TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Relationships

Blink

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Valentines, I must say that it is a depressing day for me. I hate walking around school, seeing guys with their girlfriends making out and such. When will a coaster nerd girl come along? The other thing that sucks is when the girl you like is already taken, or the love is unrequited. I think tomorrow I'm gonna get myself drunk off of chocolate.

When will a coaster nerd girl come along? The other thing that sucks is when the girl you like is already taken, or the love is unrequited. I think tomorrow I'm gonna get myself drunk off of chocolate.

This is the absolute wrong mentality. If you're waiting for a girl with your exact same niche interest and hobbies, you're going to be waiting a long time, if not forever. Try to broaden your interests, or just find someone you can have fun with. You're young, you probably aren't going to find a perfect match immediately.

Crap, why do you have to be right, Wes? Well, I guess if everyone thought like the way I did, then no one would be together. And also, I do think it would be kind of rushing to be looking for true love while still in my adolescence. One strange thing I've noticed is the belief about love at first sight. At school, I once saw a girl that I liked because of her outward appearance, but once I worked up the courage to talk to her (I'm a shy guy, go figure), I realized she's really nice, and fun to be with. Even though I'm not together with her, it is still great to be friends with her. Besides, when you're friends first, then the relationship will be stronger.

^You're right, if you're friends first, then its more likely to work out, or at least last longer because you already know you like who that person is on the inside.

And what Wes said is exactly right, just find someone you love to be around, and have fun with, and go from there. You can't just wait and hope a girl who loves your hobbies comes along.

^ I'm not saying I don't agree to this (especially at such a young age), but I admit that the coaster thing isn't something I'd really compromise on either. I did date an enthusiast for 4+ years and took it for granted. I could say things like "Did you hear Thunderhawk moved from Geauga Lake to Michigan's Adventure?" and it would be mutually understood. With anyone else, they would be like "What's Thunderhawk? Where's Geauga Lake? Where's Michigan's Adventure?" A 20 minute conversation that I'd probably regret bringing up just because it's really not all that important.

And that's not a bad thing, but like I said I took it for granted. I'll admit also that the idea of a non-coasterluvin' boy turns me off too just because I've seen so many of my guy friends have to "baby" their significant others onto coasters and sit out on rides and be the shoulder for their girl to cry on when they're "too scared." I KNOW it's bad/shallow/bitchy, but I just couldn't deal with that. I've often joked that, if that ever happened to me, I would just look at the person and say "I'm sorry, I don't think this is going to work out," right then and there. It's too big of a part of me.

So while I agree that you shouldn't hold out for someone who exactly shares every one of your interests, I can't forsee myself marrying someone who wouldn't ride Renegade 27 times in a row because I feel like I would be repressing who I am, and that's not cool.

Wow, that makes me feel like a horrible person for saying that.

But, then again, the ratio is in my favor .

^ With all the coaster boys around here, the ratio is in your favor!

But one comment you made, timberskara, is dead on: "you shouldn't hold out for someone who exactly shares every one of your interests." When you have different interests, it gives you additional stuff to talk about. It wouldn't matter how much I loved anyone, I wouldn't want to do everything exactly the same. You do need time apart---that makes the time you are together more refreshing.

Eric

The most important factor in any relationship: don't nerd her out. Don't spend the entire date talking about the coaster trip you went on last summer. That is defenitly a way to loose a girl. Also another thing that chicks dig is if you're a gentlemen. Yes, you have to open doors for them, and no, you don't slam it in their face. I'm happily taken with the best girl I could ever imagine.

---Brent

sfotkid wrote:

I have a girlfriend. And she likes to ride my rollercoaster.

What, so she likes kiddie coasters?

(sorry, I couldn't resist that one, I'm just kidding)

LMAO! Thanks Downunder! Remember our chat sfotkid!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

-Tatum

OMG I just boarded up that Haunted House!

I just spent 250 Dollars at a Texas De Brazil for me and my girlfriend.. Whoopee. No but it was awesome.

To those who are lonesome.. One word... Jeurgins ,kept me busy for 4 years

My boyfriend is a dorky ex-ACEr who likes to ride coasters and watch Transformers, and I wouldn't want him any other way.

I wish there were more women like you!

So while I agree that you shouldn't hold out for someone who exactly shares every one of your interests, I can't forsee myself marrying someone who wouldn't ride Renegade 27 times in a row because I feel like I would be repressing who I am, and that's not cool.

Suddenly, I wish I were 5 years older.

I feel like such a jerk, I dumped my GF the day before valentines. I dumped her after the valentines dance (we had it early) and she was doing the whole, i'm grinding with another girl, but I like guys.

Wait... what?! Did that not make a shred of sense to anyone else?!?!

He's Canadian. I think they do things different there.

The most important factor in any relationship: don't nerd her out. Don't spend the entire date talking about the coaster trip you went on last summer. That is defenitly a way to loose a girl. Also another thing that chicks dig is if you're a gentlemen.

Well said.

Brent, seriously, are you sure you're not lying about your age? I'm starting to believe you're 24, not 14.

Wow, that makes me feel like a horrible person for saying that.

But, then again, the ratio is in my favor .

Being fussy (if thats the right word) doesn't make you a horrible person, and on the other side of things I agree you also shouldn't go out with someone who you don't feel you can be yourself around. I guess there is a point of comprimise, and some people may be willing to go futher than others. If I had just met someone and they just didn't want to either share one of my hobbies, or at least let me do it without them if they didn't want to come along, I would have a serious problem with it. I've found that a relationship where you can do cool stuff together but also have freedom to do stuff apart works really well for me.

And the ratio is in your favour yes, especially if thats you in your avatar.

As a person married to another enthusiast it is a wonderful thing to be able to share, and for me it was a hobby that must be shared for me to see a future together. The traveling involved and the going to the parks was just something I had to have in common with whoever it was I dated. I can honestly say every girl I dated really enjoyed going to parks and there was a couple girls where the relationship never left the friend stage because we did not have that in common. For me and to understand me we just had to be alike on that issue, several other of my interests do not match my wife at all and it causes no problems.

^ I'm not saying I don't agree to this (especially at such a young age), but I admit that the coaster thing isn't something I'd really compromise on either.

And that's not a bad thing, but like I said I took it for granted. I'll admit also that the idea of a non-coasterluvin' boy turns me off too just because I've seen so many of my guy friends have to "baby" their significant others onto coasters and sit out on rides and be the shoulder for their girl to cry on when they're "too scared." I KNOW it's bad/shallow/bitchy, but I just couldn't deal with that. I've often joked that, if that ever happened to me, I would just look at the person and say "I'm sorry, I don't think this is going to work out," right then and there. It's too big of a part of me.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Everyone has standards they want their significant others to have, be it hobbies, morals, whatever. I have no problems with my girlfriend not being that into coasters. She likes going to parks enough and has a good time. I really couldn't care less she won't ride Xcelerator or that more than two spins on any coaster gets her sick. I just consider the coaster hobby "me time".

For me, I don't think I could date someone who didn't have similar tastes in music and movies. I'd rip my head off if my girlfriend wanted to listen to Staind or Aqua or something while we were driving somewhere. Not to say we have to have the exact same tastes, but straying too far away from what I consider enjoyable would mean a quick exit out of that relationship.

Long term, you're absolutely right. You don't want to be with a person who doesn't share your interests.

However, what I tend to see on roller coaster forums (and I've been on enough of them over a long ass period of time) is that there's a lot of kids waiting for the next "Elissa"-type to pop in and fall magically in love with them because of their sweet No Limits tracks and impressive knowledge of coaster stats. This will rarely, if ever, happen. Look at TPR, I think these forums are maybe the most female friendly of all the coaster sites, yet I don't think we have more than a dozen active females under 30 or so. Not good odds for the 16 year old looking for their Intamin loving dream girl to sweep in.

I was in the same boat when I was that age and it got me nowhere. That's why I suggested broadening their interests. Don't give up coasters obviously, but pursue other hobbies. It's much easier to find a photography geek girl who likes coasters than it is to find a coaster geek girl who likes photography.

Obviously the female contingent has it much easier, as the odds are good in your favor (even if most of the goods are odd).