TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mountain/Alpine Coaster or Alpine Slide Discussion Thread

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry, I was operating on a very old slow computer, and I had all I could do to ask my question. Sorry for the bother.

No my bad. If I had been looking at that same post on my Blackberry I would not have seen the image. Sometimes I forget everyone might not be using an optimal device.

If we're talking POVs, heres one I took of the tobbogan at the Plymouth Ski & Snowboard park in the UK:

It was fun because it was raining and I was the only one using it. A wet track means your back wheels are able to slide sideways a bit more easily in the turns, so you can corner faster with less fear of a spill.

• 5 months later...

For those interested I have compiled a comprehensive list of Alpine/Mountain coasters in North America. I have included the opening year, approximate length of each coaster and the one time rider cost:

Wiegand Installations

HAITI

Labadee (Royal Caribbean) - opened 2009 - 2,230 feet

JAMAICA

Kingstn, Jamaica Mystic Mountain - opened 2008 - 2,495 feet

CANADA

Mont Saint Saveur, Quebec - opened 2009 - 3,540 feet - $10

Blue Mountain, Ontario "Ridge Runner" - opening Winter 2011 - 3,650 feet - price ?

US

Glenwood Springs, Colorado - opened 2005 - 3,200 feet - $9

Park City, Utah - opened 2006 - 3,980 feet - $20

Jiminy Peak, Hancock, Massachusetts - opened 2006 - 2,590 feet - $9

WISP, Maryland - opened 2007 - 3,000 feet - $10

Spirit Mountain, Duluth, Minnesota - opened 2010 - 3,200 feet - $8

Breckenridge, Colorado "Gold Runner" - opened 2010 - 2,345 feet - $15

Okemo, Vermont "Timber Ripper" - opened 2010 - 3,085 feet - $13

Mount Cranmore, North Conway, New Hampshire - opened 2010 - 2,395 feet - $9

Greek Peak Mountain, Cortland County, New York - opened June 2011 - 4,300 feet - $10

The proposed installation at Northstar at Tahoe, Nevada has been put on hold by the resort

Alpine Products is a new vendor that is building a version at Attitash Mountain in Bartlett, New Hampshire.

Opened December 2010 - 4,300 feet - $14

A big thanks to Larry Hays at Wiegand for his help in compiling the list.

Edited by larrygator

^Yeah, just checked my photo...

I think the Caribbean is part of North America so maybe we can add it to your list! I also believe there's one in Ocho Rios, Jamaica...I will do some research real fast to confirm.

EDIT AGAIN!

Yes the Jamaica one is also Wiegand, and the website claims it is 1000m long.

Edited by SharkTums

Little Miss Know it All Elissa is correct again. Not only are Jamaica and Haiti both part of North America but both coasters are from Wiegand.

All Wiegand installations are listed here:

http://www.wiegandslide.com/references-alpine-coaster+M509389a7871.html

Wiegand Mountain Coasters are currently installed in 32 countries.

^Very interesting.

The one at Fort Fun is 'only' 1250 meters long but it seemed MUCH longer. So I now definitely want to ride those of +3000 meters.

Anybody ever been on the following one ?

Hasenhorn

Carrier: Bergwildpark Steinwasen, Adolf Braun, 79674 Todtnau

Year of construction: 2004

Length: 2700 m

Uplift system: chairlift

I'm a bit confused about the length & the uplift system mentioning 'chairlift'.

When I see on the park's website, they do have an alpine coaster (actually they announce 2 of them) so I guess that is the Wiegand. But they also mention that both of the rides are 800 meters long. I noticed the park is not that far away from Europapark so I'm very interested to find out more about that ride, if they have an alpine coaster of 2700 meters long.

Oh goody! I get to ride the most expensive one on the continent this Winter!

EDIT - Isn't the one in Labadee, Haiti also a Weigand?

Yes the Park City one is VERY VERY expensive, but it is an amazing ride. It actually has some forces. I am not sure if I count it towards my coaster count.

^Almost everywhere else, yes...but Royal Caribbean has a strict age limit of 5 years old.

Suck! I guess he could technically do the Ocho Rios one but then we wouldn't be able to use RCI for the excursion.

Don't worry, I'm already ahead of you on this one!

I think that there's one at both Park City's resort and Utah's Olympic Park...two separate, different rides. I don't know if Olympic Park's is a Wiegand though.

And for the record, Park City's is amazing. I think I hit 40+ mph in one of the helix's.

I only see an Alpine Slide (no coaster) listed on Olympic Park's website

http://www.olyparks.com/uop/rides.asp

If we're talking POVs, heres one I took of the tobbogan at the Plymouth Ski & Snowboard park in the UK:

(Video of alpine slide)

It was fun because it was raining and I was the only one using it. A wet track means your back wheels are able to slide sideways a bit more easily in the turns, so you can corner faster with less fear of a spill.

Man that brings me back to the late-80s/early-90s and my youthful summers at Action Park in NJ. I miss everything about that place...the danger made it fun.

On another note, the Olympic Park website says this about their Alpine Slide: "This European-style alpine slide is the first of its kind in North America." Maybe it's the first metal one, but they're about 30 years late to the game here.

^I think you guys are confusing each other.

Larry already has the Wiegand Alpine Coaster at the Park City Mountain Resort listed on his list. Someone mentioned an older style alpine SLIDE at the Olympic Winter Sports Park, that is not an alpine coaster.

Basically here is what each has:

Park City Mountain Resort:

1. Alpine Coaster

2. 4-lane Alpine Slide

3. 4-lane Zip line

Olympic Park:

1. 1-lane Alpine Slide (built around 2005 and it is terrible)

2. 2 4-lane Zip lines (One is more extreme than the other)

I only know all of this because I lived up there until 2004.

• 3 months later...
^Yeah, just checked my photo...

I think the Caribbean is part of North America so maybe we can add it to your list! I also believe there's one in Ocho Rios, Jamaica...I will do some research real fast to confirm.

EDIT AGAIN!

Yes the Jamaica one is also Wiegand, and the website claims it is 1000m long.

I rode the one in Jamaica last week and have some pictures and a POV I'll try to post later this week. It was a lot of fun and in a beautiful location. Pretty crazy ride too!

• 3 months later...

So I just came back from Jamaica and got to ride the Mysic Mountain Bobsled and let me just say it was tons of fun! They have a package tour where you get to ride a fairly long chairlift up, zip line, and ride the bobsled. There is also a pool and waterslide that you can stay in as long as you want. We went early on a Sunday morning and got to do everything a couple of times (even though your're only supposed to do the zipline and bobsled once.)

Here are a couple of pictures.

IMG_0445.JPG.529225414630337dd7a9cc3d7f134c45.JPG

My sister-in-law taking off ahead of the rest

IMG_0447.JPG.5787b1d96db07718abbe2e8b20869403.JPG

For the lift hill enthusists

IMG_2482.JPG.53b481bb2020f9bfeb92ebf1ffacc080.JPG

They give you the option of running a single bobsled or attaching two together

IMG_2486.JPG.34f0deb60752546e4dd2f1d67c4c3e57.JPG

Just push forward and forget the brakes!

IMG_2488.JPG.2efb6595288512beab619d251edaf587.JPG