Photo TR: Chuck Looks Back at TPR's Europe Trip 2008

UPDATE: Final Thoughts (see first page for link)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ELZ » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:37 am

great TR Chuck, as Steve's said the captions really bring back the mood of the place!

Asterix was one of my favorite places of the trip, and personally, with an amazing woodie, best bobsled, cool dark ride, best spinning boat ride, awesome food, it actually gets my vote for the best coaster/park line-up of the trip.

The emoness in that photo, i think i was just trying to move over so that Lou and Dave could be seen as they're clearly trying to be a part of the picture!

Great stuff Chuck look forward to seeing more.

Donald Duck...

Postby SteveC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:50 am

ELZ wrote:The emoness in that photo, i think i was just trying to move over so that Lou and Dave could be seen as they're clearly trying to be a part of the picture!

Au contraire ELZ - what with Dave and Lou clearly completely ignoring the camera- je pense vous etes caught en camera releasing Le Gas n'est pas? ;)

Steve - Trying out Le Franglais ..une langauge nous can tout comprend-C

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:12 pm

^Hmm--I thought there was "something in the air" that day.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ELZ » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:42 pm

Au contraire ELZ - what with Dave and Lou clearly completely ignoring the camera- je pense vous etes caught en camera releasing Le Gas n'est pas?

you've just said that "i think you (plural) didnt think you were caught on camera releasing (english) petrol".

hehe. im sure i was trying to get everyone else in the picture. the smell in the air was the aroma of french youth!

Donald Duck...

Postby SteveC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:10 pm

[/quote]
you've just said that "i think you (plural) didnt think you were caught on camera releasing (english) petrol".

hehe. im sure i was trying to get everyone else in the picture. the smell in the air was the aroma of french youth![/quote]

Top translation - see how we all comprend the Franglais - mais un petit pois - I was not using the plural, but using the French use of the plural to indicate respect. BITE ME...oh and give me some dates for the October UK sacrefest.....Hijack over Chunck....keep it going....slowly remember :| ;)

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby funkybadger » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:25 pm

ELZ wrote:[the smell in the air was the aroma of french youth!

Also known as "farmpit"!

Farmpit = smelling like a barnyard animal

OR

Farmpit = foreigner + armpit

Feel free to incorporate this into your vernacular! :lolr:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:01 pm

^Hmm--I used to have a bad case of "farmpit" when I worked for my Dad during apricot season.

Moving right along . . .

Chapter 3: If It’s Tuesday, It Must Be Walibi Belgium
It’s tempting to label Walibi Belgium the “Fuji-Queue” of the Europe trip, because it’s a park with a bunch of low-capacity rides, but huge crowds. But that would be a bit unfair. I think it’s a much better park than Fuji-Queue—it’s prettier with better themeing and more enjoyable.

But those crowds on June 24, 2008, and all that “French crunching,” were pretty annoying.

Fortunately, Robb and Elissa had arranged some much-appreciated morning ERT, not only on the park’s woodie, but also on the lower-capacity coasters. This let everybody get their credits in and still have plenty of time to hit the park’s other main attractions. Again, my thanks to Robb and Elissa for ensuring that everybody could maximize their fun, even when the park is crawling with obnoxious kids and teenagers.

Here’s how the coasters stack up (best to worst):

Turbine—Leave it to Anton Schwartzkopf to grace Walibi Belgium with its best ride: a classic shuttle loop in a box. You’re launched into complete darkness, so the loop is a huge surprise, even though you know it’s coming, and the train climbs nice and high on both the front and back spikes. Nice work, Anton!

Calamity Mine—Europeans must love mine-train coasters. There were quite a few of them on this trip, and they were all pretty good. Walibi’s was very nicely themed to the American Southwest and even threw in a few waterfalls. Lots of fun.

Loup Garou—I was a bit disappointed in this woodie. It’s an OK ride, but it seems to shuffle a lot (at least when I rode it). This is too bad, because I really like Tusenfryd’s Thunder Coaster (another Vekoma woodie).

Cobra—On the one hand, this may be the best boomerang I’ve ever ridden; on the other hand, that’s not saying much. It’s like saying that one punch to the jaw is better than two punches to the jaw and a shot to head. Like saying that a tension headache is better than a migraine. Like saying that I’d rather shoot myself in the head with a .22 than a 12 gauge. (OK, I’ll stop now.)

Coccinelle—This tiny ladybug coaster is really for kids and credit whores only, and not always for the latter, it seems. Robb persuaded the operator to let our group ride it for one lap, two adults at a time—provided that we say, on camera, that we are “sad and pathetic.” Did anybody turn him down?

But Walibi Belgium’s best attraction, for my money, was its shooting dark ride, Challenge of Tutankmamon. This trackless Sally dark ride offers plenty of targets, loads of atmosphere, and even a bonus room if you car scores enough points. (Mine didn’t, but some other TPR members did.) There’s even real fire! La Chambre Magique du Zanzur is a very good madhouse ride about dueling Arab magicians, hampered by its lousy operations: Instead of cycling the ride for one group while letting the other watch the preshow, guests are forced to wait outside while one group gets the preshow and the ride. This seems counter to any other madhouse attraction I’ve ridden, and it doubles the wait time. There’s also a good, reversing log flume with the sneakiest queue I’ve ever seen (more on that later).

The park’s newest attraction, a suspended coaster called Vertigo, was down for the count, which was unfortunate; so was Vampire, the park’s Vekoma SLC, which was just as well.

Many of the group also checked out the ropes course at Adventure Parc. I gave it shot, but being as you could fit all my athletic ability into a thimble and still have room for my knowledge of quantum physics, I didn’t last long. Still, I was curious because I’d never done anything like that before, and my thanks to Elissa for the opportunity. My hat’s off to all those who outlasted me at Adventure Parc.

And now, a look at both Walibi Belgium and Adventure Parc. Well, mostly at the former. And there was an impromptu snooker tournament the night before.
WB 03.jpg
TPDave so regretted teaching Larry how to play snooker . . .
Viewed 3515 times
WB 01.jpg
. . . that he impaled himself on his own cue.
Viewed 3515 times
WB 02.jpg
For my money, KidTums snookered them all. On to Walibi Belgium!
Viewed 3515 times
WB 04.jpg
And here it is.
Viewed 3515 times
WB 05.jpg
WB has a very nice entrance . . .
Viewed 3515 times
WB 06.jpg
. . . and, unfortunately, a functional Vekoma Boomerang.
Viewed 3515 times
WB 07.jpg
"Hi there! I'm Satan! Enjoy my ride! Think of it as punishment for 'original sin.'"
Viewed 3515 times
WB 08.jpg
It is crucial that all Boomerangs be thoroughly documented.
Viewed 3515 times
WB 09.jpg
After all, we must make sure that future generations . . .
Viewed 3515 times
WB 10.jpg
. . . profit from our mistakes.
Viewed 3515 times
WB 11.jpg
"OK, you can keep the Boomerang and leave now, or have what's in the box! Whaddaya say, pal?"
Viewed 3515 times
WB 12.jpg
Everybody chose the box.
Viewed 3515 times
WB 13.jpg
And no one regretted it. Turbine is fun.
Viewed 3515 times
WB 14.jpg
I think someone must've slipped Loup Garou some wolfbane that morning.
Viewed 3515 times
WB 15.jpg
The poor werewolf wasn't howling too loud that day. Maybe if I'd ridden it under the full moon . . .
Viewed 3515 times
WB 16.jpg
I pretty much fail at being a werewolf. I do sort of look like Henry Hull in "Werewolf of London," though--but I didn't have "a Chinese menu in my hand."
Viewed 3515 times
WB 17.jpg
What is it with European parks and American "Wild West" themeing? They're really good at it.
Viewed 3515 times
WB 18.jpg
Even down to the drop tower. More to come.
Viewed 3515 times

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:41 pm

More ramblin' round Walibi Belgium.
WB 19.jpg
Sing it long, and sing it loud!
Viewed 3502 times
WB 20.jpg
I'm sad and pathetic . . .
Viewed 3502 times
WB 21.jpg
. . . and I'm proud!
Viewed 3502 times
WB 22.jpg
"Hello! I'm Tut! Can anybody recommend a good orthodontist? No? Well, curse you all, then!"
Viewed 3502 times
WB 23.jpg
I have no idea what this old guy said, but I think it boils down to this: Grab gun. Shoot bad guys. See fire.
Viewed 3502 times
WB 24.jpg
"There's a bit of a line for the flume, but it doesn't look too bad. Let's check it out."
Viewed 3502 times
WB 25.jpg
"Wha? There's a whole other freakin' queue in here?"
Viewed 3502 times
WB 26.jpg
"I'm afraid it's far worse than that, gentlemen."
Viewed 3502 times
WB 27.jpg
"There are queues within queues."
Viewed 3502 times
WB 28.jpg
Well, at least it was a good flume, anyway.
Viewed 3502 times
WB 29.jpg
It's a rather long wait for wetness, but isn't it always better to take things slow?
Viewed 3502 times
WB 30.jpg
"I am the genie of the lamp! What is your wish, my master?"
Viewed 3502 times
WB 31.jpg
"Let's see. You wish to make many people stand in the blazing sun, . . .
Viewed 3502 times
WB 32.jpg
. . . form a ring around a magic lamp, . . .
Viewed 3502 times
WB 33.jpg
. . . then ignite your own flatulence? The wish is granted!"
Viewed 3502 times
WB 34.jpg
Vertigo just looks so industrial. Really, I can imagine the shipyard in Newport News, Va., using a similar rig to move parts around the drydock. A bit more Walibi and wee bit extra to follow.
Viewed 3502 times

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Walibis, ropes, and awards next.
WB 35.jpg
Hmm--either this joint is owned by some guy named "Whisky," or somebody needs to bone up on their punctuation.
Viewed 3496 times
WB 36.jpg
And to think they banned the Frito Bandito in the States.
Viewed 3496 times
WB 37.jpg
"I swear, if I get 'French crunched' one more time . . ."
Viewed 3496 times
WB 38.jpg
So, what else is good at Walibi Belgium?
Viewed 3496 times
WB 39.jpg
Definitely not this tie.
Viewed 3496 times
WB 40.jpg
And now, for those who want to indulge their inner Tarzan . . . Adventure Parc!
Viewed 3496 times
WB 41.jpg
"Oh, I am so not doin' that one!"
Viewed 3496 times
WB 42.jpg
It's quite a pretty place, though.
Viewed 3496 times
WB 43.jpg
"Pathetic fools! Don't they know what they're in for? We've been stuck up here for days!"
Viewed 3496 times
WB 44.jpg
"Aw-ee-aw-ee-aw-ee-aw!" (Actually, Chris has far too much dignity to do a Tarzan yell.)
Viewed 3496 times
WB 45.jpg
A boy and his pole.
Viewed 3496 times
WB 46.jpg
"Larry! Larry! Larry!"
Viewed 3496 times
WB 47.jpg
It was awards time that night in the hotel bar.
Viewed 3496 times
WB 48.jpg
Winners in Big Mike's Trivia Contest get to choose from these fabulous prizes!
Viewed 3496 times
WB 49.jpg
And here they are!
Viewed 3496 times
WB 50.jpg
"OK, Joe--you can keep this beautiful, Big Mike-designed plaque, or take what's behind Curtain #2!"
Viewed 3496 times
WB 51.jpg
Joe's wife, Liz, was the first winner of Elissa Bingo. Her prize? She gets immunity from Dave's carnivorous bees and rocket-launching bears. Oh, and an auographed copy of Brian Keene's "Dead Sea" (a very good zombie novel). That's all for now.
Viewed 3496 times

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:12 pm

Ok, I have to ask. Did anybody try the waffles while in Belgium? Seriously...

Another winner of a TR. The Roo Tie was the clincher. =)

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive