Running!

Coaster Cow

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love running Disney races. They are a ton of fun, and a ton of people, like me, just run for the fun of it. I am slow in long distances so I just enjoy the scenery. But currently I am way out of shape. I sprained my ankle about a month ago and it's just starting to heal, and then my mom got really sick so I've been in the hospital every day for the past two weeks. I'm doing the Dopey challenge at WDW in two months so I have a lot of catching up to do. It's not an "official" race, but it's the Goofy challenge with the 5k thrown in on friday. In regards to ipods, I cannot run without it. I have a shuffle and went through about 15 pairs of earphones to find ones that worked. I think I got them in Japan, but they are spongy (they don't slip out and are comfortable to wear for a few hours), they have a clip (so the wire is attached to my shirt and doesn't bounce around), and they have a cord adjuster (to keep the wires close to my head/neck so they don't bounce and pull them out). I use racing as a way to justify traveling. Instead of just going on vacation to WDW, I sign up for the races as an incentive to lose weight, stay healthy, and make it a reward of sorts. Even my wife, who hates running, is now doing the half-marathons. I don't think she will ever do the full with me.

While I love running, I can't run at the same intensity as I used to in high school. I'm good on a 20-35 minute run, but after about 40-45 minutes of a steady pace, my legs just give out on me, to the point where I could barely walk. But I continue to do it because it is an awesome stress reliever and doesn't require a gym membership to do. And while my legs continue to hurt, they hurt so much more when I don't run.

It took a while to build up to the half and full lengths. I also love running because you don't need a gym. It's a great way to see different places when traveling. Also, Congratulations on buying a new house!

I love running Disney races. They are a ton of fun, and a ton of people, like me, just run for the fun of it. I am slow in long distances so I just enjoy the scenery. But currently I am way out of shape. I sprained my ankle about a month ago and it's just starting to heal, and then my mom got really sick so I've been in the hospital every day for the past two weeks. I'm doing the Dopey challenge at WDW in two months so I have a lot of catching up to do. It's not an "official" race, but it's the Goofy challenge with the 5k thrown in on friday. In regards to ipods, I cannot run without it. I have a shuffle and went through about 15 pairs of earphones to find ones that worked. I think I got them in Japan, but they are spongy (they don't slip out and are comfortable to wear for a few hours), they have a clip (so the wire is attached to my shirt and doesn't bounce around), and they have a cord adjuster (to keep the wires close to my head/neck so they don't bounce and pull them out). I use racing as a way to justify traveling. Instead of just going on vacation to WDW, I sign up for the races as an incentive to lose weight, stay healthy, and make it a reward of sorts. Even my wife, who hates running, is now doing the half-marathons. I don't think she will ever do the full with me.

Same!!

Have you done the Goofy (or Dopey) Challenge before? This January will be my third time doing that. It's insane and I'm such a wreck afterwards, but I love it.

I just got over a really bad flu (possibly swine flu), and only got back into training. I don't know if I'll be 100% ready for the Vegas marathon next month, but I'm working on it!

^^Thanks, man! Still moving in stuff, it's a slow & steady process. One of the main things that sold me on the house was it's location. There is an awesome trail behind my house that runs along a really nice creek... of course I plan run it as soon as I'm all moved in.

^I had the flu earlier last month, and it killed my chances at running my first 5K. Hope you feel 100% better by your next race. I definitely have to look into a WDW running trip. Your awesome PTR sold me on it, they look like so much fun! Any suggestions on how to start training for a half marathon?

I definitely have to look into a WDW running trip. Your awesome Photo TR sold me on it, they look like so much fun! Any suggestions on how to start training for a half marathon?

WDW races are the best! I started out by just gradually increasing my mileage each week, doing a few miles each day and then one longer run on the weekend. If you can get at least one 10 mile run before a half marathon, you should be fine.

• 5 months later...

Damn, I'm slow. I can sometimes pull off 9 minute miles, but I mainly train for long distance events, so I have to keep a steady pace.

I'm looking forward to some fun races coming up this spring. I did a half marathon last weekend, and have a 5k next weekend. My next "big" race is probably the Rock N Roll half marathon in Chicago in August.

I'm running my second marathon on May 2 - The Avenue of the Giants in Eureka, CA.

I only started running a couple of years ago, and my first marathon was last July here in San Francisco. Like someone posted before, running is a convenient form of exercise because you can do it anywhere, and it requires very little equipment. I'm not a very fast runner, so I prefer the longer distance.

I would love to do a Disney marathon some day. Looks like so much fun.

^That's awesome, congratulations! I used to run the 800 in high school, it was an amazing race.

I just finished running the Race for the Cure 5K here in NW Arkansas, my first race in 11 years! I have no idea what my time was since I was so focused on finishing I didn't notice the ginormous time clock at the finish line. I'm guessing it was between 25-28 minutes. I'll post my official time when the times are announced on their website. Keep on running, everyone!