TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I wouldn't get too excited about the logo revealing anything factual about the ride; if Millennium Force's logo was any indicator of the ride it would have the steepest drop in the world...

Not only that, but it would have an airtime hill instead of a overbank! Your post was my thoughts exactly.

^I don't think the ride is quite boring, it just has boring parts like the helices and straightaways, buuuut I've never been anywhere near that ride so I can't have an actual opinion on it.

The Superman Ride of Steel at Darien Lake/SFA (since they are clones) are fun rides but have a hard time even coming close to the one at SFNE. I have ridden both layouts and the one at Darien Lake/SFA has some descent airtime/g-forces but there are some parts where it just lacks. Its a fun ride don't get me wrong, but its just not a high ranking steel coaster (at least on my list).

Lets hope for the best out of this coaster, i'm sure its going to be insane.

My bet is that it blows all of our minds, leaving us speech less but thats just my opinion. (Can you say possibly the biggest project of 2010 )

We will see tomorrow.

I've always wanted to go to King's Dominion but have not had the chance to visit . . .yet,

Anyway, I'm not impressed at all with the Teaser Logo- honestly it's kind of dull and certainly not "meanest" or baddest" Looks more like a windchime in a sea of mustard.

I am assuming the ride with be much more exciting than that though. But if not, hey I like mustard more than ketchup.

CLICK HERE for TPR's Intimidator 305 Announcement Media Day Coverage

Kings Dominion to Introduce $25 Million Steel Giga-Coaster In 2010

Intimidator 305 will be the Biggest, Baddest and Meanest on the East Coast

Doswell, VA. (Aug. 20, 2009) – The most exciting ride in Kings Dominion’s 35-year history will

debut in the spring of 2010, as the amusement park introduces a mammoth 5,100-foot long steel

Giga-coaster. Intimidator 305 takes it name from one of stock car racing’s most beloved and

tenacious drivers, Dale Earnhardt, “the Intimidator™” along with the height of the coaster’s lift hill,

305 feet.

Intimidator 305, only the second Giga-coaster ever built in North America, will be the tallest and

fastest roller coaster of its type on the East Coast. The lift hill will stand a towering 305 feet at its

highest peak; descend 300 feet at an 85 degree-angle and thunder along the track at speeds in

excess of 90 miles per hour during its three minute race to the finish. The trains, fashioned after

Dale Earnhardt’s signature black car, will roar through six airtime humps plus three high-speed

turns and the experience will have guests screaming for another lap around the track.

“Intimidator 305 will break records as the single largest capital investment in the history Kings

Dominion,” said Pat Jones, Kings Dominion’s vice president and general manager. “The numbers

speak for themselves, at a cost of $25 million, a lift hill and first drop close to the height of the

park’s landmark Eiffel Tower; you’ll have to see it to believe it.” Intimidator 305 will be located in

the park’s Congo section and becomes Kings Dominion’s 15th World-class roller coaster.

Dale Earnhardt, Inc. will partner with Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, owners of Kings

Dominion, to bring the massive coaster to life. “We’re excited to see this new roller coaster

celebrate the speed and intensity of the legendary career of Dale Earnhardt,” said Jeff Steiner,

executive vice president and general manager of Dale Earnhardt, Inc. “there are millions of fans

that still honor their racing hero and this is a very real way for them to connect with the spirit and

passion of the Intimidator™.”

Guests will have the opportunity to see the ride being built from the ground up during the

remainder of the park’s 2009 season, as well as follow its progress by watching the online

webcam, set up to overlook the entire work site. Those who cannot wait until 2010 may take a

virtual ride on Intimidator 305, access exclusive updates, features, virtual renderings, ride

statistics, and more at www.intimidator305.com.

Intamin AG of Wollerau, Switzerland, a recognized industry leader in roller coaster development,

designed Intimidator 305. The ride is scheduled to open in the spring of 2010.

Ride Stats

- Track Length: 5,100 feet

- Maximum Height: 305 feet

- Lift Hill Angle: 45 degrees

- Length of First Drop: 300 feet

- Angle of First Drop: 85 degrees

- Length of Other Drops: 150 feet

- Airtime Humps: 6 including S-curve transitions

- High Speed Turns: 3 at ground level

- Fastest Speed: Excess of 90 MPH

- Ride Time: 3 minutes

- Hourly Capacity:: 1,350 riders

- Number of Trains: Two

- Vehicles: Four passenger open design trains with overhead lap bars but no over-the-shoulder harnesses

- Investment: $25 million

About the Designer

Intamin AG is a designing and manufacturing company in Wollerau, Switzerland. It is best known for creating thrill rides and roller coasters worldwide. The U.S. division of the company is located in Glen Burnie, Maryland, and is headed by Gary Palmer, MD and Arnold Bernsteiner.

Intamin is a major player in the amusement park attractions industry, supplying some 22 different styles of rides to a variety of parks.

Intamin is well known for being innovative and creative with their rides. They were some of the first to create a magnetic propulsion system (Linear induction motors/Linear Synchronous Motors) and remain one of only a handful of manufacturers continuing to use such technology on roller coasters. Intamin also created the first hydraulic launch system.

Intamin is known for their massive "Giga" (over 300 ft/91 m) coasters. Their designs currently occupy the top 2 spots of the Golden Ticket Awards.

POV VIDEO:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=KD_POV_640x360_FlashHigh_hqse[/coastertube]

kd04_8x10_300dpi.jpg.c1021e700c54ae86c11821b5854f4191.jpg

misc_Train.jpg.111ce1eef5e2540dd0210e41590f0638.jpg

misc_TheRide_8.jpg.a41332311062a6e885eec72987a41576.jpg

misc_TheRide_7.jpg.1123f12712fc515173bdbb91ed85442a.jpg

misc_TheRide_5.jpg.a4883155f7a48036ceaf965e9a537e90.jpg

misc_TheRide_2.jpg.953d0cfeae331991c35b5461c08329df.jpg

misc_TheRide_10.jpg.59cf6fe49e1c2d9de2b1b4273999b655.jpg

Hey everyone -

I had to do a bit of "cleaning up" of this thread. Lots of info was posted all over the place and I felt it was better to have one post that was the "official announcement."

You may all discuss the ride...

Thank you!

--Robb

I honestly am not dissappointed with this announcement at ALL. While I would greatly prefer if they chose either T-bars or U-bars, the restraint system could be worse. The layout of the ride looks to be quite epic with no lack of airtime.

I am thoroughly looking forward to trying out to this beast next summer.

-Jon

Though a some feel that Cedar Fair would not have installed a ride that is faster or bigger than what CP already has or would get, I feel that judging from the layout they may have inadvertently build a "better" ride than Millienium Force. It's not as tall (5 feet shorter...oh no!) or as fast (3 MPH slower, oh no!) as its predessor to the northwest, but with a more transition filled layout it could be that beast that we all wanted MF to be. It's almost as if this ride is Millienium Force without the fat. i305 is sleaker, looks to be more thrilling, and looks like it could give a better ride than a certain ride everyone's comparing it to...

Wow..Good for you, Kings Dominion!! Although I lived close to KD this year, I couldn't go.

Since I've never been to Cedar Point, I was hoping to get a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass next year and make a road trip to Cedar Point, Kings Island, and Kings Dominion...now I am psyched! Next summer is going to be great

And I'll finally be able to ride Millennium Force...and compare it to Intimidator 305!! Whooot Whooot!

Really? OTSR's? Has America become that concerned about getting sued that they need OTSR's on this thing? If those transitions are too fast get ready for head banging like Maverick.

I'll definitely give this a try at some point, but I won't be rushing out on opening day. I'll wait for the reviews on this one.

Hey everyone -

I had to do a bit of "cleaning up" of this thread. Lots of info was posted all over the place and I felt it was better to have one post that was the "official announcement."

You may all discuss the ride...

Thank you!

--Robb

Whoa, for a second there, I thought I had gone crazy when I saw that most of the posts of the past 2 hours were gone.

Anyways, I think it looks like a Millennium Force/Maverick hybrid. Definitely a great ride!

Really? OTSR's? Has America become that concerned about getting sued that they need OTSR's on this thing? If those transitions are too fast get ready for head banging like Maverick.

I'll definitely give this a try at some point, but I won't be rushing out on opening day. I'll wait for the reviews on this one.

Exactly, the specs sheet says "no OTSR" though. So I can keep a faint glimmer of hope that in reality the ride will not have those OTSR's...