but it clearly satisfies the needs of the GP for top-notch thrills. If they are not making a big vacation out of it, they will not take the hassle of driving 2-4 hours and possibly over the border to go to CW or CP. DL is local and clearly the only player in the local market for the greater Buffalo/Rochester area. The addition of Blast Off! likely satisfied the immediate need for marketing and keeping the park moving forward (again, through the eyes of the GP).

Third: Family improvements are a good thing. Not having Dark Waters means that they will have a family friendly event. This. Is. Good. Again, look at the Herschend parks around the country and recognize that they are really good at making big bucks off of family entertainment. It will take time for DL to reach that level but Herschend knows what they are doing.

Fourth and finally: This is speaking to the bit how "if you spread a rumor, guard it more carefully as to not upset enthusiasts". Why? Please please please open up your minds to the fact that as enthusiasts we are close-minded and fail to see improvements objectively. DL owes what they owe to their paying customers. I cannot stress enough how angry this quote makes me because you are blaming DL for how you (all the enthusiasts) blew a survey out of proportion. This is stupid.

So no, no one is "forgetting about the park", and the management is not on "their high horse". I know I'm yelling at a brick wall but please guys, recognize that (as has been pointed out many a time on this site and even on this thread) THE PARK OWES NOTHING TO THE ENTHUSIASTS UNLESS WE PROVIDE SOMETHING TO THEM, and our occasional attendance only puts us on the equal level of every other paying customer who walks through the gates.
"There''s a Lieutenant Crunch here to see you."
"Lieutenant Crunch?"
"Actually, I've been promoted. It''s Captain Crunch now."

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Geauga Dog » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 pm

^Very well written. Thank you for posting.

I totally understand why parks do surveys to get an idea of what their public would like to see at the park but when you're possibly proposing rides like Lake Monster, the giant frisbee, and also make mention of Dark Waters it will get many people's hopes up. Unfortunately nine times out of ten they will be let down. Darien is quite overdue a major new addition but I also would rather they continue to spend their resources doing what they've done by reinvigorating different areas of the park. I didn't get to the park this year to see the Boardwalk but I was very impressed with how Rowdy's Ridge turned out last year.

As much as Halloween is BIG business for parks this time of year I don't think Herschend does any big Halloween events at Dollywood or Silver Dollar City but family fall festivals at those parks. I was not surprised when I read they cancelled Dark Waters in favor of having a more toned down fall festival.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!