TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Discussion Thread

I have been a huge Kings Fan for the past 13 years or so. It's hard at times yes, but they are my team and I won't abandon them. I believe we are offically out of the playoffs for this year now, but the future does actually look bright. We'll have high picks both this year and next. not to mention a core around Frolov, Kopitar (spelling?), and Jack Johnson. Give it some time and I think the Kings will actually be a force in the west.

My team, the Avalanche, isn't doing so well. I'm still pulling for them, but now I guess I'm a Predators fan too because my favorite player, Peter Forsberg, just became one.

Even though I'm not a Pens fan, I'm glad the arena deal went through- hopefully it'll give the city a boost.

I'm ecstatic that the Pens are staying in Pittsburgh, and receiving that new arena they've deserved for years. I'm also glad to see them winning again after all these painful years...I only wish I could go back to college and face down all those guys who took the time to tell me how bad the penguins sucked after seeing my favorite Pens shirt...damn Sabres fans...

• 5 months later...

I just went to the Canes' first preseason game this past sunday against the capitals, and it was a good game to watch! Washington scored in both the first and second periods to make it 2-0 going into the thrid, but then one of the minor leaugers and Erik Cole scored within a minute of each other to tie it up 2-2. Washington took a 3-2 lead with 2 minutes to go, then Justin Williams tied it up again with a minute left. And finally in overtime, Cole go the gamewinner.

if this is any indication of the season ahead for Carolina, this is going to be a good year for my team. LETS GO CANES!

if this is any indication of the season ahead for Carolina, this is going to be a good year for my team. LETS GO CANES!

It's not.

Pre-season means very little. Or at least the first few games don't.

It's not until the last couple pre-season games that you start seeing teams ice a team close to what will start the season.

The first few games of the pre-season teams put out mostly their rookies and prospects to get an idea of how they're developing. That, and any bubble players who are trying to make the team.

So it's hard to get a good judge of how the team looks, when both teams are mostly players that will spend the year in the minors.

I know it really isn't, especially since John Grahme, last season's back-up goaltender, was the one who gave up the first two goals, he will probably be the back up again even though Micheal Leighton look much better than him. In spite of it not really meaning anything, I can at least be hopeful since they didn't even make the playoffs last season. For all I know they could occupy the celler in the Southest Division, but I sure hope not.

I'm a die-hard St. Louis Blues fan and I'm amped about this season. We improved a lot last year and this year we added Paul Kariya and Dan Hinote to the roster. Plus, Manny Legace is back in the net. If Kariya can stay healthy, I definitely think we'll have a playoff run this season. That's all I'm hoping for... a trip back to the playoffs.

In spite of it not really meaning anything, I can at least be hopeful since they didn't even make the playoffs last season.

It's going to be tough for the Canes though. They didn't really improve much in the offseason, and a handful of other teams in the conference did.

Personally I don't think the Canes will make the playoffs this year. Though anything can happen.

Though you do play in that crappy division which pads your point total.

Random NHL-connection note:

During the TPR Japan Tour (that just ended), I was at our final hotel's swimming pool having a really nice hour+ of swimming, sauna and jacuzzi... and this guy with his wife and two young daughters comes in to use the facilities.

I heard them speak english, eventually started chatting with them - and found out they were originally from Toronto AND he used to play in the NHL???

With the Boston club? His name was JOEL PERPIC and he now has been playing hockey with the Japanese team who (gulp) OWNED the hotel we were staying at, AND also his team owned a baseball team in the Japanese League. The family lives 8 months in Japan, then back to Toronto for the four summer months.

Talk about a random NHL connection, huh? And I don't even follow hockey that much, sorry.

But I just had to put this little tour 'event' somewhere, hmm? And this immediately seemed like the perfect place, heh heh.

(EDIT: They were also in AWE of this Japan tour we were finishing up. And they planned to "look TPR up" when they got the chance, lol.)

^

I'll take your word for it, since I know absolutely nada on hockey and the NHL, lol. Was a nice guy to chat with, and and wife was great too. Daughters were nice happy children, too. A pretty good Canadian family to bump into, near the end of my tour.

~ ~ ~

Well, considering him and his family live in one of the top suites in the hotel for several months of the year, I'm sure it's practically an apartment-style level of living, hmm? So he must be paid pretty good to play in their leagues over in Tokyo/Japan.

IMhO

In spite of it not really meaning anything, I can at least be hopeful since they didn't even make the playoffs last season.

It's going to be tough for the Canes though. They didn't really improve much in the offseason, and a handful of other teams in the conference did.

Personally I don't think the Canes will make the playoffs this year. Though anything can happen.

Though you do play in that crappy division which pads your point total.

Gotta love the Southeast, although I think it is a better division than it gets credit for, especially with Atlanta and Tampa Bay being pretty good teams, But I will admit that it is probably the weakest division in the Easten Conference. The Canes were pretty quiet this offseason, but they brought back Cullen, who was significant for them in the Cup year. I think one thing they need is a good back up goaltender. It was a real shame that Gerber left, but he wanted to be a starter, which Cam Ward had won that role with his Playoff perfomrance. If Ward doesn't give up as many flukey goals as he did last year, and who ever the back up is can be consistent, goaltending for the canes should be good.