California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pg.932 - Coverage of CGA's Haunt Media Event
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby dannyboy13 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:49 am

Quality Inn Santa Clara Convention Center is not bad. I stayed there a couple years ago. Cheap, clean.... about all you can ask for, and maybe 5 minutes drive from the park

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Avatar with an IHOP, right across the street from the park.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby milo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Thanks for everyone's input. Very helpful.

BTW, is Moffett Field still active, as far as aircraft flying over?

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:38 pm

milo wrote:Thanks for everyone's input. Very helpful.

Moffett Field is still very much active these days. It's not uncommon to see a fighter jet flying over the western Santa Clara Valley, though Moffett's flight path is miles west of CGA.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby milo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:09 am

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes and ears open. Former Air Force brat here. Just miss the sounds and sights of jets.

XYZ wrote:

Moffett Field is still very much active these days. It's not uncommon to see a fighter jet flying over the western Santa Clara Valley, though Moffett's flight path is miles west of CGA.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby laqueefa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:01 am

I'll throw my hat in and suggest the Plaza Inn Suites: http://www.theplazasuites.com Every room is a two bedroom suite, they have a free shuttle, free happy hour from 5-7pm, and sometimes you can get a free breakfast thrown in as well. I live in the area and have stayed there just to "get away" without getting away. They had a romance package that came with two free movie tickets for the AMC by the park, free bottle of sparking wine, the free cocktail hour, breakfast, etc. Its really a nice place with plenty of free parking.
Tigga, please!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:40 am

I went to the park this past Sunday for the first time of the year, had a slightly amusing experience. We got there pretty early (maybe 10:30) and the park was relatively empty. The wait for Gold Striker was ~20 minutes, so we went on it twice then. It has held up beautifully, I forgot how good it is. Also got to ride it in the front for the first time, as there were no fast lane riders and we happened to be at the front of the next group to go. It was awesome, I loved having no one in front of us, especially on the stretch that runs past the station, it really feels like we're flying (although the air time in the back is still the best). We then wandered around the rest of the park (I need to learn the lesson to not go on Gold Striker first, since it makes everything else feel extra slow). Grizzly was closed, although they were running trains on it.

Then the kind of amusing bit happened. We got over to Flight Deck, and the line was almost empty. I turns out it was down for some reason, and the attendant at the front of the line had been telling people to leave instead of saying it might be fixed but they didn't know. That seemed odd to me. We asked if we could stay in line and he mumbled something, so we walked past him and got in line for the front. There were a few other people at different places in line, one group in front of us for the front seats. The technicians and supervisors were there, and they were running trains so we figured it would get back up at some time. In maybe 15 minutes they let the first load on, and we moved up to the front of the front row line. No one else had gotten back in line (we think the first attendant was at the main entrance to the ride turning people away). By the time the first train was dispatched and they were loading the second one, still no one else was in line. So the train loaded with just me and my buddy in the front and they sent us off, with the operator wishing us a pleasant "private flight." How often do you think it happens that Flight Deck has only two customers on it? It seems like it must be rare.

Then another thing I hadn't seen happened. The line was a little more crowded but still basically empty, so we went around to ride it again. We asked the attendant standing at the top of the stairs if we could ride in the front and he "no, that's only for Fast Lane holders." We looked around and there were clearly no fast lane holders, in fact there was no one in the front row line at all! We didn't feel like arguing, so we went to the back row instead, but the front was completely empty and they weren't letting people on it. What the hell is up with that? Is that a new policy, or just a new employee who is following the letter of the rules a little too closely?

Of course, after they loaded us onto the next train, the ride went down again and they made us get off, so we wandered back to Gold Striker for a couple more rides before heading home, thankful that we had managed to get a private ride on Flight Deck before it broke again.

So has anyone ever been the only person on Flight Deck/Top Gun before? And, does anyone know what the deal is with this new policy of not letting people wait for the front of flight deck? I understood it for Gold Striker last season because it was brand new and so crowded, but now Flight Deck too? And with the front row empty??? Lame. I should send an email to management, along with my regular complaint of "Rue le Dodge" being turned into a lame, boring, worthless, one-way non-bumping bumper car ride...

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby laqueefa » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:58 pm

An old friend of mine is at the park for a private event and just posted this picture...

Security Guard: "Thank you guys! We're going to use this in our training video for 'What you can do at the park to get kicked out'"

:lmao: :lol: :lmao:
Tigga, please!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby disney4me2001 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 pm

CrazedZooChimp wrote:So has anyone ever been the only person on Flight Deck/Top Gun before? And, does anyone know what the deal is with this new policy of not letting people wait for the front of flight deck? I understood it for Gold Striker last season because it was brand new and so crowded, but now Flight Deck too? And with the front row empty??? Lame. I should send an email to management, along with my regular complaint of "Rue le Dodge" being turned into a lame, boring, worthless, one-way non-bumping bumper car ride...

Not on Flight Deck (I've never even been to CGA), but I got to do it on Batman at SFMM once. It was during ERT at WCB 2010, and they were running two trains. I got to the station as they were sending out the first train empty (because no one was there, and I got to the gates after they were closed already), and then the people on the 2nd train all got off! And on top of that, it was my birthday haha! So that was my most memorable ride on Batman...cool to hear that you got to do the same thing on Flight Deck!

As for the weird policy, I'd send an email.
Feel free to add me on The Simpsons Tapped Out: 1337me_69

Disney College Program Alumnus, Disneyland Resort
    Spring 2011 (Custodial Guest Services- Disney California Adventure and Downtown Disney)
    Summer 2012 (Resort Transportation and Parking)
    Summer 2013 (Tomorrowland Attractions- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage)

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:38 pm

CrazedZooChimp wrote:So has anyone ever been the only person on Flight Deck/Top Gun before? And, does anyone know what the deal is with this new policy of not letting people wait for the front of flight deck? I understood it for Gold Striker last season because it was brand new and so crowded, but now Flight Deck too? And with the front row empty??? Lame. I should send an email to management, along with my regular complaint of "Rue le Dodge" being turned into a lame, boring, worthless, one-way non-bumping bumper car ride...

Flight Deck frequently had a huge line for the front row, it even spilled down past the station occasionally, so it doesn't surprise me that they no longer accept requests for the front.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!