TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Looks like they got the Timberliners to successfully ride with "human test dummies!"

ADMIN EDIT: I went ahead and embedded the video. In the future, feel free to use our Youtube feature when posting additional videos. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Edited by jedimaster1227

I'm wondering why the train is still missing three rows of seats? And i really hope the missing rows are causing the ride to run that slow!

Looked pretty speedy to me! At least until they hit the midcourse where they slowed down.

I'm soooo excited to ride the Timberliners next year, they look great and hopefully are running great too! I'm glad that I was able to get to Holiday World twice this year, can't wait for Holliwood Nights!

They aired a segment on an Australian Travel show called Getaway, and believe it or not they went to Holiday World - Pilgrim's Plunge and The Voyage were featured.

I believe as Paula talked about it when they were there.

What I meant was that it was aired the other week on Australian TV.

I love Raven Maven's coaster count too, but I think it needs to increase and there's a way HW can do that - hint, hint.

...I'm happy I got a chance to ride this past summer with the PTCs, because next time I'm there I'll be able to compare!

Same! As an extra little bonus, it was fun to try out Ravage although I personally never really picked up on the differences in ride experience between the two trains.

As a long-time Voyage fan, this video is very exciting to watch. It looks like these trains are steering through the course well. That one shot of the 90 degree turn looked very smooth. One important observation is how different the timberliners perform from the PTC's speed wise. Because the timberliners are lighter, they accelerate at a much faster rate. The back of the train whipped over the first drop VERY fast, and the front whipped over the following hill very fast. That should make for some fantastic airtime. The Voyage seems to be a little more graceful than aggressive now. Of course, that's just judging by looking. It could be very different while on the ride. I'll definitely be there in May to ride the new Voyage!

I'm wondering why the train is still missing three rows of seats? And i really hope the missing rows are causing the ride to run that slow!

It's also cold and the track didn't sound oiled at all. That's a lot more friction than usual, which will slow it down.

In addition to that, new trains require a "break in"... That is for the wheels, etc to be warmed up and smoothed out. Usually a coaster runs fairly slow at its opening and gets faster as the first season progresses.

Because the timberliners are lighter, they accelerate at a much faster rate.

Physics nerd here. This isn't true. The only acceleration on the Voyage is caused by gravity, which is independent of mass. If you do the calculation for a simple model of the Voyage, that is, no friction, no air resistance, all trains will run at the same speed regardless of mass. Now clearly different trains run differently, so air resistance and friction must be accounted for. Heavier trains have the advantage with air resistance as they have more momentum to transfer to the air. On the other hand, a lighter train will lose less energy due to friction because more mass means greater friction. The key difference with the Timberjiners is that they are not going to give up nearly as much energy to shuffling (and overall friction) as the PTCs do. You know that feeling on a GCI where it seems that no speed is being lost? They will probably run like that.

So my prediction is that the Timberliners will actually run a bit slower over the first two hills (due to air resistance), but they will keep their speed better throughout the back run, resulting in a more insane ride coming back.

It's also cold and the track didn't sound oiled at all. That's a lot more friction than usual, which will slow it down.

I was going to say I think that the Voyage was having a "Battlestar" problem!

In all seriousness, The new trains look great and I hope to ride it soon!

Because the timberliners are lighter, they accelerate at a much faster rate.

Physics nerd here. This isn't true. The only acceleration on the Voyage is caused by gravity, which is independent of mass. If you do the calculation for a simple model of the Voyage, that is, no friction, no air resistance, all trains will run at the same speed regardless of mass. Now clearly different trains run differently, so air resistance and friction must be accounted for. Heavier trains have the advantage with air resistance as they have more momentum to transfer to the air. On the other hand, a lighter train will lose less energy due to friction because more mass means greater friction. The key difference with the Timberjiners is that they are not going to give up nearly as much energy to shuffling (and overall friction) as the PTCs do. You know that feeling on a GCI where it seems that no speed is being lost? They will probably run like that.

So my prediction is that the Timberliners will actually run a bit slower over the first two hills (due to air resistance), but they will keep their speed better throughout the back run, resulting in a more insane ride coming back.

Good call. Gravity is the only force of acceleration on roller coasters, isn't it? That's the basic physics principle of all roller coasters! *smacks head* You clearly have more knowledge than I do over this matter. Sometimes I wind up making a fool of myself sounding so confident over a physics theory. Good thing I'm always willing to learn things and be proven wrong.

Edited by SFOGdude25

You guys crack me up.

And to think my biggest concern yesterday was that I edit all the "pieces" together in the correct order! With three cameras and multiple runs of the train, it got a little confusing.

But I knew my beloved enthusiasts would gently point out to me what a mess I'd made if I got the drops out of order in the video.

Right?

Paula

Voyage drops are all good, so it doesn't matter which order you put them in, haha. My favorite drop has to be the one coming up and out of the tripple down. Lovely hill.

YES!!!! Couldn't agree more! It is by far the smoothest part of the ride (on a PTC anyways) and has GREAT air time!