TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Sorry, but it's 'extreme agressiveness' that you admit to beats the poo-poo out of me.

Having never ridden the Voyage, I was just wondering- would you say that it was noticeably 'smoother' or 'less aggressive' during its first couple of operating seasons and it has simply been difficult to maintain causing it to tear itself apart much like Hades? Or have you just never really been a big fan of the ride?

It was always very agressive, but it was a heck of a lot smoother earlier in its operations. My personal opinion is that the PTC's, while a very good product, really aren't designed to go that fast through the wicked transitions on The Voyage. I've heard that they have to do substantial re-tracking every year. I personally LOVE the Voyage (even when it was beating the poo poo out of me.) If I'm not mistaken, Robb and Elissa have never really been big fans of it and much prefer the Raven at Holiday World.

David

The park had to do a lot of retracking earlier in the operations of Voyage. When they realized how much the track was being beat up, they installed a trim brake halfway. That was a couple years ago, since then, they have braced areas and removed the trim brake. With any wood coaster, retracking is always needed in the off season. I personally have ridden Voyage every year since it opened. I believe it is this best it has ever ran this year. I don't believe it has ever been that rough I have never wanted to reride it.

The Voyage was designed with Timberliners in mind, they said on facebook that they are still testing and tweaking. I am going to the coasterbuzz event and hope it is ready for that event. But if they have to rush to get them ready, just have them ready for 2011.

Frieda worked at the park from 1954 to 2009 and the 22nd will be her 100th birthday. HW posted this message

From 1954 to 2009, Frieda was a familiar face here at Holiday World (and Santa Claus Land). Won't you help us celebrate the "flower lady's" 100th birthday on September 22? Please mail a card to the park and we'll present them to her on her birthday: Frieda Foertsch, Holiday World, PO Box 179, Santa Claus IN 47579. We're hoping for 100+ cards!

I plan on sending one.

I really have no idea what to expect for the 2011 addition. I somewhat feel like it'll be another slide or expansion to Splashin' Safari, but since it's been a few years since something was added in Holiday World (Pilgrim's Plunge counts as a water ride), I hope a more major ride will make it's way to the park. No way is it going to be a coaster, but some type of thrill ride like a frisbee, top spin, windseeker (kidding...), or something would be nice!

I could see them going with a sort of in memory of coaster for 2012, but definitely not this year.

For 2011, I would love to see a new enclosed ride, similar to Cyclone Sam's at World's of Fun, or even enclosing Scarecrow Scrambler. Not likely, but stranger things have happened.

My hopes for 2011 have officially been extinguished..

This was posted on Holiday Worlds Twitter about 2 hours ago.

babytoolkit: @HolidayWorld Thanks for some great Labor Day weekend family time. Holidog's FunTown is the best idea for families with little kids!

HolidayWorld: @babytoolkit In that case ... I think you'll *really* like what we're adding for 2011! :0) #HW

^A new kiddie attraction might not be the only thing they're adding next year, just saying. Plus Holiday World is a family park, they need to stay well rounded.

What about a whole new kid's area....? (With a possible new credit?)

I noticed they didn't finish Pilgrims Plunge's station, I hope they finish that up this off season (along with the Timberliners) and that'll be enough for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually - an expansion or addition or refurb of the kiddie areas would be an excellent idea. With the Timberliners (if they work as expected) - they are getting a MAJOR upgrade on their biggest ride next year. They ARE a family park, and although I'm not a huge fan of kiddie areas, theirs could definitely be worked on or added to.

Either that, or another family ride (read, not just kiddies but everyone.) I look forward to any announcement. I love Holiday World and I'm sure that whatever they do will be a nice addition.

David

Holiday World purchased some more land with a Santa Statue that will be restored. It is one of the projects that Will wanted to do (acquire the land and restore the statue, it was the 1st Santa Statue).

Plymouth Rock Cafe will have a covered eating area with a/c.

Rudolph's Reindeer Ranch will have the airplane ride taken out and have a sleigh ride to replace it.

Safari Sam's Splashland.....new kids area with slides.

Also, there was talk about paving the parking lot, adding l.o.c.k.e.r.s, restrooms and changing rooms.

Will update with official release when it is out.

Also, Pat Koch will be 80.....she doesn't look a day over 30.

News Release

SANTA CLAUS, IND.----- Additions and enhancements planned for Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari in 2011 can be divided into two categories: children and comfort.

That’s according to park president Dan Koch, who says the investment of $5.2 million will provide more fun for children and more comfort for families.

“We’ve studied the feedback from our park guests that comes to us via email, our Facebook page, comment cards, and conversations out in the park,” says Koch. “This is the year we will add more for the little ones to do plus a lot of extras around the park.

Additions for 2011 include:

· Safari Sam’s SplashLand: Located in Splashin’ Safari, SplashLand will feature eight colorful body slides for smaller children, plus dozens of water-play elements in a shallow pool

· New family Christmas ride: A contest will be held to name this sleigh ride for smaller children to ride with older siblings or adults. This custom-designed ride will take riders in a circle and up and down. It will be located in Rudolph's Reindeer Ranch in Holiday World's Christmas section

· Air-conditioned dining at Plymouth Rock Café

· More shade and seating in Splashin’ Safari

· More restrooms, changing rooms and family restrooms in both parks

· 500 new l.o.c.k.e.r.s

· Parking lot improvements

· New maintenance shop and paint shop plus two new employee break rooms

In addition, the town’s historic Santa statue, which was dedicated in 1935, will be restored in the coming year. The 22-foot concrete statue, which has been in disrepair for many years, was acquired by the Koch family several years ago and is located southeast of the park on State Road 245.

Koch and his mother, Pat, detail the plan on this YouTube video, released on the park's blog.

Holiday World is open weekends-only through October 10; Splashin’ Safari is closed for the season. For more information about the parks, visit http://www.HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=43799

Edited by spaceace12

it is the 7th Santa Statue

Actually, it was the first Santa statue built here in town, Adam, back in 1935.

And not sure where "fluffy bunnies" came from ... we're adding 500+ fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

Thanks, Paula

I had a hard time hearing the audio on the video, fixed in my post.

Plymouth Rock Cafe will have a covered eating area with a/c.

I just want to say that I'm pretty excited about this. It's actually something I "complained" about in one of my HW trip reports. It seemed odd to me that such a large, new (at the time) food establishment didn't have indoor seating--especially since that left just one place that did, and it was way at the front of the park.

So this sounds like an excellent addition/improvement to me.

And while I'm sure it was prompted more by the hot summer we just had, I'm going to pretend it was all due to my feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

Holiday World has sent us some press releases about their new record attendance and much more....

Holiday World finished its 64th season today by setting a new seasonal attendance record, up nearly 14 percent from the previous record, set last year.

“This is the fifth year in a row we’ve topped one million in attendance,” says park president Dan Koch. “We’re very grateful to all the families who came to visit our parks.”

With a final count of 1,182,636 guests, Koch credits the season’s growth with the addition of Wildebeest, the world’s longest water coaster, plus the parks’ budget-friendly free soft drinks, along with a continued concentration on cleanliness and friendliness.

“So much of the credit for our growth goes to the incredible service and hospitality provided by our Hosts and Hostesses,” Koch says. “As far as we’re concerned, it takes more than great rides and shows to make a park worth visiting. We are very appreciative of our hard-working staff.”

Koch became president of the park in June, following the unexpected death of his brother Will, who had guided the park’s successful growth and development for more than two decades. Over the weekend, the World Waterpark Association (WWA) inducted Will Koch into its Waterpark Hall of Fame. According to the WWA, their Waterpark Hall of Fame “honors the water leisure industry's most important pioneers and innovators.”

“This is a great honor for a great man,” says Dan Koch. “I am thankful for my brother’s life.”

Holiday World, the world’s first theme park, will open its 65th season on May 7, 2011. Splashin' Safari will open for the season on May 13, with the debut of Safari Sam’s SplashLand, a children’s water-play area with eight new water slides. For more information visit http://www.holidayworld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

Two days after closing for the season, Holiday World will host a group of amusement park owners for a three-day conference.

The group, called FOAM (Family Owned And Managed) meets annually at one of the member parks for a variety of networking sessions and tours.

“We’ve been members of this wonderful group for decades,” says Holiday World matriarch Pat Koch. “Hosting our fellow family-park owners is a great way to top off this season.”

In addition to a series of meetings, Koch says FOAM members will spend time touring Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari and meeting the management staff.

“This is what we like best—to see each other’s parks and learn more about what each of us has accomplished over the past year,” says Koch. “Even though it’s mid-October, we’ve kept Wildebeest open so they can ride on our new water coaster for themselves.”

The family-owned parks visiting for the conference are:

• Quassy Amusement Park in Middlebury, Connecticut

• Waldameer Park in Erie, Pennsylvania

• Seabreeze Amusement Park in Rochester, New York

• Lake Winnepesaukah Amusement Park in Chattanooga, Tennessee

• Joyland Amusement Park in Lubbock, Texas

• Wonderland Park in Amarillo, Texas

• Cliff’s Amusement Park in Albuquerque, New Mexico

• Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, California

While in town, the group will also tour the Santa Claus Museum, Santa Claus Christmas Store and Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort.

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari are closed for the season. For more information about the parks’ 2011 season, visit http://www.holidayworld.com or call toll-free 1-877-463-2645.