Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1067: Halloween Horror Nights 24 house & mazes announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby PCW_Nut » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:47 am

Great pics....I wonder when they will start on the lift...

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby jjune4991 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:37 am

great to see that they have the brake sections up! did you get to go on the "grass" in front of the stage? i heard that it was turf. can't wait to ride this beast!

Over obsessive disney disorder

Postby DarkStitch626 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:45 am

Great to see this ride is coming along so nicely. The colors chosen for this are very bold for the park sky line and I like that idea. I can't wait to see the non-inverting loop and first drop completed.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:06 am

This is probably a stupid question, but what does the HP construction mean for Dueling Dragons in the aspect of being open? For example, I am planning to go in May, will I be able to ride the Dragons?
Steel: 135 | Wood: 40 | Total: 175

Last Coaster Ridden: Skyrush at Hersheypark on 6/25/14

Postby alpengeist04 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:53 am

^Of course nobody knows for sure except Universal, but I think there's a very good chance DD will still be open in May. Right now you enter and exit through Jurassic, so it'll probably be the same when you visit in May. ...Now the fall season may be a different story, we'll have to wait and see on that.

I'll have red wine with my slice of donkey.

Postby HatetoFLY » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:47 pm

I think you can expect to see the dueling dragons open through at least the busy season, and possibly into October for Halloween Horror Nights. I dont believe DD will be down long for their transformation.

I wonder how this will look in a year
www.coastercounter.com/hatetofly
Q...Q is for Quan....Quan is for Quandry

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby CoasterEricHP » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:00 am

Thinking about the Dragons retheme.. I don't think the change will be as dramatic as some people think.

It makes the most sense with the current theme to just keep the dragons (except the poor statues...) and turn it into a Triwizard Tournament theme.

For those of you non Harry Potter fans, in the Triwizard Tournament Harry gets chased on his broom by... a.. you guessed it.. dragon.

Change around the front of the castle by adding on some tents, add a Dumbledore pre-show in the current Stained Glass Chamber, replace Merlin's Spell Book with the Triwizard Cup with cool special effects, change around some rooms to Hogwarts'ish stuff, and presto! Harry Potter theme.

I do hope that with the retheme however they do a few things:

1. Paint the track/dragons to make them "darker"

2. Figure out a way to make the Express Line work!

3. I always thought some crazy mist in the pond underneath would add a lot to the ride.

With Dragons though.. the height requirement isn't going to change.. so I dont think there's really a need to spend a ton of money on a complete overhaul when the ride isn't geared towards families.

Ok some more food for thought.. in the last picture I posted. There's Hagrids Hut.. looking just as it does right now! But behind it, there's a building. To me that looks like a new.. and massive.. station to the Flying Unicorn. It even looks like there's an area for an outdoor queue.

Then there's also a path leading into the now extended queue area between Dragons/Unicorn. It'd make perfect sense for the Forbidden Forest to go in there because it's already pretty wooded.

Those are my latest impressions!

As a disclaimer.. I worked at Dragons/Unicorn years ago so I have good overall knowledge of the area! But I dont have any insider info.. nor would I want to put anyone who still works there in that position! This is just what Im gathering from everything I see going on!
dragontri.jpg
Triwizard Dragon
Viewed 3027 times
dragonshp.jpg
Zoomed in Castle.. you can see the new entrance and people in line I'm guessing.
Viewed 3027 times
hagridshut.jpg
Hagrid's Hut and new Unicorn building?
Viewed 3027 times

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby mrhambone » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 am

So I'm sitting here trying to figure out when I can use my free ticket before it expires at the end of the year. It just so happens that we'll be in WDW for a week in November. Because we have already purchased our tickets (using the Disney Visa card's Disney Rewards - free tickets!), we only have one day during the week free.

So could we go to Universal for the day to use my free ticket, and visit both parks?

Let's see - we would need one adult ticket for my wife ($84), two tickets for the kids ($74 each), plus $12 for parking. Add in meals, snacks, etc., and that free ticket would cost us over $300 for the day!

Now I understand why it seems so many people won the free ticket - Universal is banking on the winner taking his family with him/her.

I think we'll stay at Disney for the week where our tickets are truly free.

Frutilicious!

Postby KrakenKing » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:44 am

I'll probably use mine to bring my friends to the opening of RockIt
Game Info: Wii - 2307 3776 7719 1933 | PS3 - KrakenKing
TPR Trips: '07 Midwest Trip, '10 West Coast Bash

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 am

According to Screamscape:

"It may be a bit far away, but we’ve heard an early rumor claiming that Dueling Dragons will close entirely for it’s final transformation to become part of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter sometime between September and December 2009."
Steel: 135 | Wood: 40 | Total: 175

Last Coaster Ridden: Skyrush at Hersheypark on 6/25/14

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!