Photo TR: Disney's Typhoon Lagoon

Crush 'n' Gusher posted.....Page 4. TR complete!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: Disney's Typhoon Lagoon

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:44 pm

^Yeah the only bummer about the shark swim is that it is quite chilly water. I've only done it once, went for another visit a few years back, dipped my toe in and decided I'd just look at the aquarium!

Sorry, but I'm a warm water wuss!!!

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Shrinkage is fun!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:52 pm

^^Yeah, that part would bother me too. You should see the temperature that I keep my pool at my Outer Banks house set to!

I guess on a really hot summer day, it wouldn't be as bad. But this is something I'd almost HAVE to do. Sharks are awesome. And should eat more people.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby Godwyn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:57 pm

The main reason I went to TL in 2000 was just to swim with the sharks! I went first thing on a chilly morning, so there was hardly anyone there, and I just kept going around.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby darienlakerules » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Meteornotes wrote:You can swim with sharks?!? I really need to visit this place.

Though it would be a thousand times better if the sharks were in all the pools. And they were all a minimum of twenty feet long. And constantly hungry. I may have to suggest this idea to the park...

dt

Best idea I've ever read.. in this thread, lol

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Scott, thanks for another winner of a report and the most detail I've ever seen of Typhoon Lagoon. Knew it was fun, but didn't realize how good it really was.

Oh, and I was TOTALLY looking at the bridge. Totally. (can't even type this with a straight face).

Glad you all had a great time on your recent trip and hope to see you all next time you're in town.

What is this, Joisey?

Postby Swimace » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Blizzard Beach OWNS Typhoon Lagoon. Typhoon has the better wave pool and water coaster, that's it. Plus the Shark Reef is cool, but whatever. I still can't believe you went there instead of BB, you're so LAME!!!

Typhoon's family raft ride is terrible (I mean really, Blizzard's doesn't smash you into walls and it's like 5x the length of Typhoon's), their speed slides are pretty underwhelming, and their tube slides are so boring and rough!

As for the shade issue at Blizzard, the only place in the park where I think that's a problem is on Mt. Gushmore's Purple and Green slopes and in Ski Patrol. The upper beach area of Meltaway Bay has plenty of shade, the lazy river is super long with plenty of shade, and there's a ton of secluded shaded space behind Red Slope that most people never head back to. If you ever want a secluded spot in the park without paying for a Polar Patio or Premium Space, go to the back of the park past Runoff Rapids and there's a ton of space for people that rarely gets used.

haha, I'm sorry but I feel very strongly about the Typhoon vs Blizzard debate!

BeemerBoy wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure how much these cost

The cost varies depending on the time of year, but I think during the summer they're $250 a day (at least that's what I think Blizzard's "Polar Patios" run). They pretty much always sell out early in the day during peak season.

My uncle owns a country place that no one knows about

Postby PriestofSyrinx » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Great TR! Typhoon Lagoon is my favorite water park tied of course with Blizzard beach!

The Shark Reef is one of my favorite attractions at TL!!

Oh and thumbs up for the Rush reference!
Favs: Maverick/Mindbender/Magnum/Goliath/Voyage

Will find a Rush reference in your post, whether its there or not!

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby froggypheebs » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks for this in-depth report! I am considering doing a full blown Disney trip next year with the water parks included but I wasn't really sure what they entailed. All I really knew was the ski theming at BB and Summit Plummet. After this report, I am definitely doing the water parks add-on. Thanks again!

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:20 pm

^ Awesome! Glad it helped!

Meteornotes wrote:But this is something I'd almost HAVE to do. Sharks are awesome. And should eat more people.

Yes.

Swimace wrote:Blizzard Beach OWNS Typhoon Lagoon. Typhoon has the better wave pool and water coaster, that's it. Plus the Shark Reef is cool, but whatever. I still can't believe you went there instead of BB, you're so AWESOME!!!

Fixed. :wink:
Swimace wrote:haha, I'm sorry but I feel very strongly about the Typhoon vs Blizzard debate!

It's okay.....fanboy. ::lol::

TheRapidsNerd wrote:Glad you all had a great time on your recent trip and hope to see you all next time you're in town.

Thanks, and definitely!

PriestofSyrinx wrote:Oh and thumbs up for the Rush reference!

Hang on, was it I who made the Rush reference? If so, it was completely unintentional, as I'm definitely not much of a fan. Heck, I know they're Canadian. That's about the extent of it. I'm really curious now. ::lol::

Okie dokie. Time to head down the homestretch....
110.jpg
We begin with.....food!
Viewed 1694 times
111.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
112.jpg
This was a really nice, quiet spot to sit and eat lunch.
Viewed 1694 times
113.jpg
The salad was big enough for the two of us to share. It was, however, just another salad. The smoothie tasted great, but had way too much crushed ice. Thus, it was not very, um, "smooth."
Viewed 1694 times
114.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
115.jpg
This bridge is not as good.
Viewed 1694 times
116.jpg
Another random look at the lazy river doing its thing.....being lazy.
Viewed 1694 times
117.jpg
Here's a look at one of the lazy river's entry/exit points. I believe one was named shark something or other. I failed to get a pic of it. Point deduction.
Viewed 1694 times
118.jpg
We'll be there in about 10 pics or so. Promise.
Viewed 1694 times
wp arrow.jpg
A look at the outer part of the wave pool area. Cool point: the surf waves are powerful enough to push you back into that wall if you're sitting there. It's actually pretty fun to sit through one once, or just watch unsuspecting people who don't realize the wave's force.
Viewed 1694 times
120.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
121.jpg
You CANNOT walk past this and not want a funnel cake. It's physically impossible.
Viewed 1694 times
122.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
123.jpg
Let's Go Slurpin'. Yep.
Viewed 1694 times
124.jpg
Well, that sign says "5," so I guess it's safe to assume there's four others. I'm good like that.
Viewed 1694 times
125.jpg
Okay, this was somewhat odd, and dare I say, a *little* bit creepy. Notice the gentleman in the vest (or as I like to call it, "The Hot Fuzz")? Well, that's a photographer taking random photos for Disney's PhotoPass system., which you'll hear about shortly. I don't know, it works in some locations I suppose, but others.....eh, not so much.
Viewed 1694 times
126.jpg
Coffee and cappuccino at a water park? Hey, at least you can warm up after a Shark Reef swim! ;)
(By the way, that water is anywhere from 68-70 degrees)
Viewed 1694 times
127.jpg
Another random snack stand near the front of the park.
Viewed 1694 times
128.jpg
I actually really like that this section is sort of tucked away from the bulk of the park. All day it remained very calm, with few people. That equals awesome.
Viewed 1694 times
129.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
131.jpg
Besides the wave pool, the highlight of the day!
Viewed 1694 times
132.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
130.jpg
I seriously wasn't expecting *too* terribly much from these, but was very pleasantly surprised!
Viewed 1694 times
133.jpg
It's themed to an abandoned fruit processing plant.
Viewed 1694 times
134.jpg
There are three slides to chose from. We found the "Banana Blaster" to be our favorite, although they are all fairly similar.
Viewed 1694 times
135.jpg
The theming here worked really well. As you can see, and was eluded to by Hilltopper on the first page, any water park visit can be a real workout. Since you have to carry your own two or three person tube up these steps, it definitely pays to visit when the crowds are light. That way, even though you're lugging the tubes up the steps, at least you only have to wait five minutes, at the most, when you reach the top.
Viewed 1694 times
136.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
137.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
138.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
140.jpg
We loved the opening drop into each of the three slides! I'm also amazed this picture turned out as well as it did.
Viewed 1694 times
141.jpg
I can't remember which it was (the middle, perhaps?), but one seemed a bit faster than the others. All had nice pops of air!
Viewed 1694 times
142.jpg
Viewed 1694 times
143.jpg
I think we managed to get about 10 runs in overall, never waiting more than a few minutes at the top. You also have to relinquish your tube after each run, and wait in line to receive another before heading up. Still, we never waited more than a minute or two for that.
Viewed 1694 times
144.jpg
Okay, here's an example where PhotoPass works really well, in my opinion. As you exit the pool, the photographer hands you one of these......
Viewed 1694 times
144a.jpg
It actually comes with a small rubber band attached to it, so you can wear it around your wrist.
Viewed 1694 times
145.jpg
....disco! You have yourselves the opportunity to purchase a great souvenir that you didn't have to work for!

* You do have to provide your own constipated look though. I can't do everything for you * ;)
Viewed 1694 times
146.jpg
And finally we have a brief look at the wave pool, and the huge arse waves it produces!
Viewed 1694 times
148.jpg
Oh sure, it may not look like much here. But when you're on top of one, or the moment the first one you see starts barreling down on you, you quickly realize this ain't just another wave pool!
Seriously, we had sooo much fun in here!
When I win the lotto, I'm grabbing a board, and the TPR surf party is on me!
Viewed 1694 times
149.jpg
On the way out, the cast members had a little fun with the hula hoops.
Viewed 1694 times
139a.jpg
Thanks for viewing, everyone! We're glad we could share our day at the park with ya!
Viewed 1694 times

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive