TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Books Do You Read

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT? I cannot believe they're making you read that for school! I've never liked Dan Brown's writing and I don't think I ever will...

I enjoy anything from Dickens and Maugham, to Amy Tan and Don Delillo and I love the Harry Potter series. The last book I read was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mike Haddon. This book was highly recommended to me by several people and is a "national bestseller." I thought it was total sh*t and waste of time. Bleh!

I just read:

"homo faber" by Max Frisch (for the school)

Stephen Kings "The Dark Tower" (is it called like that in english?) part 5&6 in the vacation (part 7 isn't released yet :? )

and I am currently reading:

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck (for the school, in english :? )

That's it.

^Dark Tower's been out for a long time, that is in English. Just to forewarn you, the ending isn't what you'll think it will be.

I'm currently reading A Clash Of Kings by George RR Martin, which kicks complete and total ass.

dt

Just wait until you get to A Storm of Swords, it gets to be a huge mess for everyone. I'm currently reading A Feast for Crows.

Finished Robert Jordan's newest Wheel of Time book a few days ago. Before that was a few fantasy books by little known writers. Once I'm done with my current read, I'll be trying to track down Terry Goodkind's newest Sword of Truth book. I have read the Harry Potter books, Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance and every other Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman books.

I've also been known to read Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum, Stephen King. Tad Williams has a great SF series called Otherland, and his War of the Flowers is also good. Da Vinci Code is overrated -- so-so writing with a so-so plot (and a bit predictable at times).

From time to time, I've read some nonfiction books, though lately they tend to be about the military. Band of Brothers is a great book. Black Hawk Down is also good and much more informative than the movie. Jarhead is one of the worst books I ever read, and the movie is not much better (what waste of good actors).

I love to read, but unfortunately do not have much time to get involved in a novel at the moment. Heres some that I've read in the past couple months.

-The Great Gatsby

-Their Eyes were Watching God (Oprah ruined this)

-The Color of Water

-Nickel and Dimed

Mark "I started Life of Pi but haven't finished it" Luskus

^

I'm an English major, and I do find that English (British) novels are a lot harder to read than American novels. Part of it is because they're often a higher reading level. Most American authors tend to write around the eighth or ninth grade reading level. I will admit that I did have a hard time reading Lord of the Rings during high school, but as I got older, the easier they were to read.

Another thing I've found is that British novels tend to be more social commentary than anything else, and that is something that is hard to follow for Americans. Take "Pride and Prejudice" for example. I couldn't for the life of me finish that book for one of my classes (in my opinion it's poorly written and often meanders aimlessly), and I still can't understand why people keep making it into a movie. So much of it is about the time period and the place, most of which no longer applies to today, or for Americans for that matter.

And if you noticed my last post on this thread, you'll see what I usually read. I'm often butting heads with my Enlish professors about what is good literature and what is trash.

Soren, I'm glad you brouhgt up the James Patterson/Alex Cross thing. I read the first two in high school simply because my mom had read them, and they sat around in our living room for awhile. I was hooked like a housewife and soap operas. Good times.

Brett Easton Ellis is my fav non-fiction, which is mostly what I read. And of course, David Sedaris.