TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Dark Ride

Dark rides are awesome! I went on every one I could when I was in Disney two weeks ago.

^As for the Great Adventure fire, my parents and a group of their friends were there the day that it happened, and if my mom hadn't gotten hungry, the death toll would have been 16 instead of 8...

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like dark rides. After going on thrill rides all day, it's nice to go on a slow moving, relaxing ride that is still interesting. I agree it's too bad that many parks got rid of them, since although some new ones are being built, it seems like there are less and less of them around.

I do like a good dark ride. It's too bad that Six Flags parks for the most part don't do them, but given the audience they seem to attract, the rides would be vandalized in no time.

Eric

I wouldnt say that, a perfect example of a long time dark ride still in a condition as if it just open yesterday (as far as all working animatronics) is Monster Plantation at Six Flags over Georgia, and original six flags. That attraction is far from being vandalized.

Besides Outer Limits and Disaster Transport, it dont care for dark rides. Sometimes a ride is better when you can see the elements and the height of the track. Like for Hades, the 90 degree turn would be better if you can see it!

Uhhh those arent "dark rides" . Now they are ROLLER COASTER rides in the dark but not what a traditional dark ride would be. A dark ride would be something like Cat in the Hat @IOA or the Scooby Doo haunted mansions attractions done by sally corp.

You know what, the funny thing is that in my latest issue of "Roller Coaster!" they have a behind-the-scenes look at blazing fury that shows the track diagram!

Jarvis "I guess joining ACE is a good idea!" Morant

Do you HAVE to be in ACE to see the diagram?

John "Been looking for a track diagram of Blazing Fury since I was 10" Stevenson

Dark rides are really cool. Western Playland used to have this really cool dark ride. It was called the Gold Nugget. Since I know the owner he told me that used to be one of their most popular ride. It ended up burning down due to a electrical short. It really hurt the park. They ended up putting up a Chance Pharohs Fury ride. It seems to be pretty popular but according to the owner the Gold Nugget was much better. It was a little cheap dark ride but even some cheap dark rides are cool. I was never able to ride it but my mom and her siblings would always ride it and they said they loved it. The best part of the ride was when the little car was going and it was pitch black, then all of a sudden all these lights pop out and all you here is a huge rig. Outside of the ride in the que, there was this anamatronic skeleton playling a piano. What I have heard of it, it sounded like a great ride.

Tower Of Terror is my absolute favorite non-coaster ride, but I'm also very fond of the Disney jeep system... (Indiana Jones, Dinosaur...) I'd kill for a ride on Journey To The Center Of The Earth.

My other favs are Spiderman and Darkastle, I love that ride system!

I have a love/hate relationship with dark rides. I love a lot of them, but hate riding them for the first time! I have a horrible fear of being scared and fear of the unknown. Riding Haunted Mansion for the first time, I was petrified...then it was over and I felt so stupid for being so scared! And the first time I rode Snow White's Adventure's at Magic Kingdom...there's a place where the wicked queen is looking in the mirror, then she suddenly turns around and she's the hag...I just about wet myself!!! But after the first time, I knew it was coming and have been fine every time since.

On my last trip, I think I did four new-to-me dark rides...At Kennywood, I did Noah's Ark (hated it), Gold Rusher (was ok, with just a couple of scares) and Garfield's Nightmare (loved it...my kind of dark ride!) and the Whacky Shack at Waldameer (scared out of my mind as I rode, but decided it wasn't so bad once I was done).

-Julie

The same diagram was in a recent issue of Barl of Fun, the official newsletter of the Darkride and Funhouse Enthusiasts. I am a charter member and a frequent writer for the newsletter.

Our website, www.dafe.org, has a complete list of dark rides in North America. Anyone that has some good ridethrough footage, I'd love to trade with you. I have a decent collection, including some walkthroughs that we have had at DAFE events.

Dark rides are having a bit of a Renaissance thanks to Sally. And of course rides like Darkastle and Mummy keep coming out.

As far as a great dark ride park, Rye is full of classic dark rides, with state-of-the-art stunts.

Everyone loves the Knoebels' Mansion, but for a true trip to the past, the Sylvan Beach Laffland (a bit East of Syracuse, NY) is a perfectly maintained classic Pretzel dark ride. It's like being at media day for a Pretzel in the 60s.

Rastus O'Ginga

The best Darkride I ever did was in a Museum here in Holland (Yes, in a museum!)

It's just wonderfull, nice theming (Trains, it is in a train museum, so real trains...) and some nice suprise effects, Speedups, vertical drops and heat effects.

There sould be more like that one

A brilliant dark ride on your first go is almost as good as an amazing coaster on your first go, however the novelty starts to wear off on dark rides as they are based around the story, atmosphere and theming compared to the adrenaline and forces that a good coaster delivers.

My favourite dark rides have to be

Hex: The Legend of the Towers at Alton Towers due to the setting and atmosphere even though on some of my most recent rides it has been wrecked to annoying girls screaming throughout the whole ride, which mutes out the brilliant soundtrack.

Phantom Manor at DLP Due to the fact it has so much to look at, and the attention to detail is superb.

and Spiderman at IOA Do I really have to explain why I think this is awesome? The 3D effects used and the fact how all your senses can detect something such as the smell of burning when the villian throws fire

at you to the various unique places and ways you are thrown around whilst on the ride.

Uhhh those arent "dark rides" . Now they are ROLLER COASTER rides in the dark but not what a traditional dark ride would be. A dark ride would be something like Cat in the Hat @IOA or the Scooby Doo haunted mansions attractions done by sally corp.

Oh i guess your are right. Well then If coasters dont count, then I dont like ark rides.

BTW, the quotes are no working for me. Why do I get so dumb aroung summer time

Our website, www.dafe.org, has a complete list of dark rides in North America. Anyone that has some good ridethrough footage, I'd love to trade with you. I have a decent collection, including some walkthroughs that we have had at DAFE events.

I have full ride footage of Monster Plantation @ SFoG, Treasure Hint @ Myrtle Beach, and Haunted Hotel @ Myrtle beach but that footage didnt come out that well it was pretty dark in there.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to re-open a thread 2 years later, but Im new

I like Pirates of the Caribbean, and definately Disneyland Paris' "Phantom Manor"

I used to like Toyland Tours at Alton Towers but it closed and became a new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory thing.

My favourite is probably the walk-thru dark ride Trauma Towers at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. The owner of the haunted hotel invites you to dinner, but the Baronial Dining Hall is on the other side of the hotel, so you have to walk through it, through spooky scenes like the library where the books slide in and out, as well as some general slopy floor haunted fun house style stuff. Then you get to the dining hall, sit around the dining table, and then you realise... it's a Tageda, hehe.