TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cowabunga Bay waterpark

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally let the Cat out of the Bag Shane? It's about Time! We've only been discussing this over on the LagoonisFun.com Forums for a while now. I can't wait for In-N-Out and Cowabunga Bay! What a Combo! Oddly enough, those photos look just like the ones on LagoonisFun.com and the Cowabunga Bay Construction Blog...I wonder why?

P.S. Shane, would you like a Copy of my Cowabunga Bay Logo on LiF? I think Mine Looks Better!

^Yes Lagoonisfun.com has had the scoop on this for sometime now and has done a great job covering it. Let me answer some of the questions:

1. This is an outdoor facility, the entire park will be on 2 acres and we share parking with the adjacent factory outlet shopping center. It should work out great as the summer is their slow season so we will have plenty of parking. During the christmas shopping season we will be closed so they can have all the parking they need.

2. Future attractions: The park has been planned with a 10 year expansion plan. One great thing about the water play structure is you can add onto it like a giant tinker toy set. The bowl slide you see on the plans is for a future addition. All the footings and pumps will be built now so when we want to add the slide all we need to do is put it together. There are also plans for a flow rider, and mat racer.

3. The concept of the park is not to be a full blown waterpark but more of what we are calling a "neighborhood waterpark" This will be an activity that you can decide spur of the moment to come do. You don't have to spend an entire day to feel you get your moneys worth and it will be an alternate entertainment experience in place of a movie of a visit to the FEC.

4. Price will be $15.99 for 48" and over and $10.99 under 48". That is pretty reasonable when you consider local water parks are $21.00 or more plus you then have to pay for tube rentals and parking. POP at the FEC is $25.00 or more.

5. Opening date is set for early Summer which means hopefully the first of June. We have met some difficulty with the local family fun center Boondocks. They have been appealing all our approvals with the city. Luckily they have been shot down on everything but it did set us back a couple of weeks.

6. If all goes well with this project we do plan to build other parks but but no plans as of now to go to Australia...sorry

7. Yes there will be plenty of things for kidtums. We have three slides just for kids that size plus a special area that is less intense.

If all goes well with this project we do plan to build other parks...

Shane, after this project succeeds (which I'm sure it will!) can I nominate Chattanooga for your next location? You can step right in and occupy the space where the last supposed water park was to be built - before that team failed due to financial reasons.

Seriously, this area is DYING for a water park to call it's own (nobody likes having to drive to Whitewater), and I LOVE your concept!! Although, unfortunately, we can't promise a next door In-N-Out.

6. If all goes well with this project we do plan to build other parks

This kind of park would do well, imho, in the town where I live. We have a public pool, but it is open from June to August. I have wanted to win the lottery to put one in here. The closest water park to Terre Haute is a small neighborhood one in Plainfield, IN (50 minutes away), then there is Holiday World, an indoor water park in Indy (requires Hotel stay). My park I dream about building has a wave pool, a couple slides, and a lazy river.

EDIT: Forgot, there is a community pool that is in the northern part of the town.

Funny you guys should mention Tennessee...it has always peaked my interest and before we settled on Salt Lake being our test market I had seriously considered several sites in Nashville & Memphis. I think it is a GREAT market that is under served.

^ Shane that would be cool in Nashville. However, we do already have Nashville Shores and Wave Country located close to the former Opryland area. I do think it would be possible to successfully add a Cowabunga Bay here though if it was near the Cool Springs/Franklin area about 10 miles south of downtown Nashville. That's the disposable income side of town with lots of young families who would probably eat this up. Chattanooga would be sweet too. Bring it on!

You are going to make entry for inphants and toddlers (ages 3 and down) free correct? I don't even think they have the capability to remember it anyways.

And you should add a "Bubble Up" like the one at W&W in Orlando.

Yes toddlers 3 and under will be admitted free and seniors over 65 will have their own price too.

Yes toddlers 3 and under will be admitted free and seniors over 65 will have their own price too.

Will Jeff Johnson get the senior rate, or is there a special deal for being over 5,000?

He can get the special rate but he will have to wear a swim diaper. We can't afford any leaks.

Shane, this is awesome man. I've always loved waterparks and seeing one being built by a fellow TPR member is flippin grand! Best of luck with this, and I hope all goes well in the construction/planning/building process!

Edit: Hey, also I have a question, what company did you order your slides from?

Shane and Fellow TPR Members, I ran down to the Construction Site Saturday afternoon and snapped a bunch of Photos. There's not a whole lot to look at, but I think I covered it sufficiently. I posted the Photos in my Blog located here: Cowabunga Bay Construction Blog

*Note* All Photos were taken Outside the Construction Fence.

- Sid

This looks great! I can't imagine how excited I would've been when the first shipment of slides arrived...lol

Congratulations, Shane!

Is there a construction timeline you could share with us?

This looks great! I can't imagine how excited I would've been when the first shipment of slides arrived...lol

Congratulations, Shane!

Is there a construction timeline you could share with us?

^yes...Summer 2009...lol

Yes my excitement level was pretty high when the first shipment came in, but it failed in comparison to when we first signed the contract with White Water, it was tough to keep quiet, but I had to until I had all city approvals.

ginzo wrote:

montezooma wrote:

Will Jeff Johnson get the senior rate, or is there a special deal for being over 5,000?

He can get the special rate but he will have to wear a swim diaper. We can't afford any leaks.

Wow......just......woooooow........

Thought of you, Shane, as we passed by East Ridge in Chattanooga this weekend. They really could use a Cowabunga...dude.

Shane and Fellow TPR Members, I ran down to the Construction Site Saturday afternoon and snapped a bunch of Photos. There's not a whole lot to look at, but I think I covered it sufficiently. I posted the Photos in my Blog located here: Cowabunga Bay Construction Blog

*Note* All Photos were taken Outside the Construction Fence.

- Sid

Sid got some great shots from outside the fence, here are a few from inside the fence. Most of the work going on now is underground. The pump house and huge balance tank that holds all the water for the play structure are the focus now.

Some of the structure has arrived as well as the rest of the slides. Another shipment will be in Thursday. I am happy we were victorious again over a FEC competitor down the road who has been trying very hard to delay our project. The city council voted unanimously in our favor.

DSC01487.JPG.46ce8e5d864a526e17c5a37d40e4a77b.JPG

I personally had to pick each and everyone of these colors. So if you love it let me know. If not...keep it to yourself

DSC01486.jpg.dfe89ab5ed1064fd845a77f92b075edd.jpg

DSC01549.JPG.fdc32603f0d739429bd9a1e1ee54581d.JPG

DSC01489.jpg.47f00de1767d01622e62f971d795babf.jpg

The three open body flumes will be green, blue and purple

DSC01546.JPG.d82d067c67113db189e8a1848add8d60.JPG

DSC01483.JPG.0478e920debede41265ed0c337f1da73.JPG

this is one section of the tower that will support one of the giant buckets 65' up in the air

DSC01539.JPG.42acf693628b5f18d2f6525bd3ab5f35.JPG

the finished floor. 10's high walls and ceiling go in this week

DSC01529.JPG.be3a541befc4d8383ae006124b03c170.JPG

essentially this is a huge underground pool that will hold the hundreds of thousands of gallons that will flood the giant playstructure

DSC01524.JPG.e92f73f3cc2d27f4a7e96d686ee2efce.JPG

There is a lot of testosterone on this job!

DSC01504.JPG.efd1cd5ace8da7e257e6154e362f1a43.JPG

all this hard work and money just gets buried in the ground